Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The "Inside This Book" feature is still active on Amazon UK. Some very interesting details and one I'm certainly going to preorder:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1444761986/

I did like the official biography, but this one seems to have a better spin on it, about how Jobs developed not just the tabloid story around him.

Not anymore it isn't.

----------

Yes it does.

I do good without telling everybody in great detail so they can admire me.

Trust me, that is not a problem you need to worry about.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I already said it's in the book.

Book Excerpt:
One afternoon, Cook left the house feeling so upset that he had his own blood tested. He found out that he, like Steve, had a rare blood type, and guessed that it might be the same. He started doing research, and learned that it is possible to transfer a portion of a living person’s liver to someone in need of a transplant. About 6,000 living-donor transplants are performed every year in the United States, and the rate of success for both donor and recipient is high. The liver is a regenerative organ. The portion transplanted into the recipient will grow to a functional size, and the portion of the liver that the donor gives up will also grow back.

What a hero, he researched all on his own, OMG he's so great. If that's not self promotion I don't know what is.
So that answered any of the questions that were posed, like how the story surfaced first, how and what Tim was asked about it, the context of his quote, or anything like that?

I guess it did, by the very fact that it didn't. Certainly speaks a lot--or pretty much everything--about what you have been saying: there's nothing to back up any of it beyond random baseless suspicions of random people. Thus it can all be treated accordingly.

----------

It says it MULTIPLE times in the book.

said Cook / Cook continues / ...

I'm not gonna post the whole page, read it yourself.
The mere fact that to someone a person being quoted saying something somehow implies that person leaked it and orchestrated it all speaks tons about the rationality of anything else that someone might say.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
For the naysayers - do you REALLY think Jobs's family doesn't know if it's true or not? Do you REALLY think Jobs's handpicked successor would tell such a transparent lie on the record knowing they could denounce him?

I'm not sure what's worse - the conspiracy theorizing or the hatred behind it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So then he introduces a product called TV? And what's with this 'again' bit?

I don't think he was referring to set top boxes, but an actual TV set.

But didn't Apple make a Mac that doubled as a tv set?

Edit
- here it is---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_TV

I think Jobs' point was that Apple will never make another TV. Maybe, it will be like car play for the TV.

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes it does.

I do good without telling everybody in great detail so they can admire me....for actually doing nothing.

I'm pretty sure people admiring you for what you've said is not something you'll ever need to worry about here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For the naysayers - do you REALLY think Jobs's family doesn't know if it's true or not? Do you REALLY think Jobs's handpicked successor would tell such a transparent lie on the record knowing they could denounce him?

I'm not sure what's worse - the conspiracy theorizing or the hatred behind it.
Seems like all those things are based on/in reality--why let that get in the way?

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
So I guess they didn't actually "crack" TV? Since they haven't come out with anything nor have seemed to convince any content providers to sign on with them.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yes it does.

I do good without telling everybody in great detail so they can admire me....for actually doing nothing.

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Why are you so vehemently trying to trash Tim Cook?

Then again, I shouldn't act surprised. Typical MacRumors...

Well, I can only hope noone is buying this liver nonsense .
Lie , rather .

Or that Jobs was a visionary or such .
He was a sales manager all his life, who got lucky a couple of times promoting iThings other people created - iMac and iPod .

Everything else was about milking every last drop out of the brand, via iTunes, Appstore, iPhone contracts, iCloud etc ...

Hah. Thanks for the laugh :rolleyes:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
So I guess they didn't actually "crack" TV? Since they haven't come out with anything nor have seemed to convince any content providers to sign on with them.

Because it's just sooo easy to upend an industry and change the status quo?

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I'll be referring anyone that questions Cook's character from here on out to this excerpt.

Has anyone ever questioned Cook's character? I'd think that's the last thing people would question about him.

I would love to see Jobs still alive, but have Cook be CEO. Jobs had a vision like nobody else and he'd apply that fire to Apple, but Cook is a "better" CEO than Jobs ever was. He's doing lots of great things Jobs never would have. Would have been cool to see what they could've accomplished together, with Cook leading the way and Jobs doing what Jobs did.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
He wasn't "asked" about it, nobody knew about it and the guy who could confirm it is dead.
He didn't have to tell this story, nothing happened. He did a few tests and the procedure wouldn't have helped Jobs.

He told this story for the sole purpose of painting himself as a "great guy" and I find that to be really disgusting.

Doesn't matter who does it. It's a gross thing to do.

So you're only a great guy if you pretend the great things you do never happened? Great logic there. Glad you're not a parent of mine.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
it's funny, i pretty much never think about steve jobs until the internet is abuzz about him. and i lived through his legacy, and i admire him. strange how certain people and concepts stick with people.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Who knows what's in the labs? Just because we haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it's not still cooking in the lab.

comeintomylab.gif

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
How about why do you care so much about this bro? Do you never talk about good things you've done?

I am not religious and I didn't grow up religious but this is how I think it should be done....

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
An "offer" you know the other person can't accept is not really an offer. Things would be very different if he'd actually gone though with it.

As for share price (as if that's anything important unless you're a shareholder) it's mostly based on speculation about the Apple Watch. If that tanks you can be sure the share price will soon follow.

Sorry to sound negative, just trying to offer an alternative viewpoint without the rose-coloured glasses about an anecdote in an unreleased book as the basis for making Cook a saint. I just don't see it personally.

So he went through the necessary testing and matching to make an offer he knew would be refused. Cynical much?

As to the others who claim this is self promotion, you must be intensely angry about something in your life to have this kind of acerbic outlook.

----------

Has anyone ever questioned Cook's character? I'd think that's the last thing people would question about him.

I would love to see Jobs still alive, but have Cook be CEO. Jobs had a vision like nobody else and he'd apply that fire to Apple, but Cook is a "better" CEO than Jobs ever was. He's doing lots of great things Jobs never would have. Would have been cool to see what they could've accomplished together, with Cook leading the way and Jobs doing what Jobs did.

I think Cook is a more objective CEO who doesn't let his own bias get in the way. He is also not shy about reversing a position or admitting an error.

As for folks questioning Cooks character, maybe some homophobes may have questioned it but you have to take that with a grain of salt.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I beleive both books. Job's was always changing his mind. I remember when he said people didn't read anymore, so there was no use in Apple selling books; Then iBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.