Because "Pro" means you can't repair it ;)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoskO, Nov 18, 2016.

1. RoskO macrumors member

Well...at least it didn't get a 0 rating, it got a 1, which is really really bad....but not the worst ever?

Macbook Pro 15" 2016 with touchbar teardown
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

Macbook Pro 13" 2016 with touchbar teardown.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

The video on the 13 was pretty hilarious. I can't believe.....wait nevermind I can. I can believe they took it even another step in lack of repairability.

I feel bad for anyone that could have issues without AppleCare after year 1. I think for the price they charge they should at least give a 2yr warranty....crazy.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

These days plenty of computers are tough for the end user to repair. You can't really repair a Surface Pro either. With many manufactures repair means a replacement unit.

3. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

They soldered the SSD to the machine. If I hadn't already decided against it that would have alone been a deal killer. I really at this point believe I am using the last Mac and iOS machines I will ever own right now.

Tim that nagging female voice telling you to pull up.... listen to it!

4. dyn macrumors 68030

That's why a real pro has a contingency plan (aka a backup machine) ;)

This also applies to some other very important components such as mobile phones and tablets. Smartphones are even more important than computers nowadays.

5. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

There are still some like the "bezel-less" Dell XPS 15 that has ram slots/ssd slots, etc., with Skylake quad cores. Thinkpads/Elitebooks are all 100% repairable, down to the screens etc, those are more "pro" in my book, but I get what you are saying.

The high end consumer show models like MBP and Surface Book are less and less repairable every year.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    So spend over $3000 on a machine that you need another machine to backup....that's genius right there. Glad I don't hate money as much as some people.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

That's because hardware is getting less important. The magic is in the software so that is now the main focus.

Being able to repair a notebook is nice but most people are not capable of repairing it. It requires you to have a decent amount of knowledge of computers in general which most do not have. They end up going to a store so for them it really doesn't matter if something is soldered on or not. Lots of support contracts have specifics for these kind of situations and lots of businesses have additional notebooks that you can use as a loaner. With everything being on network drives and server based computing not much is stored locally so being able to swap drives has almost no benefit (which is useless if it is a drive failure btw).

7. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Stockholm syndrome if I ever saw it.

Why are you defending the removal to replace the storage now in addition to the system memory? This laptop really is just a mobile iPadBook now.

I'm done with Apple. Ridiculous.

Anyone on the fence about waiting for the next iMac or get the one now, I say buy it while you still can. The update for it will continue in this ridiculous path.

8. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about other people, just voicing my general frustration I suppose with the direction they are headed. I'm someone that can upgrade/repair etc...it's nice option to have. I'll take 7mm more thickness for that nice to have.

I'd also argue that, if hardware isn't important, then what is that crazy touch bar, and why does it (the hardware) cost so much if it's not important? It's all about the hardware to software integration and ecosystem for apple and apple ecosystem lovers. I'm not one of them, but I used to be, I used to like the MBP as a dual purpose win/mac machine too.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The machine is overpriced, not user-serviceable at all (read: built-in obsolescence), lacks ports, has GPU glitching issues, and now we're hearing about three-finger drag issues.

NOT a pro machine. This machine will go down in infamy, much like the Cube.

10. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I know a guy who does this. Has a second computer that does nothing but sit around being identical so he can swap to it.

But the thing is, the usual plan would be "move the drive into the other machine if the drive still works". And now we can't. Pretty disappointed.

11. jerryk macrumors 68020

Time Machine? I store my TM backups on my NAS and can get from newly initialized system back to where I was in a couple of hours.

12. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

God I hope you're joking. Otherwise you must be Tim Cook's twin brother

13. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Gosh, "a couple of hours" sounds way faster than the five minutes it takes to swap drives between two laptops.

14. noteple, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

When labor, parts, and logistics cost exceeds manufacturing cost its replace not repair.

When was the last time you repaired an Incandescent light bulb because its tungsten filament detached.
    How about an older laptop when the replacement batteries cost more than the machine is worth used.

Next time lets say a button or speaker fails on your iPhone should Apple:
    Logistic it back to a clean room.
    Have a tech diagnose and replace just the broken part.
    Final inspect and get it back to you along with a bill for transportation
    1 hr labor charge, cleanroom & supplies, and the $2.70 single unit quantity part.
    All together a week and a half worth of transport plus repair time.

Or just hand you another phone and who cares what they do with the defective one.

The same thing holds true for the MacBook pro.
    Case, guts, software, Replace & Recycle

15. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

That's evident because Jony Ivy is driving the development and direction of Apple products. We all know that his claim to fame is being a software guru and putting function ahead of esthetics. Bwahaaaaa.

Didn't you see the promo video for the book showing the secret development lab. I didn't see any software engineers there.

16. RoskO thread starter macrumors member

I think you have this backwards. If Apple designed your house, they'd permanently fix LED bulbs into the house claiming that you get "at least 10yrs", and by then...hey who doesn't just want a whole new house anyway. Way cheaper to buy a new house than put in new light bulbs ;).

17. cmanbrazil macrumors regular

Well, apple builds computers to last a long time, but fix their components hoping that you will need more of something and upgrade, passing your computer on to someone with "lesser" needs. Most of the older upgradeable Macs can still be used today for the vast majority of software.

18. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Apple don't want you to repair your computer.

Apple wants you to throw it away and buy another one.

19. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I care what they do with the defective one. In the past whenever I had too take my laptop to the Apple Store I always swapped the drive with a clean install one.

I don't trust them (or anyone) with my data.

20. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

A laptop and iPhone should not be considered the same thing. What you describe what is wrong with Apple.

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

When I saw the title of this thread, I instantly assumed you'd be inside with more complaints. Out of curiosity, do you have anything positive to say about the new MacBook Pro? Please name something you like about it. I'm not being sarcastic...I'm genuinely interested in knowing what features in the new laptop perk you up.

22. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

About the only thing I like is that it runs macOS.

I hate the ports. I hate the soldered everything. I hate the loss of the SD Card slot. People still transfer files from cameras. I hate the fact that I have to order everything up front and be over charged for everything.

There comes a point when the machine isn't worth it. I ordered a top of the line 2015 iMac minus the RAM. I spent over $4000. That isn't enough? Oh no make sure I have to spend pretty much another thousand dollars just to get RAM that is worth a couple hundred at best. (we all know the next iMac is most likely soldered everything too) This practice is going to make me look else where.

It's looking like I'll go back to using the game machine as the primary machine too and put the money spent on Mac hardware for an array of better monitors for it in the future. Then drop the MacBook and move to the Razer Blade Pro. It may not have the best upgradeability either but it at least includes a 1080M, lots of RAM and a ton of storage and the ports I need. It's more then I get from the MacBook ... stupid gimmicky touch bar and last years tech for todays prices.

23. Ataricade Suspended

New machines are amazing. Touchbar is fantastic. Super interactive and customizable. Sound system is crazy loud with great quality. Screen will blind you dialed up in a dim room. Keyboard is improved over my 2013.

The whole human interface has been greatly improved. Sights sounds and touch.

24. Sam Luis Obispo macrumors member

After reading/hearing about apps like Spotify and some web browsers performing heavy writes to the disk and potentially reducing the life of ssd drives, it gives me pause about buying a computer with soldered ssd. My understanding was that the Apple ssd in the new MacBook Pro was faster than the typical SATA drives used by many competitors. Does the Apple ssd last longer as well?

25. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Current SSD's under typical usage should be good for 20 years. That's not something to worry about.