Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Looking forward to reading this one. Could not finish the Isaacson's one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're not a "good guy" if you publisize a story like that YOURSELF to show the world what a "good guy" you are.

Self promotion at its worst.
And that happened where/when exactly?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Just pre-ordered my copy. Ironically it's cheaper on Kindle than iBooks.

I still don't believe they'll build a TV set when a plug-in box makes so much more sense. It's cheaper which means more frequent upgrades and probaby more profitable. Just wish they would get on with it. Done right the AppleTV could be the only box I need attached to my TV.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
Well, I can only hope noone is buying this liver nonsense .
Lie , rather .

Or that Jobs was a visionary or such .
He was a sales manager all his life, who got lucky a couple of times promoting iThings other people created - iMac and iPod .

Everything else was about milking every last drop out of the brand, via iTunes, Appstore, iPhone contracts, iCloud etc ...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That story comes from Cook himself.
So providing information about something that happened when being interviewed/asked about it is self promotion? I guess we all do that pretty much most of the time of every day when we talk about pretty much anything.

----------

Well, I can only hope noone is buying this liver nonsense .
Lie , rather .

Or that Jobs was a visionary or such .
He was a sales manager all his life, who got lucky a couple of times promoting iThings other people created - iMac and iPod .

Everything else was about milking every last drop out of the brand, via iTunes, Appstore, iPhone contracts, iCloud etc ...
So you've interviewed different people involved and have been closer to it all in all aspects that many of the people who actually did that?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Looking forward to reading this one. Could not finish the Isaacson's one.

I finished it, but it was definitely a struggle. This one seems to be much more faithful to the Steve that his closest friends and family knew.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Two things came to mind when I read this, 1. it seems like a deliberate leak to advertise the book, disguised as an accident that someone 'found', especially as it has now been removed. And 2. the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry donates a kidney to Lewis.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
So providing information about something that happened when being interviewed/asked about it is self promotion?

He wasn't "asked" about it, nobody knew about it and the guy who could confirm it is dead.
He didn't have to tell this story, nothing happened. He did a few tests and the procedure wouldn't have helped Jobs.

He told this story for the sole purpose of painting himself as a "great guy" and I find that to be really disgusting.

Doesn't matter who does it. It's a gross thing to do.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He wasn't "asked" about it, nobody knew about it.
He didn't have to tell this story, nothing happened. He did a few tests and it wouldn't have helped Jobs.

He told this story for the sole purpose of painting himself as a "great guy" and I find that to be really disgusting.

Wait, you know he wasn't asked about it? Or that no one knew anything related to it? Or the context of how this information was brought up to begin with (and followed up on with him)? There must be some very very good inside sources in play in that case. What else can you share?

rajat8676

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
He is the greatest innovator of our times. We are fortunate to be enjoying his creations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The story leaked as mentioned in the article, everybody can read it, Cook is quoted.
I don't see anything about that story leaking or how it came about in this MacRumor's article. Or even in the linked Cult Of Mac article.

So, again, it's somehow known how the story came to light to begin with, and how the information came about different details, and how and what Tim was asked about in relation to it?

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I've always respected Tim Cook, when sadly many were calling for him to be fired exactly one year ago. Look at how monetarily successful he has made Apple over the last year.

An "offer" you know the other person can't accept is not really an offer. Things would be very different if he'd actually gone though with it.

As for share price (as if that's anything important unless you're a shareholder) it's mostly based on speculation about the Apple Watch. If that tanks you can be sure the share price will soon follow.

Sorry to sound negative, just trying to offer an alternative viewpoint without the rose-coloured glasses about an anecdote in an unreleased book as the basis for making Cook a saint. I just don't see it personally.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
He wasn't "asked" about it, nobody knew about it and the guy who could confirm it is dead.
He didn't have to tell this story, nothing happened. He did a few tests and the procedure wouldn't have helped Jobs.

Or instead of making your own conclusions you can just take what it says at face value, Tim spoke of it as an example of Steve being selfless.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
I don't see anything about that story leaking or how it came about in this MacRumor's article.

Ok again: The part of the book where that story is being told was "leaked" by Amazon. Tim Cook brings the story up, he is quoted. That part of the book was already readable online.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
In my opinion just because he said Apple will never make another TV doesn't mean he didn't change his mind, especially if he felt that he had "cracked" it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.