Beginning to think there is a problem with iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I hate to say it, but I am starting to doubt an iPhone announcement in September. I think there is much more to this delay then we think. And I think the delay is going to continue right through September with not so much as even an event date. I have no facts or sources, but my gut is telling me something is wrong. Maybe it's because it's the first day back to work after a holiday, or the fact the weather on the East Coast is miserable, or maybe a little of both. But my excitement is starting to turn toward frustration and doubt. The rumors, which I usually enjoy reading (no matter how rediculous) are becoming boring and frustrating. Something just isn't right. I'm starting to think there are problems...Problems that (in a worse case scenario) could make it a very Android Christmas.

I know it would KILL Apple to not relase an iPhone this year. But what do you think the possibilites are that this "doomsday scenario" could really happen? And does anyone agree that these delays could be far worse then what we imagined? I'm beginning to think Apple may be just as frustrated as we are.

One bright spot is that I think if iPhone 5 was plagued with major problems that was going to delay the release through the years end, we would have already seen, or at least heard about, a refreshed iPhone 4...Which they would almost certainly do if there was no chance for an iPhone 5 in 2011.

What do you all think?

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If Apple did that, they'd be insanely screwed. I don't think Apple is ready to screw themselves

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

We were never given a firm release date by ANYONE, so it could come out at any time and be announced at any time. Until Apple announces it, a release date is still up n the air.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

What "delay"? Apple never said when the iPhone 5 would be launched. Seriously, people need to get a grip and learn how to distinguish between rumors and official statements.

5. KOZOK macrumors member

Apple is bankrupt, they don't want you to find out they spent all their money on pumpkin futures last october and failed to sell before halloween.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree that this is taking too long.
    If they release 1 new phone every 1.5 years and Android puts out like 5-6 new phones every month then that is not good for Apple IMO.

7. auxsend macrumors regular

There are a lot of people who were amped for a summer iPhone 5 release. Notably a lot of 3gs owners. (Myself included.) It is now September, and still not even a sniff of a new phone.

Say what you will about the droid, but you can guarantee there are at least one or two exciting new phones coming out on a pretty regular basis, and they just keep getting better.

I'm not one to say one is better than the other. Just from a pure business standpoint, manufacturers making phones for the droid platform stand to gain more and more customers with these whisper quiet delayed mystery releases Apple can be so notorious for.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Except Android is a phone operating system, not a single competitor.

9. SooneratND macrumors regular

I think you are wrong. More likely scenario is that Apple saw an opportunity to extend product life with all the new Verizon subscribes and decided to wait and sell a bunch of iPhone 4 phones to those folks before releasing a new version a little later for everyone.

10. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I'm pretty sure this is all due to iOS 5 GM not yet being released

11. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

This could also just be their strategy to gain attention on the company, kind of like the cartmanland episode of south park, although probably unlikely. It's really pissing me off as well. Every day I check Mac rumors to see if something has been released yet, but each day more disappointment. Those android phones are sounding real nice about now

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

Except that even after being in the market for so long, the iPhone 4 is still the best selling smartphone on the market.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

True because Apple needs the new iOS ready by the time the next iPhone ships.

14. auxsend macrumors regular

That's part of the price they pay. They prefer to be a closed ecosystem, and that is advantageous for a number of reasons, but...

The competing platform (Android) stands to win a lot of users (and market customers) when tech hungry consumers are forced to wait in the dark after they signed a 2 year contract and there is no linear upgrade available besides an already over 1 year old device.

They are competing against the platform, the number of manufacturers is less important here.

15. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I totally agree..except for the "android phones are sounding real nice about now".. :p:cool:

16. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Apple's really failed here, in my opinion. I'll most likely be switching back to Android.

The iPhone 4 never deserved this long of a product life. As soon as it was released, the Evo 4G was already there to take it on.

That, and the fact that iOS 5 is simply "catchup" isn't helping them at all. The iPhone 5 will be a small, 4G-less phone, with an operating system that's lagging behind.

17. Leewalker19 macrumors regular

I think it's a combination of things. In order to release iPhone 5/4S this summer iOS 5 wouldve had to be ready I'm which it clearly wasn't. Icloud also wasn't ready and also like it was said before Verizon just received the iPhone 4 in February which clearly many customers would have been upset if a new one came out 4 months later because not everyone know about iPhone release cycles or read forums such as this.

So as of now I think it will be announced in the coming weeks now that iOS 5 and ICloud are just about ready. All we need to do is hold out a little longer. I know it's frustrating because it is to me also but we all know Apple isn't a dumb company and ww know a iPhone of some sort will be released sometime this yr. Keep in mind it hasn't even been a new iPod release event either so everything is off right now.

To be honest I think they will have one event and release iPods as well as the iPhone.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Just wondering, how did the Evo 4G do in terms of sales?

19. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Apple is taking so long but it might be well worth the wait :apple:
    Hopefully it is real soon... hopefully :rolleyes:

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but still a competitor one way or another.
    There's tons of choices out there and once you go past a full year with the same device it becomes kinda stale I think.

True, but they would be doing way better if they had a newer/better device out is all Im saying.
    The is taking too long I think.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Even more, that same article claims the 3GS is the second best selling smart phone on the market. For those that don't remember the 3GS came out in 2009 which is a lifetime ago in tech years. Other than the fact that I want it immediately, I really don't see a reason for Apple to release a new phone right now.

22. mikejfrd macrumors regular

The delay from Apple's "norm" :rolleyes:

I think it's obvious that apple hasn't set a release date for the upcoming iPhone, but it's also painfully obvious why people feel that the new iPhone's release has been "delayed" compared to the past releases.

People do need to get a grip and learn how to not be so annoying and repeat over and over how "Apple never said when the iPhone 5 would be launched" when you know exactly what people are trying to say. I too think it's ridiculous that it's been over a year and Apple has yet to announce the next iPhone... I also wonder what the "delay" could be?? Unofficially of course. :eek:

23. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Probably not that great. lol

I'm not debating which one was actually better, but it's hard to deny that tons of the Evo's aspects attracted people in ways the iPhone couldn't. The 4G, the big screen, HTC's great "skin" for Android. Many people would argue it was better.

Since then, tons of even greater Android phones have been released. What I'm saying is, the iPhone has some pretty tough competition. I think the iPhone 4 has overstayed it's welcome

24. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and people also need to get a grip and learn how to not be so annoying and repeat over and over how "they want to know when the iPhone 5 will be launched" when you know exactly that nobody knows until Apple says so.

25. mikejfrd macrumors regular

Well yeah I agree, but then again this is an apple related rumors site so I mean its not that unreasonable for someone to post such a question. Why even read any of the rumors on here for that matter? Why not just wait for the official news to hit CNN?