Banned from the Apple Store, iPhone 3GS Stupidity...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TurboSC, Jun 20, 2009.

1. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm beyond furious right now. Not only did I pre-order the iPhone 3GS a day after it was announced, I sat in line all morning on Friday waiting, only to have Apple / ATT activate my 3GS BEFORE I paid for it... so Apple can't sell me the phone that's activated in my name, sent me to AT&T store, they didn't do anything because I had no proof of purchase, because it was sitting in the box at the Apple store. Got the managers to talk to each other, the AT&T people on the phone couldn't work it out. I ended up going BACK to Apple, so they called Helifax to roll back my account to show my eligibility for the $199 / $299 ...

I called AT&T twice to confirm this morning the changes were made, both representatives noted they rolled back my account and I was ready to go for the full subsidy price. Drove to the Apple store, and they tell me it's not showing up in their system and they couldn't sell me the phone. I was so pissed at this point, I asked the manager if they could give me a general discount ( she mentioned it on Friday after me wasting 5+ hours at the store she would give me one ) ... so she says, "we can give you a 10% discount..." and to which I responded, "10%? I can get 15% with a student discount." All that very second after I finished speaking, the security guard was standing behind me, and after hearing me say it in a not so friendly tone, they said I was causing an issue and that I needed to leave the store. I asked to speak with another manager, who then told me that I declined the 10% discount and wouldn't be getting it, and that now I'm banned from the Apple store... wow, really?

All I wanted was people to do their ****ing jobs correctly the first time so I could upgrade to the ****ing iPhone 3GS, and because of their stupidity, I get kicked to the street, after wasting 2 days trying to resolve this issue with conflicting information from AT&T and Apple.

I left the Apple Store with a manager's name at ATT. So I drove to the AT&T store to talk with the manager, but guess what, they're all out of iPhones til Monday. Sweet.

Is there anyone I can e-mail or contact to lay my case out, because at the end of the day, the customer gets screwed over. I want to let someone in corporate know, so that hopefully in the future no one has to go through the same ******** I did these past two days.

2. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Email this to :

sjobs@apple.com

someone from corporate relations will probably get back to you.

PS.

Don't swear in the email.

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

honestly dude.. u need to relax... youre kinda going psycho... over a phone... you were mean to people that possibly honestly didnt know whats going on... over a phone...

5. kolax macrumors G3

Should have settled for the 10% discount..

I understand your frustration, but if you have ever worked in retail, you can understand you are probably the customer everyone dreads. Don't take this personally, as when I asked at the Apple Store to inspect my Mac for dead pixels, I said to the guy, "I know I'm the worst customer.. thanks for letting me do this" but at the end of the day, if you don't show respect and gratitude towards them, then why should they bother to try and help you?

If you read all the praises on the forums about the Apple Store, the customer has always been polite and understanding.

Treat this as a lesson on life. Just because it's an "Apple Store" don't forget real people work there, and real people have emotions and clocks that don't tick to bad customers.

Welcome to retail I guess..

6. threezero macrumors 6502

if what you describe is true. Report to better business burea and than report it to your local newspaper and possibility national ones.

This is obviously a mistake made by apple employee, any company that values its customer would owe up to it and offer you a new phone and fix the old phone they mess up in their own time.

I hope this works out for you, if not i'm sure the tabloids would love to cover your story and maybe stir it up enough for somebody with the high up the corporation ladder to care

EDIT: posted before seeing the above comment.

I worked in retail as well before and i know how hard this can be. But if I made the mistake that OP's sales made, I wouldn't expect the customer to settle for a 10% discount

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'd most likely cry a little bit if I was banned from the Apple store.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Something tells me you're the problem here.

9. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Honestly, if I had the I phone 3gs, I would just give you mine. ( Of coarse I would get one from you later but..). I feel bad for the situation you were in.

If i were you, get that manager's name at apple. "Call and get the manager's name who was on Duty that day and time."

Then try sending a few e-mails at different places. Also, if you want to try, type up something pretty nice, easy, and short ( An article) about your experience. And in the e-mail to Apple, mention some sites that you plan to tell your experience about the certain situation.

I wish you good luck, and place keep us updated!

10. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

Well Ron Johnson is Senior Vice President of Retail. You could e-mail him.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

That post pretty much sums everything up. Always be polite when asking for help.

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Maybe he's the kinda guy where absolutely everything goes wrong.

13. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

i'd kick you all the way to the curb too with a mouth like that ;)

cry me a river argentina

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey OP, shoot me a PM and I'll get you my email address. Also advise me on which store it was (I'll avoid it like the plague) and I can get you the info you might need.....

15. aluren macrumors 65816

just wait till monday. this is only a phone, it's not like you're starving and they're not selling you food...

16. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

17. Titan12 macrumors regular

If you feel like you were legitimately wronged, I would send my story to the Consumerist. (consumerist.com) They sometimes post the stories on their web page, and in many cases have helped get issues resolved for customers by doing so.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP this may be what you call a life lesson.

Anytime that you let your emotions get the best of you, it usually turns out bad. And in this case you were banned from the store.

Suggest that you write down what you remember. Then wait a week and re-read what you wrote. Then take action as appropriate be it counsel yourself or report the incident. Gut feeling is that it will be the former.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um student discounts do NOT apply to iphone hardware

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

(Sorry had to lighten the mood a bit.. but hope it works out for you.)

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree with the thoughts of the other responses. You got banned for being a d**k and discovering that hissy fits don't get you very far. Generally the longer you are incovenienced the larger your reimbursement will be. But you wanted your phone immediately and rejected their offer in an offensive manner. To be honest, there are parts of your story that don't line up but that is common with the victim mentality.

I'll keep saying this: The magic happens at AT&T. Don't go to an Apple store to do phone business. The preorder line at my AT&T store was five including me.

With all that said, it is unfortunate that you didn't get your phone. However, that decision seems to have been made by you.

22. masterell macrumors regular

I honestly have no idea why people are so blindly protecting Apple in this scenario - I'd personally like to think that Apple's customer services is next to none - as they have always been extremely polite to me here, but clearly in this case the OP has been taken for a ride.

You are absolutely entitled to complain here and I think that anyone who says otherwise seriously needs to reconsider their blind loyalty to Apple.

Write to Steve Jobs and make sure this doesn't rest..

23. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight. They offered a 10% discount on the 3GS and you declined? Where did you get the 15% student info? As far as I know, there are no discounts on the iPhone no matter who you are.

24. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Dude.. I completely and whole heartly understand your frustration.. and if your life is anything like mine, where one bad thing happens day after day.. then I could understand why you reacted the way you did.. HOWEVER, you should know that had you kept your cool and said thank you the ENTIRE time you were there, you probably would have gotten rather.. But you didnt..

I have been there.. But my guess is that you had the attitude from the begining when your phone wasnt there from the start. THAT is bad.. i was at a Bank of America trying to cash a paycheck.. They wanted to charge me $6.. I said no and made a little stink.. but not until i had exhausted my patients and all options with a snot nosed little kid manager with a chip on his shoulder.. But i have been there.. the only difference would be if you flipped from minute one when they said your iphone wasn't available to you

25. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I couldn't really understand it, and what I got out of it is that he whined a lot, caused a scene and then got kicked out.