Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I have a new iPad 2 with minimal light bleed. To the point that I only saw it when I turned the screen full brightness (auto turned off) and I just had a black image on screen.

In real world use, I don't notice it at all, it's about the same as my iPad 1 was. Either they fixed the issue, or maybe I'm not looking as hard.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Man.
I'm still happy with my replacement, but my sister just got a white wifi 64GB at best buy a few weeks ago, and it's freaking perfect.
I couldn't resist taking it into a dark room (that sounds naughty) and cranking the brightness on a black screen, and no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't see ANY bleed.
I definitely do not want to exchange mine again, but I'll admit, I was a wee bit jealous of her screen. :D

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Definitely going to get a replacement now.

tell us how it goes, I've been through 5 replacements all of them have been bad on one way or another, the one I have now 1/2 the screen has a very yellow tint while the other side has a bluish tint. Apple said the only thing they will do for me right now is to do a refund. I am probably going to buy a new one next week with my iPhone 4S then return my old one.

ctc799

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a launch iPad 2 and it has a little bit of light bleed in the corners. It wasn't bad enough to make a difference to me.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
got a replacement for mine. new one is perfect. its actually a new unit.. warranty starts today. the orginal warranty was from may 12, 2011-may 12, 2012. i made sure to screen shot what apple showed as the warranty when i entered the serial.

only issue..

new one is 13.8gb where as old one was 14gb.

cant win em all :/

secksthoi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
I just bought an ipad 2 this morning from the Apple store. As I was reading from it, I noticed the left side was slightly dimmer than the right side (on full brightness). I thought it was the way the app was designed to give it a magazine look or effect like some apps do. But the further I was reading, it started to bug me. So I changed the orientation around back and forth and the dimness sticks to that particular side.

Not exactly a backlight bleed, but uneven brightness. So it really is just a luck of the draw, even this late in the production cycle, really.

Oh, also minor issues to bring up. The home button is slightly raised so it catches dirt and a small dust particle under the screen, but now we're just splitting hairs. :rolleyes:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Do you guys think the iPad 3 or iPad 2S will keep the same physical design as iPad 2?

This is my hope. The reason being is I returned both iPad 2s I tried for backlight bleed.

I'm hoping the physical design remains the same and I can get that same "feel," from the iPad 3 or whatever is next, while maybe gaining a closer to retina display. Or, even if backlight bleed is still present, at least I won't end up with two of the same physical generation with backlight bleed.

Will Apple save a complete physical redesign for 2013? I hope! 2012 will be the year of iPhone 5 I think.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
I might take mine back in 2 weeks' then when i get to the apple store and see if they can fix it or replace...

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
If it's any consolation, my university bookstore has 4 ipad 2's on display. All of them have bleeding to some degree or another. The one I got two weeks ago has slight bleeding along just the left hand side and the warmer Samsung display. If you only have a little bleeding, consider yourself very lucky!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hey, guys. I posted the following in it's own thread, but with only one response there, I was hoping some people here could help me with the following:

"Back in March, I purchased the iPad 2 online the hour it was released. When I received it, it had the most horrendous backlight bleeding. I sent it back in hopes of purchasing one when the issue was sorted out. It doesn't seem to have been much, but I may take another shot at it. I know 100% that it is either an assembly issue or an inherent design flaw. Because of people reporting such varying degrees of the issue, I am more inclined to think it has something to do with assembly.

If I were to order an iPad 2 from Apple at this point, would one think it wiser to purchase a new unit from the factory or a refurbished unit (in regards to how to best avoid the screen bleeding issue)?

Oh, and please do not tell me not to use the iPad in a dark room because I will be using it to watch letterbox movies in the dark in bed ... and I am also not about to avoid high brightness (I prefer higher brightness) or dark screens simply to ignore the issue. I am simply asking which type of order I should place, in your opinion, to avoid the issue - new or refurb. Has anyone had any experience with both new and refurb units who could share their experience?

Thanks"

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
So do the iPad 2's still have this problem?

Ordered mine on Day 1 and I would love to get it replaced even at this point as long as I am still under warranty.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
How about this kind of light bleed? This can be seen near the camera when looking at a fairly sharp angle (was tilting iPad down so the unlock slider is upside down). Bad photo, yes... it's the bright line near the top right of the pic.

EDIT: Exchanged it, new one is perfect. Sweet :)

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
iPad 2 White 32gb purchased from apple.com on Dec. 27th. The camera actually makes it look very bad. I have a new one being shipped overnight as of now. I will take the replacement out, fire it up and make sure it doest exhibit the same problems. I honestly didnt notice it except on the settings screen down at the bottom. This pic was taken in a dark room with a black screen up from google.

DSC00380.jpg

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
iPad 2 White 32gb purchased from apple.com on Dec. 27th. The camera actually makes it look very bad. I have a new one being shipped overnight as of now. I will take the replacement out, fire it up and make sure it doest exhibit the same problems. I honestly didnt notice it except on the settings screen down at the bottom. This pic was taken in a dark room with a black screen up from google.

Not uncommon .. I've had mine replaced for less light bleeding

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Not uncommon .. I've had mine replaced for less light bleeding

The funny thing is, I dont think I would have noticed it if I didnt hear about it here. For some reason, the camera makes it look far worse than it is. I have some more pics of the screen with movies etc.. running.

Here are some more pics.

Huge black bars at top and bottom
DSC00388.jpg

This is what I first noticed this morning. Right under the "Restrictions" bar about middle way through it at the bottom:
DSC00395.jpg

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Here is the same movie running in portrait mode. If you look real close you can see the outline of the screen. There is basically no light bleed that I can see.

DSC00386.jpg

Pic of the home screen.

DSC00384.jpg

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I don't really see it but if you KNOW it's there and it's under warranty they have to replace it

Yeah, I talked to applecare this morning and have a new one being overnighted now. I told the guy from applecare, that if the replacement had this problem, I would just keep getting more until they sent me one that didnt.

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I don't really see it but if you KNOW it's there and it's under warranty they have to replace it

Here is one from the movie home screen. You can see it a little better here mainly because of the camera. It is not this pronounced in person.

DSC00394.jpg

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
^ I see it now . The good thing is that apple has to replace it until youre satisfied . I'm on my 3rd iPad . I paid $700+ for something .. It better be perfect

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
^ I see it now . The good thing is that apple has to replace it until youre satisfied . I'm on my 3rd iPad . I paid $700+ for something .. It better be perfect

You think I should just replace it until I dont see it? Honestly, the one I have is pretty darn good. i was almost just inclined to keep it because it doesnt bother me. The rep actually said that this is a known issue, but chances of getting the same problem was rare. I laughed.

----------

what happened to the first two iPads?

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
I purchased the iPad 2 on launch day in the UK last March.

During the first two weeks I was incredibly bothered that I'd paid a lot of money for a screen that had light bleed on all sides. Image below.

I took the iPad back for a replacement and, whilst I don't have an image of the screen, it was marginally better.

I decided that, since the problem only exists when I'm watching movies in the dark, usually in bed, that I would try and get used to it. It has bothered me ever since but I could not bring myself to exchange time and time again in the hopes of getting a better model.

Within the past 2 weeks another problem has occured - one which, whilst maybe not technically correct, I can only describe as image burn. After browsing on Safari for maybe 30-40 minutes, on pressing the home button I would see a ghosted address and Google search bar at the top of my screen, just above the app icons, as if the image had burned into the screen.

So I took my iPad back to the Apple Store [Regent Street] today and they exchanged it.

I've just done the obligatory testing and am delighted to report that there is virtually no light bleed. I could be picky and say that there was a tiny bit on one of the shorter sides of the screen but I know that it isn't going to cause me a problem.

Hope this helps those who are still in search of a better copy.

Original iPad:

27y28o3.jpg

Today's replacement:

1075312.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.