Be Honest

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lawyer, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Lawyer, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Lawyer macrumors newbie

To all the folks out there that pre-ordered the iPad (myself included), did you get it cause you actually need it, or because it's just a cool new gadget? Personally, I got it because I don't have an iPad and it might be cool to have a tablet, by no means do I actually need it. My iPhone can pretty much do the same things. Oh well, I'm sure i'll love it! :)
    Edit: For those of you who thought I meant like literally need it, no, I meant you bought it because you would have a use for it that another product wouldn't provide. Or buying it because you like Apple gadgets. Thought I would provide some clarification.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I got it because I have to have the latest Apple gadget. I'm addicted. :apple:

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

nobody needs it - but it sure is nice to have!

4. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

why does it matter? as long as you are happy with your purchase ?

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

In my opinion, no one really needs an iPad, so I am getting it because I want one, not because I need it.

6. Lawyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, this question is very relevant, all though you're right, it doesn't matter. I just merely wanted to know.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

8. gregruns macrumors member

If you want it, if you love Apple stuff, go for it! Imho, no explantion or justification needed. :)

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I got it because I want the latest and greatest for the 100`s of apps I already own. As my apps get updated, I want the latest hardware to use them on.

10. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i don't NEED it, but i will definitely have lots of fun with it, and most likely going to be use it on a daily basis.. therefore it's a good purchase.

11. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

+1 :apple:

12. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I had one since the first one and I'm getting the new one because I'm a sucker for nice screens and I want the lte speeds.

The ipad isnt needed, but its my computing device of choice. I use my ipad more than my MBA and iphone and hands down my favorite apple product.

13. mcl macrumors regular

It's not food, shelter, clothing, or transportation. Nobody needs it. It's a luxury item.

14. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I don't have a laptop and so the iPad fits that niche for me. Without it, I'm either sitting in front of my computer at home, or trying to browse the web on my iPhone. So while I could get by in life without it, it sure is nice to have!

15. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Retina means a sharper screen when I'm reading software developer / programming ebooks. Do I *need* that compared to iPad 2? Nope. Does it make the ebooks a lot nicer to look at, especially when reading for HOURS? Yes.

Can I afford it? Yes. Even more so after getting $550 for my 64gb ATT White iPad 2. :)

16. doboy macrumors 68000

I have iPad 1 & 2. Do you think I actually need another? Of course I ordered the new one.

17. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Definitely don't NEED it, but it's very fun to have. It's a luxury for me, not a necessity. Than again a lot of the things I have aren't necessities. I could probably get away with a cheaper phone, car, computer, tv, couch, bed, etc.

I read on my iPad a lot. I also do quite a bit of development, so for research, reading, and developing purposes the new iPad fits my needs very well.

18. joshuaginter macrumors regular

Although I agree that people don't really NEED an iPad, it still brings up a different question: do people need a laptop or desktop? If you answer that question with a "yes", then an iPad is needed for some people. I know plenty of people who would find an iPad fully sufficient for their uses and don't need to buy a separate computer.

In fact, for my life, I could probably get away with not having a laptop at all. I can type notes in my classes, write full papers with an external keyboard, read all .pdf documents and chat with my friends. If I didn't have a laptop, I would NEED an iPad.

After having said all of that, I have an iPad 2 and a laptop. Because I wanted to have both.

19. mcl macrumors regular

Paper and a pen are cheap. You don't NEED an iPad.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Staying current with the newest Apple products is something I've done for years. Reading about them is one thing, buying and using them is quite another. I prefer first hand experience via ownership.

I buy most of them upon release since everything tech, advances so rapidly and many product cycles are somewhat short. That said, when I acquire one that I find above average in usefulness & enjoyment, I'll use it longer, sometimes even after buying the newest replacement model.

I've found (and not just with Apple) that at times newer is not always better, especially for my workflow. It's an interesting experience and one that keeps me from selling older gear just because it's not current. I end up with what I prefer as well as it's newer equivalent. Known as an upgrade to some but not to me.

It's only natural for any Mfg to push their latest product, yet they can't all be a home run. And that's the value of owning and using each and every one. There's simply no substitute for having first hand experience so one can decide for themselves. No relying on others preferences feedback & opinions. It's an interesting enjoyable way to go.

21. jm5309 macrumors regular

Oh it's not a need at all for me, but I seriously love it. Ever since they announced the first one, I couldn't wait to get it. I'd been using an iPod Touch before that, and would often wish the screen was bigger. The iPad was pretty much my dream device, and here I am upgrading yet again. Enjoy your new iPad! :)

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Need? Of course not. Want? Yes.

Why? The screen; I've disliked the pixelated fuzzyness of small text on the ipad and ipad2 as compared to the iphone 4 & 4S. I knew I'd be ordering a new ipad the minute one came out with a retina screen.

23. joshuaginter macrumors regular

How are you supposed to type out a full length paper for an assignment with a pen and paper?