Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced the launch of the first official 15W MagSafe charger designed for in-vehicle use, debuting the Boost Charge Pro Wireless Car Charger with MagSafe.

belkin-magsafe-charger-car.jpg

There are other magnetic car charger solutions on the market, but this is the first that provides full 15W charging for compatible MagSafe-enabled iPhone models.

Priced at $100, the Boost Charge Pro Wireless Car Charger is designed to attach to the vent inside of a car. It can be used in landscape or portrait mode, and it comes with a USB-C cable and a CLA charger that can be plugged into a car lighter socket.

Belkin is selling the Boost Charge Pro Wireless Car Charger with MagSafe exclusively from the online Apple Store, and it can be preordered starting today with an official launch coming November 14.

Apple's online store has also added a number of other products today, including two new MagSafe mounts from Joby. There are two options, a standard GripTight GorillaPod mount for $70 and a MagSafe Vlogging Kit for $220, which comes with a stand, LED light, and microphone.

joby-gorillapod-magsafe.jpg

Other new accessories include updated Logitech Keyboard Cases, new AirTag holders, MacBook sleeves, and more, with a full list on Apple's Accessories page.

Article Link: Belkin Debuts Official MagSafe Car Charging Mount

• Angry
Reactions: TinyMito

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
$100? Get outta here

I do want it though, the MagSafe and vent holder I’m using is no where near as good as the 7.5 Belkin MagSafe I already have. Pricing is rich. Looks like a $40-$50 premium over using my current methods.

Ronal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Vancouver
I also want to say that without proper cooling, especially in a car, it can get quite hot (direct sunlight, closed interior) and with full 15w charging speed, this is going to generate so much heat for the phone which will end up damaging The battery; lower life span, maybe even swelling.

and kudos belkin for making the cable fully attached to the damn hing, very apple thing to do

geoffeg

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
I have their previous (slower) MagSafe car mount and when using wireless CarPlay my iPhone 12 Pro it will start to slowly discharge after about 15 minutes. The phone gets warm enough just running wireless CarPlay that it can't charge fast enough to keep up. If this new model is metal and can ask as a heat sink that might help.

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My only question is how strong are the magnets? I currently use the regular MagSafe puck as my car mount. It holds well enough, but I would feel better if it was stronger.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It’s nice until the phone starts to overheat from using GPS and charging at the same time..

I have a similar one and my 12PM overheats regularly when charging and gps, especially if it’s sunny outside.
Heck yea I even sometimes get the too hot to charge with wired charging with GPS and sun glaring in

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Anker is about $75 when priced with a power adapter, but then this is 15w while anker is 7.5w.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Heck yea I even sometimes get the too hot to charge with wired charging with GPS and sun glaring in
Yup! A few weeks ago when it was still hot as balls here in Texas I got the “charging suspended until phone cools down” or words to that effect while connected to my car stereo using Apple Maps in CarPlay. And the USB port on the back of my radio only puts out 5V x 1.5A= 7.5W.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
It’s nice until the phone starts to overheat from using GPS and charging at the same time..

I have a similar one and my 12PM overheats regularly when charging and gps, especially if it’s sunny outside.

I also want to say that without proper cooling, especially in a car, it can get quite hot (direct sunlight, closed interior) and with full 15w charging speed, this is going to generate so much heat for the phone which will end up damaging The battery; lower life span, maybe even swelling.

and kudos belkin for making the cable fully attached to the damn hing, very apple thing to do

I have their previous (slower) MagSafe car mount and when using wireless CarPlay my iPhone 12 Pro it will start to slowly discharge after about 15 minutes. The phone gets warm enough just running wireless CarPlay that it can't charge fast enough to keep up. If this new model is metal and can ask as a heat sink that might help.
Thats the beauty of a vent mount. As long as the AC is on, my iPhones don’t get dim let alone heat up. And this on both the 7.5 belkin & 15w MagSafe in a vent holder.
You can also just buy a magsafe puck and sticky tape it somewhere in your car..
It is not as nice to snap on. The belkin design feels better to snap the phone on. That is my experience.

$100 isn’t too high, if:
$40-MagSafe
$40-Vent mount and charger

I may remove the magsafe in my car and replace it with this.

DroidBro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Overpriced. Not confident magsafe could handle bumpy roads. Plus slow charging while using GPS I question how useful this is.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Overpriced. Not confident magsafe could handle bumpy roads. Plus slow charging while using GPS I question how useful this is.
That's why I don't like vent clips either. Used to have a great CD Slot one, but now none of our new cars have one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.