Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ordered one today. Let's just say I did not pay 130

As far as nightstand mode r u kidding me that has to be the dumbest feature. It's not on all the time so what's the point. Use my cable box for that. Alarm is on my iPhone - has been.
The way I see it 20 for a lightning cable 30 more for another watch charging cable ...... Paid another 20 and I'm done.

As someone who sleeps in the pitch black, it is a huge feature. I have zero lights illuminating in my room (cable box, nightstand, etc).

Reactions: jagooch

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
But, will it blend?

WAIT!!!

What about Otterbox devotees? Will someone need to come up with a lightening extension just to get these charging bases to work with the Otterbox? I'm getting sick of that.
I was wondering the same thing. Do I love the way my phone looks without a case, sure. With 3 kids, and life's inevitable drops and fumbles, I need a case. All these docks forget that most people are probably using a case of some kind, even if it isn't a bulky Otterbox.

DravenInc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
I wouldn't drop $130 on this for the simple reason that you don't know how it will look with future gen iPhones...I have a 6 Plus, I will likely upgrade once the 7 gen comes out...that means this dock could potentially only be good for a year. Nope, pass.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Wow. Apple getting out of hand, thinking we will buy just about anything if it has the word "Apple" on it. Note to Apple, some of us are smarter than this, and still look at what value it adds, and I do not see an added value of $130. Ouch.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Those of us with CATS learn to charge i-devices on the floor. That is the only way they won't be knocked onto the floor in the night... :)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Since I wear my watch when I sleep I don't need a stand and don't care about nightstand mode.
That's nice, but I can't help but ask why you would post this info. This thread is about new stand. Your comment really has absolutely nothing to do with this stand. Why post it?
Some people believe that nobody in the world has a right to have a different opinion. "If I don't need it then clearly nobody else does, so the product shouldn't exist and nobody should be discussing it."

Pretty childish, really.
I was just about to say that looks like something Apple would design for their stores to display both the phones and watches together (which I don't think they do). It looks pretty cool, but not $130 cool.
Well, keep in mind that it includes a Watch charger, which is $40 sold separately. All of the other Watch stands I've seen require you to attach an Apple charger (sold separately). So you could make the argument that its price is comparable to a $90 stand from another manufacturer.

Note also that $130 is Belkin's direct-sale price. I'm sure it will be discounted when stores like Amazon start shipping it.

Wow. Apple getting out of hand, thinking we will buy just about anything if it has the word "Apple" on it. Note to Apple, some of us are smarter than this, and still look at what value it adds, and I do not see an added value of $130. Ouch.
Are you aware of the fact that Apple didn't design, manufacture or sell this product?

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
A nightstand clock should tell time, all the time. It should dim at night and be brighter in the day. One should not have to touch anything to find out what time it is.

That's the way my system works. The user sets the dim level, which kicks in at night and turns off in the morning.

If the watch screen is subject to burn in, that makes it unsuitable for any continual clock display.
What is your system? I current use a projection alarm clock but only has a static brightness setting. One that adapts to the ambient light level would be great!

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0177WFNMI/ref=pe_386430_195151180_TE_dp_1

$60CAD vs $150CAD for the Belkin. And it has 2 USB ports for charging cables for other devices like an iPad,
[doublepost=1464560270][/doublepost]
What is your system? I current use a projection alarm clock but only has a static brightness setting. One that adapts to the ambient light level would be great!

Well, My Nexus 5 did that. A setting called 'Daydream". Initiates when plugged in. Gives a choice of displaying pictures, an analog clock or a digital clock. Can be set bright or dim. The every minute the digital clock gently fades out and then back in somewhere else to avoid burn in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.