Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Apple expanded its Made for Apple Watch program to include Apple Watch stands with integrated chargers. Popular accessory maker Belkin has now worked with Apple to develop the an Apple Watch stand with an integrated magnetic charger, which also includes a built-in Lightning connector for charging an iPhone.

The new Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone is the very first third-party product to incorporate a Lightning connector and a charging puck for the Apple Watch, letting both an iPhone and an Apple Watch charge through the dock without the need for user-supplied cables.

belkinapplewatchchargerwithiphone-800x600.jpg

Ahead of the launch of the Charge Dock, I went hands-on with it to see how it measures up to other Apple Watch and iPhone charging solutions on the market and whether it's worth its $130 price tag.

Design

Belkin's Charge Dock consists of an aluminum platform with a built-in Lightning connector for the iPhone and a chrome arm that houses an Apple Watch charging puck. It's a simple, unobtrusive design that fits well into any decor, but it does only come in silver, so it's not going to perfectly match all iPhones and Apple Watches.

belkinchargerdesign-800x489.jpg

The mix of a matte aluminum base and a shiny chrome arm may not be appealing to everyone, especially with the black accents on the base where the iPhone rests and the black detailing on the back of the Apple Watch stand.

Size wise, the Charge Dock is compact so it's not going to take up too much room on a nightstand or desk. It measures in at five inches long, three inches wide, and it's less than an inch thick. In length, it's a bit smaller than the iPhone 6s and about an inch smaller than the iPhone 6s Plus.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Belkin Debuts 'Charge Dock' With First Integrated Chargers for Apple Watch and iPhone

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It's a nice looking stand. I want to charge my iPad too and of course, nightstand mode as said already. It looks good, but its missing what I need. I made my own from wood.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Wow, That's ugly. Why doesn't Jony boy design his own?
I was just about to say that looks like something Apple would design for their stores to display both the phones and watches together (which I don't think they do). It looks pretty cool, but not $130 cool.
...and what about nightstand mode??
Yeah, at $130 it should work with all of the Watch's features. And being on a nightstand, "nightstand mode" is a major one.

Reactions: jagooch

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Please advise when it is possible to charge my iPhone without plugging it into a charging stand. For now, I'll settle with plugging in a cable that does not allow an inadvertent bump that might damage either the charger or the iPhone.

And with my phone, I don't need a watch on my wrist.

Reactions: NMBob

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Yet they somehow made 1 fatal flaw....it does not look like it works with nightstand mode.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like they designed this in a vacuum not knowing about nightstand mode. If the had been aware, the watch would have been front and center, no post but a slot to cradle the watch, would have worked with a Milanese loop or other closed band, and the lightening post would have been designed to accommodate a phone or iPad.

Lousy design, no corrective action or too long supply lines, Belkin certainly closed the door to customers and opened it to competitors!

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Nightstand mode is pointless if you have to tap the screen to see the time though. It doesn't even have the functionality of a 30 year old digital clock. I can see why it wasn't considered in the design because it's an utterly stupid feature.
You have to touch it to keep the display lit up? I thought the point was that since it was charging, it would stay on?:eek:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Nightstand mode is pointless if you have to tap the screen to see the time though. It doesn't even have the functionality of a 30 year old digital clock. I can see why it wasn't considered in the design because it's an utterly stupid feature.

But you don't need to tap the screen. Just tap whatever surface you put the watch on. I can't touch the screen from my bed but I can give my bedside unit a tap and it'll come on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.