Beatweek calls Android platform "sinking ship", VZ needs iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Aug 1, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Sure, I'll get flamed for bringing this up in an iPhone forum, but the article seems pretty sold on that whole CNN report that 4 out of 5 Android users wouldn't purchase an Android phone again.

The article is here: http://www.beatweek.com/news/6810-verizon-needs-verizon-iphone-more-than-apple-after-droid-debacle/

The article continues to say Verizon needs the iPhone more than Apple needs Verizon (old news). I understand Beatweek seems pretty biased and in favor of Apple, but to call the Android platform a sinking ship? Hardly.

My overall question is if VZ finally gets an iPhone, will that be the near-end for Android? Good or bad for Apple in the long-run?

That last question may seem to have an obvious answer, but it's like saying if Microsoft died and Apple lived, would that not mean the end of innovation as we know it? Or would Apple be strong enough to breathe without a fear of being suffocated?

2. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Why would you get flamed for posting an article that basically says androids are going to fail?

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Android is a mess, period.

Different versions, are one thing, but letting anyone do what they want with it has created dozens of little variations that mostly suck.

4. Markisss88 macrumors regular

Markisss88

i was thinking the exact same thing but i dont think android is going under anytime soon.

5. MacJones macrumors 6502

I'm willing to bet the majority of Android users settled for an Android phone on Verizon because they didn't like AT&T's service.

6. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just seems like any Android-based thread gets immediately flakked because this is an "iPhone" thread. Just cautious I guess to the posters who are Apple anal and must only discuss anything Apple (hence my questions about Apple at the end).

7. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Possibly. I do know of a few who vocally support Android over Apple, but at least one seems to do it simply because he hates Apple.

In my observation, it seems like those who support and love Android are those who either a.) had a very negative experience with the iPhone b.) are on the PC side of the PC vs. Mac argument, and/or c.) simply want something against the "norm" of smart phones, which were predominantly iPhone and Blackberry.

While it seems like those who support and love iPhones are either a.) those who made their first venture into the smart phone world was with an iPhone and/or b.) are on the Mac side of the PC vs. Mac argument.

With that said, the majority of Android supporters don't seem to be "true" supporters, but more like the vengeful, jealous, or spiteful supporters.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The article was based on incorrect information

Their whole article was based on another reporter's mistake.

CNN got the original statistic wrong and had to correct their story.

Verizon also beat estimates partly because of selling Android phones:

9. MacJones macrumors 6502

I'll add a "c.)" to the iPhone supporters - c.) owned a Blackberry or Android device and hated it. I owned a Blackberry Storm and hated it with a passion. I finally got to switch to an iPhone this April when my contract ended, I bought a 3GS then upgraded to an iPhone 4 yesterday. I couldn't be happier with AT&T and Apple. :D

10. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretending for a moment that the statistics WERE true, I still don't think the Android platform would be a "sinking ship".

11. bks691 macrumors regular

I don't think android ever hit ship status, pool raft maybe ;)

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the only verizon/android users I know have android (rather than iphone) for this reason.

13. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

+2 :cool:

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It is, but it has a strong backing by a group of die hards that feel, however misguided that belief may be, that the chaos instilled by carriers and phone vendors wishing to mold Android into their own image is worth the "freedom" it gives them.

And, it has Google's backing. So, it's not going away anytime soon.

15. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Verizon can get the iPhone if they get rid of CDMA.

16. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Apple needs vzw more than vzw needs apple now.

17. iBryton macrumors regular

I will bet all of you by the year 2015 the only phone out there will be iPhone

18. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I'm going to screencap what you just said, and if doesn't happen, you owe me 27 internets.

19. cirial macrumors regular

Think about how many phones Apple is selling everyday. I think you got your statement backwards.

20. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Apple is doing great on their own. They can hardly provide iPhones for a single carrier in the U.S., let alone if they had two or more. International releases would be postponed even longer.

VZ isn't going to get the iPhone until AT&T has LTE and so does VZ.

21. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Yaeh OK Don't be fooled Steve Jobs is very worried about Android/Google and they have alot of backing from companies Steve tried to crush like Adobe for one.

22. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

The way I see it is that by the time an iPhone hits Verizon AT&T's service will be just that much better anyway, and Verizon could wind up losing more customers to AT&T (T-Mobile if they get an iPhone since it makes sense they are on GSM). AT&T is putting money into their service and towers, hopefully they do a lot more sooner so the iPhone stays explicitly with AT&T, I just want to see Verizon drool as they blew it when they had the chance.

It will be interesting to see but I also hear everyone I talk to about AT&T, stating they are happy, they love their iPhone and most ppl really do not wish to go back to Verizon because the BlackBerry's are getting stale, too many models of Android based phones out there with too much disparity in versions. People who switch to an iPhone on AT&T rarely go back, maybe if Apple makes a USA Unlocked version they would sell a lot more and make more money, besides the only other game in town is T-Mobile who supports GSM.

Android needs to make one OS 2.x something and stop with the cheap lower versions like 1.6 etc, they need to stick to one platform, and maybe work with 1-3 vendros, right now anyone can make an Android based phone, not a good way to complete. My older son and Wife got the HTC Droid Eris in January 2010, the phone as of June is not only not being sold by Verizon, it is discontinued, so I have no Faith in Android, or Verizon. Verizon seems to push model after model out quickly before the prior model got to be stable, it is much better to have less variants and more stable phones then just sell what you can. Now if I had to pick any of the Android based phones out there it would be the HTC Incredible, a really nice phone with a ton of great features and not bad at $199.99 but HTC and Verizon are having trouble stocking them because of the Sony Screens.

I think personally it is too late int eh game for HP to revive Palm OS, and I think Microsoft has waited so long in the game they will almost not sell any new devices, but we will all see in the next 4-5 months.

23. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

The statement is correct honestly VZ doesn't need the iPhone at all.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who the hell is beatweek?

I think what is wrong here is that people want a media device first and a phone last.

No, some of us after being with AT&T, before that Cingular, and before that PacBell Wireless are jumping ship for the Android because unlike many, I need a phone first and a media device second. I also believe that the majority of people who suddenly dislike the OS have never actually used it. It needs some work but so did the iOS.

25. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

If you make a statement back it up ? Verizon refused to bend over for Apple and rejected them,AT&T chose to bend over and was selected. Verizon's infrastructure is way ahead of AT&T and will continue to be so in the future which is why AT&T holds on to Apple for dear life.