Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I am not religious and I didn't grow up religious but this is how I think it should be done....

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others.

The man you quote also said this…

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.​

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
You're not a "good guy" if you publisize a story like that YOURSELF to show the world what a "good guy" you are.

Self promotion at its worst.

He didn't "publicize" it, he just mentioned it in an interview *as an example of Steve Jobs' unselfish nature.*

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
HahaHaha! Poor Samsung! Wild goose chase! Haha!!! Billions of dollars wild goose chasing the "OMG, we gotta beat Apple and be first " TV thing! Hey , but seriously, I heard they're coming out with smart underwear!?? Haha

I don't understand your comment at all. First - why bring up Samsung? Second - Samsung racing to do what? Samsung has been making TVs for years and years. What billions of dollars and wild goose chase are you speaking of?

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
The man you quote also said this…

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.​

That's great, because I don't do what I judged.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Keep in mind that the quote about Steve "cracking" the TV came shortly before his death. So he could've not been interested in TV, but changed his mind shortly before he died.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I've always respected Tim Cook, when sadly many were calling for him to be fired exactly one year ago. Look at how monetarily successful he has made Apple over the last year.

He seems like a stand-up guy, and I applaud that, but he's a bean counter and has destroyed the spirit of Apple. Innovation and quality products are a thing of the past. Nickel and diming customers for stock-holders is the new Apple "Inc."

Before stones are thrown, tell me what they have done in the last 5 years of note? Something that wasn't going to happen in the industry anyway (64bit, payment, etc.)

They are only leading in profit, not awe-inspiring devices or technology. Same goes for Android and Google. So it's not a brand thing. Apple should lead the charge but they seem to be following or keeping the status quo.

Monetary success utopia makes not. Billions in the bank collecting digital dust. They could have put a man on Mars with that money, in 5 years. He probably wouldn't have made it back when his iphone 6 plus gave him wrong directions or iOS 8 crashed but at least Apple would have inspired me. Money is useless if it's used less, or not at all.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You're not a "good guy" if you publisize a story like that YOURSELF to show the world what a "good guy" you are.

Self promotion at its worst.

Well, I can only hope noone is buying this liver nonsense .
Lie , rather .

Or that Jobs was a visionary or such .
He was a sales manager all his life, who got lucky a couple of times promoting iThings other people created - iMac and iPod .

Everything else was about milking every last drop out of the brand, via iTunes, Appstore, iPhone contracts, iCloud etc ...

Cynical people are everywhere, and usually they are not happy in their life. Too bad there is nothing we can do to help them. Their way of thinking is always negative, though such people could be a perfect critique. Unfortunately they rarely offer positive encouragement.

----------

He seems like a stand-up guy, and I applaud that, but he's a bean counter and has destroyed the spirit of Apple. Innovation and quality products are a thing of the past. Nickel and diming customers for stock-holders is the new Apple "Inc."

Before stones are thrown, tell me what they have done in the last 5 years of note? Something that wasn't going to happen in the industry anyway (64bit, payment, etc.)

I am not sure if you have been living under the well, but there have been plenty of innovations from Apple. Just recently, I could count 10 new innovations alone on the new Macbook: keyboard, touchpad, unibody, so many improvements, but as usual, people just discredit them when credits are due.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

They are only leading in profit, not awe-inspiring devices or technology. Same goes for Android and Google. So it's not a brand thing. Apple should lead the charge but they seem to be following or keeping the status quo.

Monetary success utopia makes not. Billions in the bank collecting digital dust. They could have put a man on Mars with that money, in 5 years. He probably wouldn't have made it back when his iphone 6 plus gave him wrong directions or iOS 8 crashed but at least Apple would have inspired me. Money is useless if it's used less, or not at all.
Interstellar human spaceflight and teleportation are more than likely going to happen anyway at some point in the future, so I guess we can say none of that will be innovative when it actually comes around since it was bound to happen.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
That's great, because I don't do what I judged.

As I see it, you've judged a man's heart without knowing him and without knowing much about the events in question. I just find it ironic that you quote Jesus to justify your own comments, when Jesus spoke so much about showing mercy and not judging others.

The quote is all about a person's motivation for giving—whether it's done with a generous heart, or purely to impress others. The truth is, we do not know what Tim Cook's original motivation was. So, without convincing evidence on the contrary, and considering that there are very likely a number of people (Jobs' widow for one) who could debunk the story if it were simply made up, I'm inclined to take it at face value—that Tim was deeply upset by the knowledge of Steve's life-threatening illness, and made this offer after researching the procedure. I've just done a bit of reading online, and it seems that the risk of donor death in living liver donors is extremely small, so the gesture isn't of the 'laying down one's life' nature as some have implied. Still, it's a sacrificial offer, and one which Steve could have chosen to accept—not an offer to be made lightly!

Should Tim have taken the whole story to his grave? I think that's a personal decision for him. But it seems this book is all about getting a closer, more intimate look at Steve Jobs, and in that context, surely this story serves a useful purpose.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Ah, a "battery of tests" (lol) at a far, far away hospital. Convenient. Explains why no hospital in the area has a record of such a thing...

why was TIM COOK worried about being recognised in 2009?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm trying to figure out what Tim was going to do without a liver after he gave his to Steve...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ah, a "battery of tests" (lol) at a far, far away hospital. Convenient. Explains why no hospital in the area has a record of such a thing...

why was TIM COOK worried about being recognised in 2009?
Didn't he serve as interim CEO at least on a few occasions, including in 2009? With news of Steve Job's health and leave(s) of absence and how well tech-related gossip gets covered and spreads in Silicon Valley, it doesn't seem all that unreasonable to do something along the lines of what was described. As for "battery of tests", I guess you'd have to look into it to figure out and understand what would be involved in donor/organ matching.

----------

I'm trying to figure out what Tim was going to do without a liver after he gave his to Steve...
Probably what has already been discussed by quite a few posts related to that earlier in the thread.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

The arguments you use to dismiss all of Apple's recent innovations could be (and have been) used to dismiss all the innovations that occurred under Steve Jobs.

MP3 players were already happening before the iPod. Other than some UI enhancements, Apple brought nothing really new to the party.

I owned all-in-one computers before the iMac. The iMac was just an echo of the original Macintosh, which itself was an echo of the Commodore PET and other computers. Nothing new there, just some ease-of-use enhancements.

Smart Phones came before the iPhone, and some of those had features that made the original iPhone seem not very smart at all. Again, Apple added an ease-of-use element (so long as you held it right, a huge Jobs failure). But Apple Pay's ease of use advantage is something that you don't consider to be real innovation, so you can't argue that it makes the iPhone innovative.

Next is iPad. Just a big iPhone (without the phone). Obviously no innovation there.

AppleTV. Enough said.

So we are left with an Apple that has NEVER really innovated. Where is the spirit that you miss so much since Tim Cook took over? Many claimed at the time that it was just Steve Jobs' megalomania that convinced everyone that Apple was thinking different. You were inspired by his strong personality, not by any actual accomplishment.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA

You do have some valid points, I don't disagree with you. Yet as one with lots of experience in a large scale international business it isn't quite as simple as your summary.

When a corporation is headed by a charismatic high profile polarizing figure like Steve Jobs, then suddenly he's gone it takes a guy exactly like Tim Cook. Forget his former position, it's a mistake to label him and write him off as you have. Contrary to your assessment, based on conversations with Apple employees I've know personally for years, he has had a very positive calming impact that helped ease the concerns once Steve officially left.

Had Apple either put someone else in from within the company or even an outsider for that matter, the results most definitely wouldn't have been as strong as they were under Tim.

Oh sure, you're not pleased but as a very substantial Shareholder of over twenty years, I'm very pleased. Don't get discouraged, it's a new day, a new Era at Apple, you too may be pleasantly surprised as Apple goes forward.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Deeply cynical, to put a finer point on it. The cynical often project their cynicism on others. Perhaps it's a way of rationalizing their own lack of faith in their fellow human beings.

The idealist often project their idealism on others,
The realist often project their realism on others,
The pragmatist often project their pragmatism on others,
I'm just saying.......

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You do have some valid points, I don't disagree with you. Yet as one with lots of experience in a large scale international business it isn't quite as simple as your summary.

When a corporation is headed by a charismatic high profile polarizing figure like Steve Jobs, then suddenly he's gone it takes a guy exactly like Tim Cook. Forget his former position, it's a mistake to label him and write him off as you have. Contrary to your assessment, based on conversations with Apple employees I've know personally for years, he has had a very positive calming impact that helped ease the concerns once Steve officially left.

Had Apple either put someone else in from within the company or even an outsider for that matter, the results most definitely wouldn't have been as strong as they were under Tim.

Oh sure, you're not pleased but as a very substantial Shareholder of over twenty years, I'm very pleased. Don't get discouraged, it's a new day, a new Era at Apple, you too may be pleasantly surprised as Apple goes forward.

I think the day Tim Cook and Jon Ive leave, will be major. They are the real brains behind Apple.

----------

Tim Cook is not the ******* that Steve Jobs was. Sure Steve saved Apple but when you enter an elevator with Jobs and didn't know if you still had a Job when you got out of the elevator, that's just cruel. He could only get away with that kind of attitude as CEO. Forstall tried the same thing, "be a total *******" but the rest of Apple would not stand for it and fired his ass. Forstall totally deserved it.

Yes Tim Cool is the bean counter and supply management maestro that Apple needed. But he's also a nice person overall and people don't feel scared whenever he is around.

Last edited by a moderator:

leolatarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Some of the responses I've read are a combination of stupid and disgusting. Quite honestly, who cares what Tim Cooks motivation for offering a part of his liver to Steve Jobs was. How does it affect anyone else's life?

We're all getting to use products and services that both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook helped to create, even if all they did was approve of them. Some of us like myself also have the privilege of being able to add to those same products with our own apps that others get to enjoy. That's what matters here. Being able to keep the process of creation going, to do things that will have an impact on someone else's life whether small or big, loud or quiet.

If I could curse openly without breaking any rules on this forum, I would be right now. That's how stupid some of the responses that I've read has been. For Steve Jobs, let the man rest in peace and remember him for however you would like. For Tim Cook, let the man be and feel about him whatever you'd like. Just don't expect the world to agree with you.

This is MacRumors. Let's talk about just that...rumors.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I am not religious and I didn't grow up religious but this is how I think it should be done....

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others.

Hmmm. Does it say anything in there about not being a jerk?

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010

Appropriate to the discussion of Mr. Cook

Appropriate to a discussion of @Kalsta

----------

Hmmm. Does it say anything in there about not being a jerk?

I recall at least Ten Commandments that relate to that very thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.