Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
this has been going on too long wtf is this? just recently it did the worst yet..

-leave house, battery 42%
-walking outside check time, battery 42%
-10 mins later check for messages, battery 31%, phone shutsdown as it would with 1% battery, will not start again just shows plug into power screen until it "warms up", it was 10c outside not -40,with my hand in pocket holding the phone as always..
-soon as i get in the mall it started booting up the stopped and shutdown again MID BOOT..
-10 mins later boot up fully, battery 34%, shutsdown again in 1 minute
-10 mins later booted again, stayed on now the battery is 36%
-updating 2 apps over lte, battery shoots from 36% -> 20%, shuts down seconds after apps finished updating
-boots up again (boots fine when its "warm" room temp warm), battery 25%
-hour later it shutsdown again, countless reboot tries (outside again) it finally boots, battery 10%, shutsdown..
-get home, boots, battery 22%

for the next 4 hours the same shutdown/bootup battery going up and down keeps continuing until the battery is ACTUALLY down to 1%

ios 6 never ever did this, at worst it shutdown once at 4%. even using it in -15c cold winter it never did this. i always take care of my device and battery, i do the full charge/run down once or twice a month i do everything apple says on their battery faq, it has never been exposed to extreme cold or heat not even for short periods.

yes i reinstalled 7.0.3(and from dfu even though its no different), yes i wiped all network settings, yes i wiped ALL settings, yes i tried turning off lte, yes i did soft/hard reboots, yes i tried wiping everything setup as new, all same result, it is not my backup. it is also out of warranty as of sept when iphone 5 launched. im certain this is a software problem thats APPARENTLY NOT GETTING BITCHED ABOUT ENOUGH TO APPLE, not hardware..is there anyone else with this problem that found a magical fix that i havent tried?

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
calm down :)
Pretty sure it's a hardware problem.
you can replace the bettery by DYI, such as buying the battery online (maybe ifixit)?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
how is it a hardware problem when ios 7 beta 6 didnt do it, but put on gm/final & now 7.0.3, and this problem magically appears?

ios 6 didnt do that, ios 7 beta 1 --> beta 6 didnt do this.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Just restore the phone as NEW. I know you shouldn't have to but it will most likely take care of the problem.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
I've had the exact same thing happen twice to my iPhone 5 since updating to 7.0.3. Both at around 30-ish percent. One time I was on the phone with my wife and it just went dead with the spinning circle then cut off.

I remember thinking WTF because I didn't get any warnings about a low battery. I tried to turn it back on and it gave me the battery icon showing red telling me to if it in. I plugged it in and within about a minute it had rebooted and went to the lock screen with 35% and charging. Again, I said WTF and chalked it up as a fluke.

Then it happened again today. Was at about 32% or so and it cut off while playing music. I plugged it in and it rebooted.

I think came here to Mac Rumors to see if anyone else had the problem and I find this thread.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm pretty sure it's not hardware, since many people are starting have this problem since iOS 7 installation.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I can confirm 101% this does not happen on iOS 6.

During my trip to NYC on Labour Day weekend, I switched back to iOS 7 Beta 6 to use Activation Lock and being a tourist, you hear iffy stories about NYC the land of Apple dash and grab.

I've read about the 20% auto shutdown ppl started to have in Beta 6 and while I was out shooting some pics near Wall St, it happened and had to do 3 hard reset to resurrect my IP5 until I really had no power.

Currently I'm back on iOS 6 and this does not happen at all, only at the normal shutdown percentage of 0-4% the IP5 will shutdown.

PS:
Still using the same launch day IP5, nothing wrong with the battery on iOS 6.

Attachments

• 1377459_10151889896338908_1278225461_n.jpg
    1377459_10151889896338908_1278225461_n.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
To you or in general? I can assure you it happened to me on iOS 6.

Previous iOS builds from 1-6, if you have the auto shutdown before 0-10% you do have a faulty hardware and it ranges from the logic board or the battery with panic.plist error in diagnostic reports. Otherwise if your hardware is running fine, you won't have the auto shutdown at the odd battery percentage levels.

Software Auto shutdown = auto shutdown at 20%, 30% and 50%, which you can resurrect it with a hard reboot.

With faulty hardware auto shutdown, majority of the time you can't resurrect it by doing a hard reboot. A faulty logic board I've seen shutdowns at odd times with a purple screen, has the panic.plist error and the batter percentage never changes until you reboot it.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Just restore the phone as NEW. I know you shouldn't have to but it will most likely take care of the problem.

I restored my iPhone 5 as new and gave it to my fiancee when I got my 5s.. and she has similar problems, as did I before I restored it.

The problems I had weren't quite as severe as the one she's having now. The phone shut down the other day at 40%! With me it shut down at 21%, at worst. Usually anywhere about 10-15% would cause it to shut down.

And yes, this is only since iOS 7 GM has been installed. :eek:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I restored my iPhone 5 as new and gave it to my fiancee when I got my 5s.. and she has similar problems, as did I before I restored it.

The problems I had weren't quite as severe as the one she's having now. The phone shut down the other day at 40%! With me it shut down at 21%, at worst. Usually anywhere about 10-15% would cause it to shut down.

And yes, this is only since iOS 7 GM has been installed. :eek:

Man, it sounds like something is really screwed up. Try a DFU restore.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
theres already a thread on this (started by me), which no one believed.

ive the same issue

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Got the same issue and had the phone replaced by o2. It hasnt occured since then. I wonder where this comes from though.. If it's hardware it could be something with iphone 5 batteries dying after exactly 1 year. Or it's just the random ios 7 madness.

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Previous iOS builds from 1-6, if you have the auto shutdown before 0-10% you do have a faulty hardware and it ranges from the logic board or the battery with panic.plist error in diagnostic reports. Otherwise if your hardware is running fine, you won't have the auto shutdown at the odd battery percentage levels.

Software Auto shutdown = auto shutdown at 20%, 30% and 50%, which you can resurrect it with a hard reboot.

With faulty hardware auto shutdown, majority of the time you can't resurrect it by doing a hard reboot. A faulty logic board I've seen shutdowns at odd times with a purple screen, has the panic.plist error and the batter percentage never changes until you reboot it.

Gotcha. Mine definitely had the shutoff without ability to hard reboot resurrect it, and the battery percentage didn't change until I restarted it.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Gotcha. Mine definitely had the shutoff without ability to hard reboot resurrect it, and the battery percentage didn't change until I restarted it.

When my buddy told me about this, I really thought he was making BS up. He lived with is for months, until I finally got mad and saw it in person.

Did you also had the touch screen delays? Scrolling though the home screens would pause once in a while and keyboard typing lag?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
My 4S will usually die between 7% and 12% on iOS 7. It also jumps around a lot and is generally far less reliable. It worked very linearly on iOS 6, always shutting itself off at 1%-4% (usually 1 or 2).

I have yet to see less than 7% on iOS 7. It's not a hardware problem... those don't appear the day you update your OS.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada

already did that as i stated..

sometimes trying to boot it works but as i said only at "warmer" temps or itll just keep giving me the plugin to charge screen. i never had any purple(or any color) screens, no bsods, no panic.plist in logs ever, just a bunch of lowbattery logs from that day, some apps and a awdd log.

im out of warranty i doubt apple will even care enough about their customers if they were to diagnose it and find a hardware defect that clearly wasnt created by me.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
From the sounds of it you have faulty battery only. A friend of mine had the same symptoms and same diagnostic errors as you.

A few of my friends are getting their battery replaced by Apple for free since all these shutdowns are happening in iOS 7 and even the random ones you have too. No worries, they are all out of warranty on their IP5 and Apple is helping them. Just cross you're finger you get a good genius for your apt.

In general, it's doesn't solve the auto shutdown from iOS 7 and only improves batt life by a fraction for the general public, but your odd shutdowns will be solved for sure.

MacMike81

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
I've been seeing huge batt problems since iOS6.

I have a launch day iP5. I used to go at least roughly 1.25 of a day on a charge. Then iOS 6 came. I dropped down to 6-8 hours. And now iOS 7 my phone shuts off at 10%.

Just yesterday I went from 100% to 27% in 2.5 hours. I took 2 photos and made a 40min phone call. I powered off and back on and it said I had 47%.

Something is going on, it's definitely a software issue.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
iOS 7 battery was behaving weird for me on final version so I did a DFU restore. After that it's become more stable and predictable.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I've been seeing huge batt problems since iOS6.

I have a launch day iP5. I used to go at least roughly 1.25 of a day on a charge. Then iOS 6 came. I dropped down to 6-8 hours. And now iOS 7 my phone shuts off at 10%.

Just yesterday I went from 100% to 27% in 2.5 hours. I took 2 photos and made a 40min phone call. I powered off and back on and it said I had 47%.

Something is going on, it's definitely a software issue.

The IP5 came with iOS 6

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Did you also had the touch screen delays? Scrolling though the home screens would pause once in a while and keyboard typing lag?

I had that problem the first few days I got the 5s (launch-day order). I was about to take it back to the store and the problem completely disappeared and I haven't seen it since. I thought it might be Spotlight indexing or some other oddity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.