Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
I was in panic mode. Besides there was a report that talked about those iPhones with bad batteries.

But they don't mention which ones were affected. Is Apple sending out emails to people with those models or... is this normal?

We just don't know.

I just hoped for more.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Because this is an unlocked phone and it was bought online and delivered. Who knows how long it will take to get another one.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because this is an unlocked phone and it was bought online and delivered. Who knows how long it will take to get another one.

Not much. They'll just give you an AT&T model which will be added to an "unlocked phones" database.

That's what happened with mine. You really are just fuzzing over this.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Not much. They'll just give you an AT&T model which will be added to an "unlocked phones" database.

That's what happened with mine. You really are just fuzzing over this.

Eh, they're always low on stock. But I might go if I have time.

I just don't understand. If this really was one of those defective phones and Apple already admitted that there were, then who knows which phones are the defective ones?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm returning this phone and Apple better put that money right back in my account!

Now it's at 73!!!!

At this rate, it will die before I even get to work.

I noticed that the location service indicator has been turned on. Is there any apps that is using your GPS in the background?

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Well I don't know about AT&T but I know the unlocked models are still in shortage. Coincidentally taking the longest to ship.

I noticed that the location service indicator has been turned on. Is there any apps that is using your GPS in the background?

All of the settings are the same as I had it when I had my iPhone 5c. Everything is the same.

The sad part is, I haven't even started using my iPhone yet. When I had my iPhone 5c, I used to be able to play Spiderman for 2 hours before it got anywhere near losing 20%.. but to go down to 50% before breakfast..?

This comes as a shock to me because I heard people saying that the 5s battery lasted longer than the 5c, so I was expecting double the boost.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Well I don't know about AT&T but I know the unlocked models are still in shortage. Coincidentally taking the longest to ship.

Unlocked models are just AT&T models without the lock. Also, bear in mind, if you buy an AT&T model full price, it'll be unlocked as well from factory (in store or online).

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
If I call Apple Care, I can tell them my serial number and they can see if this phone was affected with the battery issues.

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5s-battery-issue/

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If I call Apple Care, I can tell them my serial number and they can see if this phone was affected with the battery issues.

http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5s-battery-issue/

Or you could take it to an Apple store and they could swap it out on the spot if there is an issue they identify. Possibly even if they don't find issues.

Dr. Echsel

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Louisville, KY
well op, if that is the case, and you don't have any apps that are sucking the life out of your battery..

then I would suggest to exchange your phone, because the 5s has the best battery life I've gotten out of all my iphones, and I owned the original iphone

I remember the original iPhone's battery. Oh my God.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I just hoped for more.

Did you get the issue resolved? What you are experiencing happens every now an then to a lot of folks (including me). You have a rogue process and a reset (home and sleep button until Apple Logo) will stop it. However, it may return until you determine the root cause (which app or process).

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Well, my phone is not affected.

I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they said it was because of the iPhone 5s, it has doubled the processors (A7&M7&64bit) it just runs out the battery sooner, which I kind of thought.

:/

The 5c has a bigger battery without all the extra processors running it down.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Most people that never had the 5c didn't actually know that the battery is actually better on that one.

And 5s also runs hotter than the 5c too, which is what the agent told me. Which, wasn't a surprise.

But I don't really care because it's an advanced phone at least.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Most people that never had the 5c didn't actually know that the battery is actually better on that one.

And 5s also runs hotter than the 5c too, which is what the agent told me. Which, wasn't a surprise.

But I don't really care because it's an advanced phone at least.

I can't compare the battery life since I don't have a 5c, but the 5s is not in any terms hot at all.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I remember the original iPhone's battery. Oh my God.

It was great and lasted me four days. Back then, you didn't have Push, background process, LTE or even 3G. Also, only one app at a time meant power savings.

No fancy animations that required extra clock cycles in the CPU. Things were simpler and phones lasted longer.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
And the solution always seems to be, turn off all of these services, but the A7 is supposed to be able to run all that.

It's okay, it's okay. I just hope they get the battery right next time.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well, my phone is not affected.

I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they said it was because of the iPhone 5s, it has doubled the processors (A7&M7&64bit) it just runs out the battery sooner, which I kind of thought.

It doesn't have double processors per se, but the A7 is a faster chip and at FULL speed it can potentially use more power.

Everything in my experience, along with everything I've read says that the 5s has better battery life. This article at BGR is pretty consistent with my experience.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/05/iphone-5s-android-battery-life-comparison/

The 5c has a bigger battery without all the extra processors running it down.

The 5s has a higher capacity battery. 1570mAh vs about 1500mAh in the 5c.

macigo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
It doesn't have double processors per se, but the A7 is a faster chip and at FULL speed it can potentially use more power.

Everything in my experience, along with everything I've read says that the 5s has better battery life. This article at BGR is pretty consistent with my experience.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/05/iphone-5s-android-battery-life-comparison/

The 5s has a higher capacity battery. 1570mAh vs about 1500mAh in the 5c.

But there is a misconception here, the truth is, hardware wise the 5s bites off more battery life than it can chew, leaving the 5c being the phone with the most impressive battery life.

The 5S does have that higher capacity battery but it uses it, the 5C has more to spare.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
But there is a misconception here, the truth is, hardware wise the 5s bites off more battery life than it can chew, leaving the 5c being the phone with the most impressive battery life.

Like I said, the numbers on that BGR article are pretty constant with my experiences with these phones. I've also used the HTC One for about 6 months and battery life was awesome on the stock ROM, and not so awesome when running cyanogenmod or one of its variants.

Typically battery life on iPhones is pretty bad until iOS finally gets to the x.1 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.