Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
To all the folks out there that pre-ordered the iPad (myself included), did you get it cause you actually need it, or because it's just a cool new gadget? Personally, I got it because I don't have an iPad and it might be cool to have a tablet, by no means do I actually need it. My iPhone can pretty much do the same things. Oh well, I'm sure i'll love it! :)
Edit: For those of you who thought I meant like literally need it, no, I meant you bought it because you would have a use for it that another product wouldn't provide. Or buying it because you like Apple gadgets. Thought I would provide some clarification.

I have a use for it. Basically the Air was overkill and and I tried a Kindle Fire which was under thrill.

I could've just gotten by with an iPad 2, so it's wanting the latest and greatest in that sense. I feel the upgrade is worth it though.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I bought it cuz I wanted it. Passed on 1st gen iPad. Wasn't able to get iPad 2 for a variety of reasons. Wanted 3rd gen iPad as it;

A) is a cool new toy to play with. Will be my first iPad
B) will be perfect for traveling (no need to take MBP or crappy Dell laptop which can't hold a charge for more than 15 minutes and I'm too cheap/lazy to buy a new battery for it)
C) Completes my Holy Trinity of Apple products (MBP, iPhone, iPad) which is probably more important that anything else :p

feleciadenise

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
As much as I need sex and chocolate:p....Plus it will compliment my MBA and iPhone4S..I needed an in between :apple:device.

Seriously I've always wanted one but wanted to make sure the time was right, i.e tax return time (it is a must that I treat myself with my tax return each year)....Looking forward to my very first iPAD:D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Do I really "Need"one, no...I have an iMac, an MBP and an MBA....Some iPad specific apps I miss, but I could live without them if I had to.

Having said all that, I have owned a 1 a 2 and am waiting for my three...:)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
To all the folks out there that pre-ordered the iPad (myself included), did you get it cause you actually need it, or because it's just a cool new gadget? Personally, I got it because I don't have an iPad and it might be cool to have a tablet, by no means do I actually neFed it. My iPhone can pretty much do the same things. Oh well, I'm sure i'll love it! :)
Edit: For those of you who thought I meant like literally need it, no, I meant you bought it because you would have a use for it that another product wouldn't provide. Or buying it because you like Apple gadgets. Thought I would provide some clarification.

Every one says that the iphone does everyting they need and they dont really need an iPad..... Until they own one. I wouldn't like to live without one atall.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
To all the folks out there that pre-ordered the iPad (myself included), did you get it cause you actually need it, or because it's just a cool new gadget?

A little of both.

I have been intrigued by tablets in general so I ordered a Kindle Fire a month or so ago. The Android-based Fire is not as fully developed as iOS. For example Exchange integration via the 3rd party app Touchdown is poor in comparison with iOS' built-in tools. Software availability on the Kindle is also kind of weak compared to iOS. I was hoping a $200 Kindle Fire could do what I need from a tablet, but since it can't I'll give the ($600 32GB) iPad a shot.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
I got mine for two reasons:

1. No existing iPad

2. I'd like to replace a clunky laptop as the 'portable' device in my home

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
I'm Homeless

I need it. I am currently homeless, and so I use an app on the Appstore called Build-a-Tent. It folds the iPad out until it creates a tent I can sleep in. I definitely need it.

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Computer lab. Library. Typewriter (yes, you can still find them).

#firstworldproblem

Try learning to use a typewriter if you're blind. First world problem indeed ! It can be done but it sucks. Or try typing at a computer lab if you're confined to bed due to illness or disability. Etc.

Typing on an ipad wherever you happen to have to be (or to be fair any laptop with a screen reader to make the product accessible in the case of visual impairment) - much easier. So don't assume for a minute *everyone* can always use the methods you use.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I upgrade every cycle for 2 reasons. I do like to have the latest and greatest of course, and I sell the previous version for the minimal cost to upgrade to the new version.

I have found the iPad useful in so many ways, it has becoming my computing device for pretty much every computing need but the higher processing stuff that requires my MacBook like the Final cut video editing. It has replaced my magazines, books, newspapers, word processing, etc. It has become for my mobile video and paper products what the iPod was for my music. I am very excited about the higher resolution.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
"Need" is so subjective. A good question is whether the iPad is the best solution for your requirements?

I like leaving my laptop at work, but I also like being online for light work and browsing on the couch. I also like to travel. So for me the iPad is a great solution. And I can afford it. And I'm a sucker for great displays.

Easy decision for me.

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Try learning to use a typewriter if you're blind. First world problem indeed ! It can be done but it sucks. Or try typing at a computer lab if you're confined to bed due to illness or disability. Etc.

Typing on an ipad wherever you happen to have to be (or to be fair any laptop with a screen reader to make the product accessible in the case of visual impairment) - much easier. So don't assume for a minute *everyone* can always use the methods you use.

The visually impaired do not NEED a brand-new, just-released, luxury tablet computer. Nor do the bedridden.

----------

What I find amusing is those of you who find it impossible to admit that you simply want a new iPad. Rather than doing so, you go through all sorts of contortions to try to justify it as a need.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
To all the folks out there that pre-ordered the iPad (myself included), did you get it cause you actually need it, or because it's just a cool new gadget? Personally, I got it because I don't have an iPad and it might be cool to have a tablet, by no means do I actually need it. My iPhone can pretty much do the same things. Oh well, I'm sure i'll love it! :)

I am going to be getting one, although I own an iPad 1st Gen 16gb, I am upgrading for the new features and higher spec, and also to free up my current iPad to be handed down to someone I know who would love to own one.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Not sure exactly how "typing" on an iPad works for a blind person, but I was always under the impression that typewriting is something fairly easily learned by blind people.

For people with visual impairments, I'm sure being able to enlarge the fonts on the iPad must be a great aid in reading.

The visually impaired do not NEED a brand-new, just-released, luxury tablet computer. Nor do the bedridden.

Maybe not "need" in the strictest sense of not being able to survive without it, but it can certainly make life easier and/or more enjoyable. I had a friend who had difficulty sitting at a desk because of arthritis. She used to read and write a lot at her computer before her pain got bad. With an iPad she could read and write in her bed. Does she "need" the iPad? Perhaps not. Is her life significantly improved by it? Definitely yes.

What I find amusing is those of you who find it impossible to admit that you simply want a new iPad. Rather than doing so, you go through all sorts of contortions to try to justify it as a need.

I admit, I don't need to upgrade to 3, and I didn't need to upgrade to 2 either. I'm upgrading because I like having the latest and greatest, and I can afford it. But having an iPad -- any iPad -- has made life so much easier in many ways. I now have my entire ebook library with me wherever I go. I can edit work documents in the subway or the bus. I can go out to dinner and in-between dishes, I can text clients in Japan and discuss work documents with the clients while viewing the documents on my iPad. Before, I would have had to hold off on dinner until after I finished talking with the clients. Each one is a very little and almost inconsequential change, but taken together, the overall effect is that I feel so much more liberated about being able to be wherever I want, whenever I want.

We don't "need" computers to work, we could still do everything with pen and paper. But computers make our life so much easier and better. Same with the iPad, whether one has any disability or not.

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Maybe not "need" in the strictest sense of not being able to survive without it, but it can certainly make life easier and/or more enjoyable. I had a friend who had difficulty sitting at a desk because of arthritis. She used to read and write a lot at her computer before her pain got bad. With an iPad she could read and write in her bed. Does she "need" the iPad? Perhaps not. Is her life significantly improved by it? Definitely yes.

Yes. AN iPad. Not the just-released, brand-new one. A used iPad 1 would suit just fine. The discussion here is about the current-gen, just-released iPad, and people's justifications for buying one. Being visually impaired, having difficulties with arthritis, or being unable to leave bed are not reasons to claim one needs the latest and greatest. If your argument hinges on the form factor and functionality of the device, any device in that line satisfies your argument, not just the brand-new model.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
[/COLOR]What I find amusing is those of you who find it impossible to admit that you simply want a new iPad. Rather than doing so, you go through all sorts of contortions to try to justify it as a need.

You know, if you'd actually scan through this thread again you'd find all of 2 or 3 people actually calling it a need, one of which is clear what they need it for - as a portfolio device for their profession... and while of course there are cheaper alternatives (though with inferior displays..), arguing that is just being incredibly nit picky.. if you define need as nothing but the minimum level of food, shelter and transportation then you may be technically correct but I don't see how broadening "need" to actually be relevant to our daily lives is somehow foolish. It actually becomes a valid discussion if you do so, rather than silly droning on about the past.

Its the absolutely pointless stuff about pen/pencil/typewriters/disabilities that are causing arguments, not people truly saying its a core need they can't survive without.

Its not if its a "need" to survive thats important, its if its a practical genuinely useful device to you or a pure extravagance. The iPad is practical and useful for many people, and others do use it purely as a luxury. That difference actually has a discussion behind it, a technical definition of truly needing it is obviously a no and thus a pointless thread.

And its not like buying something for purely a luxury is even a problem as long as you can responsibly do so, so.... what are we even really arguing here? Ok, we get it - you don't "need" 99% of the stuff we buy (who "needs" a steak when you can survive on cheaper food?), get over it. Your tone in this thread is comical.

Last edited:

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I NEED it as its gonna be my electronic portfolio for my ART, Photographs of installations, Sculpture, Video Art, illustrations and it will be so handy taking to exhibitions and showing/meeting people with all your work in one tiny flat device instead of those A1 size portfolio case back then! This is evolution baby!

And the retina display is going to be so handy in that case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.