Battery life iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesk702, Sep 22, 2012.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

So how is everyone's battery life doing compared to the 4s?

I'm about to leave the house with a full charge on my ip5 and hopefully it's a little better than the 4s.

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

3. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

My battery life, for the most part, has been terrible. I took it off the charge about 5 hours ago and it's dropped to 60% with only light usage. I don't know if it's because the signal around here is crap or what, but it's bad. I even turned off LTE to see if it would help but so far nope.

I'm gonna try to do a full restore as a new phone to see if that helps but I'm not holding my breath.

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

For some reason it drains way faster over cellular than Wi-Fi.

5. Hmullen macrumors newbie

Not good. It literally drops 1 percentage every 2 minutes when useing anything on it. I've used it for 2 days, and turned off all battery draining items on it, and it still doesn't last long. Iphone 4 battery was better.

6. MacRetina macrumors member

MacRetina

The battery is great! I can last a whole day without charging it with medium usage like browsing, instagraming, tweeting and checking email.

7. droeun macrumors member

It is bad on LTE, worse than my 4. Not sure where they came up with 8 hours, but its half of that at best, and LTE signal is very good. A full charge and discharge helped but still not as advertised.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I love my phones battery life. Improvement over the 4s I had and a HUGE improvement over the S3 I was using.

9. FotoPhocus macrumors newbie

I'm at 38% right now. 4 hours, 29 minutes of usage. 7 hours, 20 minutes of stand by. Not sure if that's good or bad - never paid attention to what mine was on the 4.

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I was in the Apple store and mentioned that my battery life wasn't great. The Apple rep suggested that — since Denver doesn't have LTE up yet — it seems to be draining faster than normal. He stated that he switched his off and it made a big difference. YMMV.

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I don't see how these posts are accurate. When I left the house this morning, I was at 80%. That was at 7:30am. I am on LTE only, as I wanted to test speeds in downtown Chicago. I've used it quite a bit, and I am now at 38% and it is 2:15pm.

Using WIFI would improve battery life, I know, but as stated, I wanted to put LTE to the test.

I am very pleased with these results.

12. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Coming from a crappy ZTE-Blade (Android 2.2) which would last a max of 5 hours (in STANDBY!), its amazing.

Also, compared to a 3Gs - amazing.

Put it this way. Bought the iPhone at 1pm today. Home by 2pm and have been using it near constantly since. In that time I've had spotify running for 1 hour, whilst tethering to a macbook air. Also had loads of app downloads running, taking photos, watched about 30-40 mins of TV (Youtube and TV catchup).

At the moment the battery is at 54% (it was at 98% when I first turned it on).

One thing to note - there is no LTE in the UK yet, so this was on 3G (or whatever 'Three' runs).

13. CiFi macrumors newbie

Ok I just looked at my old iPhone 4. It still has 26% left from before the iPhone Launch. Get this:

USAGE: 15 hours, 45 min
    STANDBY: 1 Day, 16 Hours

WTF!!! My iPhone 5 just died with about 4 hours usage and 8 hours standby. What is wrong with the 5???

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Takes about a week to get that battery worn in

15. bigreat macrumors member

are you serious? Which elementary school tough you that?

16. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Did you guys restore from a backup or setup as a new phone? AT&T rep told my wife to setup as a new phone when she purchased hers and not restore from backup to avoid potential battery issues.

The battery draining 1% every couple of minutes definitely calls for setting it up as a new phone.

17. silverhick macrumors newbie

I've dropped from 80% to 44% in an hour on the road. Turn by turn was so bad I had to shut it off until I get a car charger. Anyone else seeing drops this bad?

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

My battery life is awesome on the iPhone 5 just like my 4S. This is still the first charge.

[​IMG]

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

GPS sucks the life out of any phone!

20. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

It's always been like this... lol

21. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

Got my phone yesterday and it had about 95% battery.

I have used 124 megs of data in the last day and I'm just now about 15% without a charge.

22. nanoblade macrumors newbie

Battery life dreadful, similar to the first 4S I had before replacing it and Apple releasing the first few iOS 5 fixes. Currently getting 4 hours 30min Usage before I hit 0%. That's simple usage too, no hard gaming, graphics etc. just reading, checking mail, music listening etc. This is nowhere close to the quoted 8 hours! I will be getting mine replaced next week and then going back to the 4S if that doesn't help.

23. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

An Electronic Engineering Certification.

An A+ certification as well.

24. aquadisiac macrumors 6502