Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
In the car is where that inefficiency doesn’t matter since the alternator spins the same no matter what electrical load you have going on.

Edit: Where I can see it mattering is on short trips where the phone doesn’t get charged up enough so has to be topped up with grid energy, though the strain there is minimal with such small devices.
1) That’s not how alternators work. Google “Lentz's Law.” The additional drain creates a magnetic field working against the alternator, forcing it to use more fuel to maintain consistent rotation. Just because it “spins the same speed” doesn’t mean it isn’t working harder (and the entire suggestion of being able to charge something with no additional energy burn is farcical)

2) “Minimal” sounds nice and reassuring until you realize there are… wait for it… a billion iPhones in the world.

Whether you believe in climate change or not, even a “minimal” additional usage of energy is extremely huge multiplied by a billion, leading to additional fuel burn, higher energy prices, more money in the pockets of petro-states like Russia, etc.

And that’s assuming it is minimal, which it is not (using a wireless, MagSafe-style charger uses A LOT more energy).

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

dubiousgif

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2022
1) That’s not how alternators work. Google “Lentz's Law.” The additional drain creates a magnetic field working against the alternator, forcing it to use more fuel to maintain consistent rotation. Just because it “spins the same speed” doesn’t mean it isn’t working harder (and the entire suggestion of being able to charge something with no additional energy burn is farcical)

2) “Minimal” sounds nice and reassuring until you realize there are… wait for it… a billion iPhones in the world.

Whether you believe in climate change or not, even a “minimal” additional usage of energy is extremely huge multiplied by a billion, leading to additional fuel burn, higher energy prices, more money in the pockets of petro-states like Russia, etc.

And that’s assuming it is minimal, which it is not (using a wireless, MagSafe-style charger uses A LOT more energy).
Thanks for setting me straight. Edited my comment to point people to your reply.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I wonder if this is better and stronger than the official Apple MagSafe puck? Brodit make mounts where you clip in the official Apple puck, but it doesn’t have that extra key MagSafe bit in the bottom? Does that make a stronger connection and grip? I’d also question using a MagSafe puck in a car as it’s not designed for that environment, the coldness you get in a car overnight etc.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have the $30 version of this from Belkin that launched with the iPhone 12 and doesn't charge.

I have wireless CarPlay and a Lightning cable plugged into my console that sits between it and the passenger seat.

When I actually need to charge my phone too, I just plug the cable into the bottom of the phone. Most of the time my phone is doing fine, so unless it is near dead or a longer trip, I don't plug in the cable. While I would like this solution, at $100, no way. I do like that this one, and my non-charging version add the vertical magnetic element for more hold. It holds my phone really well.

BTW, they also have a 10W version in black that does the same, but the cord isn't integrated.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Interesting, so you would run out of gas from inefficiency then

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
It’s nice until the phone starts to overheat from using GPS and charging at the same time..

I have a similar one and my 12PM overheats regularly when charging and gps, especially if it’s sunny outside.
I use mine all the time in the car and have never noticed the phone overheating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.