Be carefull with cregslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benji222, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Just sold my old phone via cregs list and got lowballed to 325 for a unlocked 32gb 3gs(refurb with 2 cases and a never been put on screen protector...). I just wanted to get rid of it and pay for my new phone but man some people are such pricks. we agree on 375-400 and he comes from an hour away to say he wont pay for it unless i give it to him for 325.
    I know you all dont care, just saying. Please be clear and concise if you use cregslist. its kinda a crapshoot.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Did you sell it??

Oops, you did sell it. :(

So far I'm holding on to mine.

3. isaac65 macrumors member

Next time try craigslist.com. I've had pretty good results selling things on that site. :D

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

;)

5. revildab macrumors newbie

Why didn't you just leave? He came from an hour away to lowball you, the best you can do after that is waste his time and send him packing. There are plenty of other honest people who will give you what you've agreed upon.

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

Don't get stepped on, strictly address that's the final price, no exceptions.

If he offers a penny less, apologize and don't sell it to him.

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

It's a good thing I use craigslist and not cregslist. Maybe you wouldn't have that problem if you used craigslist.

8. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

yes sadly. i was so done with trying to that i just did it. seriously ******* that guy. :mad:
    he was just a prick and was so nice on the phone. I knew when i called him and he said, well talk when i'm there and ive run out of text messages that something was fishy... but not that fishy.

and ehh so i spelled craigslist wrong. who gives a damn.
    ****ing immaturity here is through the roof.

9. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It's kinda common knowledge that Craigslist isn't a great place to sell anything for much profit unless the item is in high demand.

Also, you could have told him you weren't interested in the sale (just like he told you) unless he paid for the price agreed on. I'm pretty sure he would have paid it if you stood your ground but you gave in instead due to whatever reasons.

10. chembox macrumors 6502a

You never had to sell the phone to him, there are plenty of people dying to get a 3GS, he was probably trying to see if you took the bait in lowering the price for the item.

11. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I know what you mean. Luckily I've had very friendly experiences on Craig's. You do have to sort through the junk emails and poor offers to find the right deal.

In your case, as long as you didn't waste too much time I'd have told him no deal. That's lame for someone to pull that on the price.

12. California King macrumors 65816

375-400? You should've both agreed on a concrete price. It also doesn't hurt to have him call you prior to meeting. I bet you could've figured out if he was serious or not. Also, when using CraigsList, it pays to be patient...trust me!

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

that's what i would do.

but if i absolutely needed the money i can see myself doing what op did.

14. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Unless you need the money TODAY (ie bills need to be paid today, etc) then most people can easily wait an extra few days to make the extra cash.

Cash flow = effort, in my opinion.

15. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

he called me like 5 times while driving. as i said earlier i knew something was up when he said that he would talk when he got there.

I "wasted" my time unlocking it for him and activating using my old sim card and all that. The guy didnt even know how to use the phone. I feel dumb about it but I said 350, final offer and he said no. I got greedy.

16. isaac65 macrumors member

Joke stealer! Lol

17. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

wow. you said final offer and still went lower?

that would make me feel like less of a person :eek:

18. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Eh, you got rid of it and you won't have to mess around with anyone else. Your time has to be worth something too. ;)

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I sold mine for the price we bargained, $375. I said on the ad that it was a firm price and that any other offers lower than that (emails asking for lower prices) were going to be deleted ASAP. I met the guy on Best Buy parking lot and sold it. No questions, on price. He looked at it, saw it was true to description, handed me the money (cash only) and we both went on merry way.

20. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

it does, sorry to post a personal experience. i was just pissed off.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, it gets beyond childish here if someone notices a typo.
    They automaticly assume and attack you on that.
    Kids nowadays I guess:D If they cant find anything else they pick on that.
    I agree though, you should have said sorry and send him back.
    He wouldnt have left without it and he didnt spend an hour to get sent back. He just tried to lowball you and it worked. Hope next time you'd play it better :)

22. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

Yeah, ill stop bumping my thread up and just let it get lost in the wasteland
    Next time i will have more communication, a firm price and not do it out of my house.
    The Guy just freaking called me and said he was coming after not contacting me for like 3 days.
    Peace guys, thanks for making me feel both better and worse about my failure on craigslist

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

is this your first craigslist transaction?

it's best not to do it at home.

24. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i don't use craigslist because people are so desperate to sell **** on there that they don't care about anyone else.. and you are a good example.. meanwhile I bet someone had e-mailed you offering full price..

I've told people I would buy something and they sell it out from under me while I am at work or on the way.. it's a shady scum type of people that use that.. expect to be scammed or ripped off, but as long as people like you let them do it, it will continue to happen, you have a right to say no, don't come here complaining about something you agreed to, though it is right to advise people how s#!tty craigslist is, I only use it to make fun of people in the personals :D

Yea I Guess you can shave my head.. OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT FVCKING BARBER SHAVED MY HEAD?!

25. egk69 macrumors 6502

ok, but after all, its not craiglist the one to blame, it is kinda you!

If it was me, I just pull out my middle finger up to his face and leave, its not like you were dying for the money or something!

Here in PR most of the people do that just to see if you actually fell for it, if you do, great for them, but if you don't then they start making better offers. I always ask higher than what I want and even when people ask me for the best offer I go a little bit higher so at the final negotiation if the guy try this i can always lower my "best offer" to what I really wanted.

Anyways Good luck next time!