Battery draining too fast?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luminyx, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Luminyx macrumors member

I'm not sure if my battery is dying too quickly, so I'd like some input.

I've had my phone on since last night (97%) and I woke up this morning with it at 86%. It usually only goes down 3%, but this time it said the phone said that the entire time I slept, it was being "used" (if I check usage). I clearly was not using it.

Aside from that, it's now 1 hour and 40 minutes later and I'm at 68%. I have not been using it that extensively in this time. I typically need to charge my phone sometime during the day (I can't imagine it lasting me 24 hours). Currently, it says usage: 8 hours 27 minutes, standby: 9 hours 29 minutes. Over 7 usage hours was from the sleep from last night.

Fetch on (30 minutes) for two emails
    Brightness: ~35-40%, Autobrightness: off
    3G on, wifi off
    Bluetooth off

2. Ogrillion macrumors member

Seems kinda fast honestly compared to mine but I also don't fetch any email accounts.

I would try turning that off over night and see if your usage is better. I am new to the iphone world so maybe fetch doesn't use that much.

But over night while my phone is in standby I generally don't see my usage time go up much if at all.

3. TheBigYahi macrumors newbie

I had the same problem that I posted about in the battery thread. I think I nailed it down to a "backgrounded" app that was constantly running. In my case it was Slacker Radio on pause.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Make sure you don't have an app open that might drain it. Location services being on with an app that uses it would drain the battery.

5. Luminyx thread starter macrumors member

I had Safari opened (I think!) when I went to bed last night.

I don't doubt that I had something open in the background, but even ignoring that, I feel like the battery is dying rather quickly.

EDIT:
    This is my first iPhone, so I'm new to this.

6. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I nailed mine to my wifi/3g at night. I also make sure to close all apps. Drained 1% last night, but the speed on the first 10% drain seems so fast to me. I drained my battery to 90% in about a half hour of usage. After that they battery rocks.

7. Luminyx thread starter macrumors member

You closed all of your "multitasking" apps? I think I'll give that a try right now. 63% right now. Dropped 5% since I started this thread, and I haven't used it much at all.

8. headcheese macrumors regular

I was having the same problem with my ip4

Make sure that you close out apps in your dock (like others have said). Most don't really multitask but it can't hurt.

Also, run your battery down until it turns off and then do a deep charge (in the wall, not your computer, and let it sit for a bit on the charger once it is at 100%) and then do the same thing again. I did that and look at the battery life I got directly afterwords :eek:

Attached Files:

9. Luminyx thread starter macrumors member

*sigh* less than 20 minutes since my last post and it's 59%. I closed all multitasking apps. I've only used Safari a couple of times since.

Usage: 8 hours 57 minutes
    Standby: 10 hours 13 minutes

[Again, keep in mind about 7 hours 30 minutes is from my sleep last night]

10. headcheese macrumors regular

I'm telling you Luminyx, I was having crap performance EXACTLY like yours until I did the discharge/charge/discharge/charge :D

Did you happen to "restore from backup" when you got your new iPhone? Instead of "setting up as new"?

11. futbalguy macrumors 6502

You should probably do a couple things. One, turn off and turn back on the phone to give it a fresh start. That way you can be sure nothing is acting still running. Two, you should cycle through your battery a few times as suggested above. Its possible the battery meter just isnt displaying an accurate percentage. Run it down to 0% and then charge it back up all the way to 100% a few times. Your battery should easily last 24 hours unless you are using games or internet a LOT.

12. Luminyx thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I'm just a bit paranoid :p

Headcheese, I never had an iPhone before so I had nothing to restore.

Futbalguy, I already restarted my phone earlier (an hour or two ago). I will definitely take all of your advice!

13. brvheart macrumors 6502

I too was seeing terrible battery life. I had the following on -

Light surfing (both 3G and wifi)
    Approx. 30-40 txt
    5 phone calls ( less than 5 minutes each)
    Push on 3 accounts
    BT off
    Location on
    Notifications off
    Movie searching from Fandango app

And it looked like this -

[​IMG]

I did a complete discharge, a full charge over night and then shut off notifications, changed two of the push accounts to manual fetch and left the other on push - not sure which one(s) made the difference, but I am now seeing much better battery use. I am going to drain it completely again and do the same thing, then slowly turn things back on and see what happens.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

That's on my 32GB 3GS.
    I think I just need to cycle it a bit. Its much better now!

15. headcheese macrumors regular

Yeah try the charge/discharge. I never thought that it would help but as you can see my battery life this weekend was AMAZING! I was shocked!

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

For those doing the discharge/charge, it's not something to make a habit of (in other words, don't do it but maybe once a month).

17. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I use a battery app called Battery Doctor. I can tell how long the phone will last and can do a do a full cycle charge with it. It may help improve you battery life. Check it out in the App Store.

18. brvheart macrumors 6502

Good call Aggie - sorry I was not implying to make a habit out of it - I had not done that since I got my iphone 4, so two cycles will be it for me unless I see the usage etc go back down in a a month or two. Thanks for calling that out I should have been more clear.

19. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

So I just realized my battery problem is likely due to backgrounding apps.

And no way to universally turn off all background running apps? Seems like a fail. I don't even know how to see which app(s) are running in the background. Software update to help resolve this, please?!

20. stevenrobertt macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 battery issues ??

Has anyone had any issues with the new iPhone 4's battery?

My wasn't lasting a day on moderate use, so rung Applecare and they recommended putting it on a 16 hours charge, which i did. Now the thing won't even switch on. :mad: Tried all the different reset methods but nothing!!

To top it all off apple are saying that they can't send out a replacement for three weeks. Is anyone else having issues with getting replacements?

21. Macjames macrumors 6502a

22. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Why are you making a new thread for this? [Mod note: Threads merged] Why didnt you add your post to one of the existing battery thread?PS: My battery has been noticably better than my previous 3GS.

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

True background running Apps are rare but easy to spot. If running there will be a arrow or play icon in your top task bar. If you don't see one of these icons no Apps are running in the background.

24. nutmac macrumors 68040

Location service background apps are notorious for eating up battery (as well as making iPhone hot to the touch). On my iPhone, Trapster is the most notorious one.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Double tap home? Unless you're not on an iPhone 4 or have iOS 4, which means you don't need to worry about this anyway.