Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Why wouldnt a company who rules the business world not be able to appeal to the business world? You dont think Sharepoint and Exchange integration, tight integration with Office, and a company who understands the business world would be able to succeed in it?

Android unless overhauled will not succeed in it, iPhone needs a lot of work before it will, RIM is on its way down most likely. I see Microsoft's WP7 doing pretty well in it if they make the right moves which they are plenty capable of.

If history is any tell, WP7 has to completely blow iOS and Android out of the water for it to make a dent into the smartphone world. It'd almost be better if, kinda like the merger between major cell companies Sprint/Nextel and Cingular/AT&T, if RIM and Apple combined and Android and WP7 combined, or vice versa. Or even RIM and WP7 merge, creating a very powerful business-savvy OS for phones. Considering MS's grasp on business and accounting, that could be potential for a great OS dedicated for corporate offices.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like the sinking ship known as android is now the top selling mobile OS in the US as according to NPD

source: endgadget :D

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
If history is any tell, WP7 has to completely blow iOS and Android out of the water for it to make a dent into the smartphone world. It'd almost be better if, kinda like the merger between major cell companies Sprint/Nextel and Cingular/AT&T, if RIM and Apple combined and Android and WP7 combined, or vice versa. Or even RIM and WP7 merge, creating a very powerful business-savvy OS for phones. Considering MS's grasp on business and accounting, that could be potential for a great OS dedicated for corporate offices.

The way I see it is that the business world is run by IT. They make the people carry blackberry's right now as shown in the company I work for. If you can work your way in with them and integrate well you can easily take the spot of the blackberry as the default business phone.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Looks like the sinking ship known as android is now the top selling mobile OS in the US as according to NPD

source: endgadget :D

I don't know who this "endgadget" person is, but Beatweek said it's over for Android. Who are you to question Beatweek? As the old saying goes 'From the glossy, digital pages of Beatweek (formerly known as iProng) to God's eyes.'.;)

skimmymilk

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
The only problem is that AT&T's service is really horrible, especially compared to Verizon. If you look at the growth of the Android vs the iPhone, they have both been growing at a rate about 2% per quarter. Given that the iPhone has about 30% market share while the droid only has 10%... but as you can see on billboards everywhere, Verizon is not letting go of this race just yet. It would be really interesting to see if the iPhone platform gets released to Verizon customers... What would happen to the Droid? I actually have both, the iPhone and Droid (Business/Personal)... and there are definite similarities between the both, while at the same time, huge differences. I would have to say honestly though, that the pros and cons are about equal, and it becomes more about nurture and preference. If you started off with a Droid, you'll probably stay with it due to comfort level. If you began with the iPhone, then you're probably not going anywhere.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I would have to say honestly though, that the pros and cons are about equal, and it becomes more about nurture and preference. If you started off with a Droid, you'll probably stay with it due to comfort level. If you began with the iPhone, then you're probably not going anywhere.
Unless you get bored out of your mind with either OS. I had all iPhones before the 4 and it was a jailbreaking good time, more than 3 years. When I used iOS 4 for a few months and had the chance to upgrade, I went to the Captivate.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Can I just say that if we think the lines for the genius bar are bad now for iPhone appointments, just imagine what happens if Verizon gets the iPhone!

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Unless you get bored out of your mind with either OS. I had all iPhones before the 4 and it was a jailbreaking good time, more than 3 years. When I used iOS 4 for a few months and had the chance to upgrade, I went to the Captivate.

I hear you on that one. I've had them all except for the 3Gs iPhone. I didn't think it was leaps and bounds better than the 3G, but when I got to see the iPhone 4, I wanted it bad like I wanted Jessica Alba....But it seemed to me that it was the same-ol-iPhone. Hardware upgrade was awesome, but I feel they needed to upgrade the OS too. I know i'll get flamed for saying that, but the little tweaks they did, in my opinion, are short of anything magical. I guess once one is perfected, it's hard to reproduce something better. So I still have my iP4, and it was time for my wife to upgrade, so Samsung captivate here we own. I have to say, it's a very nice phone. It has its shortcomings, but the fun of learning something other than iOS, is very welcome right now.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I hear you on that one. I've had them all except for the 3Gs iPhone. I didn't think it was leaps and bounds better than the 3G, but when I got to see the iPhone 4, I wanted it bad like I wanted Jessica Alba....But it seemed to me that it was the same-ol-iPhone. Hardware upgrade was awesome, but I feel they needed to upgrade the OS too. I know i'll get flamed for saying that, but the little tweaks they did, in my opinion, are short of anything magical. I guess once one is perfected, it's hard to reproduce something better. So I still have my iP4, and it was time for my wife to upgrade, so Samsung captivate here we own. I have to say, it's a very nice phone. It has its shortcomings, but the fun of learning something other than iOS, is very welcome right now.
You shouldn't be flamed. iOS4 is pretty unimpressive. However, I think we'll get something very cool and redeemable out of 4.2. To me, the added speed and the unbelievable camera have made my 3Gs to 4 upgrade worth every penny.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Android is a sinking platform. It's got metaphorical holes all over. Security holes, UI holes, hardware holes, software holes and more. Security is almost nonexistent on Android because of the open marketplace. The UI is terribly inconsistent even in just the native apps. The hardware is also inconsistent because of all the buttons, trackballs, keyboards, screen resolutions vs screen size and sometimes lack thereof on some devices. Software is inconsistent because even the newest devices are running older software and need to be hacked or tricked into updating to the latest version unless you want to wait for the carrier. And even then, a firmware update is device specific. And lastly, the API holes are the biggest of all. I still have yet to see a game that can rival the graphics of an iPhone game (even the FREE ones).

iOS, while not impressive from release to release, is a very organized platform. It's easy to understand what it's doing and why from bottom up. Android from a developer's POV, is a mess of frameworks. Everything is fractured and split up from bottom to the very tippy top (UI).

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Andoid is so overrated, it seems that Andoid devices like the Droid are not without their share of problems, and I think people are starting to realize this. On the Verizon forums there are a few good data capacity issue threads starting to pop up related to all the Android devices.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
IPhone 4 is so overrated, it seems that iOS devices like the iPhone 4 are not without their share of problems, and I think people are starting to realize this. On the AT&T forums there are a few good security issue threads starting to pop up related to all the Apple devices.
;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Andoid is so overrated, it seems that Andoid devices like the Droid are not without their share of problems, and I think people are starting to realize this. On the Verizon forums there are a few good data capacity issue threads starting to pop up related to all the Android devices.

Relatively true.

IPhone 4 is so overrated, it seems that iOS devices like the iPhone 4 are not without their share of problems, and I think people are starting to realize this. On the AT&T forums there are a few good security issue threads starting to pop up related to all the Apple devices.
;)

Relatively false.

Android has more problems because there are more hardware and software configurations. It's harder to troubleshoot problems when you have an array of different devices on different versions of software. iPhone problems are easier to fix because there are retail stores with trained experts that can help you. There are fewer hardware and software configurations. After owning both devices from both platforms and in a daily usage situation, I know iOS > Android from developers to consumers to businesses. Android still may appeal to some people for certain uses or reasons. It's not a bad platform, but it won't beat iOS's solid foundation. If Google organizes it, then it could be really powerful.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I know several people that have droids because they were already on Verizon and they thought switching to ATT would "be a hassle." My one friend even went on to say he "waited a long time" for the iPhone to come to Verizon but he was well overdue for an upgrade so he settled for a droid.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It is, but it has a strong backing by a group of die hards that feel, however misguided that belief may be, that the chaos instilled by carriers and phone vendors wishing to mold Android into their own image is worth the "freedom" it gives them.

Truer words never spoken.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
The only problem is that AT&T's service is really horrible, especially compared to Verizon. If you look at the growth of the Android vs the iPhone, they have both been growing at a rate about 2% per quarter. Given that the iPhone has about 30% market share while the droid only has 10%... but as you can see on billboards everywhere, Verizon is not letting go of this race just yet. It would be really interesting to see if the iPhone platform gets released to Verizon customers... What would happen to the Droid? I actually have both, the iPhone and Droid (Business/Personal)... and there are definite similarities between the both, while at the same time, huge differences. I would have to say honestly though, that the pros and cons are about equal, and it becomes more about nurture and preference. If you started off with a Droid, you'll probably stay with it due to comfort level. If you began with the iPhone, then you're probably not going anywhere.

The statement you made that Verizon is better than AT&T is based purely on your own experience. When my wife and I moved into our new house, Verizon had no service in my house. Stand outside the front door and I had full service. For me and my wife, it rendered them (our phones and Verizon) useless. Thanks to their excellent customer service we were refunded the 4 months of service that we used in the new house, even if we were "window dialers". We used that refund to shop for a new carrier and Cingular had the best coverage for us, in our house. This was 4 years ago and we haven't looked back. Each person has a different experience with each carrier. Don't generalize. Just because they have more subscribers doesn't mean they are better. There are quite a few corporate entities that use Verizon only because they give a cheaper rate. My corporate BB is provided to 30% of my companies' 89,000 employees. I can guarantee had even T-Mobile offered the same plan at 5% less cost per employee, Verizon would be gone.

To the OP: Three years ago I bought my first iPhone and at the time it was the newest player on the block. iOS and its forbearers have been steady with upgrades and consistent. This has been key for me. Four weeks ago my AT&T contract expired and I decided to give Android/HTC EVO a shot. Long story short, the phone was great. No flaws, quick, reliable and Sprint's service was decent. Great 4G reception and excellent selling point. Then we get to Android. Once I had the battery situation under control (somewhat) I began customizing. Once that was done, I felt like "now what?" In my opinion Android still lacks polish to truly compete head to head with iOS. Here's my logic- iOS, on many levels, is still a more refined user experience. It's easier to use for new users in the smartphone environment. My parents both purchased iPhone4's so that we can all use FaceTime. They were on Verizon and left them to utilize this feature. Also, Verizon sold a load of Droid's when they offered the buy one, get one free deal.

To me, this is one of the reasons Apple both retains and gets new people to iOS. Also, Verizon and many other carriers offer multiple Android powered handsets, even if most of them DO NOT share the same version- ie: 1.5, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2. This needs to stop because that means many people's Android experience WON'T be the same as others and not necessarily in a positive way. Fragmentation is not good- this creates upset users that don't want to have to upgrade a reasonably new phone just to get to a newer version of the OS. Google should have mandated that each carrier could not change the OS by slapping a useless skin over it. And yes, I'm referring to Sense too. Sense is a battery hog. For a lot of subscribers, the only upgrade they have as far as smartphones is to try Android. I think that should Apple sell a CDMA version of the iPhone, Android's growth will slow by quite a bit. There's a possibility that Gingerbread will bring the polish that is still a bit lacking; if so, who knows? I tried and left Android because of the reason above. Should it get that polish, I might give it another shot.

Android could sink, but I don't think it will, it still needs more time to grow. It's a nice OS. The beautiful thing is that we have the opportunity to try something new and make the decision for ourselves. Your comment about nurture and preference is spot-on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.