Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I got that one, too, but had problems (or thought I did). Called AdGuard. Apparently there is a program for Safari and a different one for the Mac. What do you have, Marc, and why?

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
What's the purpose of an "ad blocker" if the website denys entry unless you turn the ad blocker off?

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
What's the purpose of an "ad blocker" if the website denys entry unless you turn the ad blocker off?

Any site that denies me access due to running an ad blocker is just left behind. I can find what I need elsewhere. As far as I am concerned, they are just shooting themselves in the foot by blocking my access, missing a possible sale they could have had.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I know it's not exactly what you asked but I use uBlock Origin on Firefox. I use that for my general web browsing and Safari for paying bills etc where I don't need ad blocking.

I haven't found anything to work on Safari since version 13. Apple is under lots of pressure from advertisers so they stopped them from working effectively. If you're dead set on Safari your only option would be to downgrade to version 12 but I'm not even sure if that's possible and would likely come with security risks.
[automerge]1588203912[/automerge]
I haven't found this to be too common. I think a few sites but honestly I can't remember what ones and I just close them and go elsewhere like the OP said.

Marc_S

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
I got that one, too, but had problems (or thought I did). Called AdGuard. Apparently there is a program for Safari and a different one for the Mac. What do you have, Marc, and why?
I've been using AdGaurd on my 2017 MBP for the past 2 years with no issues on Safari or Chrome. If AdGuard blocks a site incorrectly (by my own subjective opinion) I just add it to the Whitelist.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I've been using AdGaurd on my 2017 MBP for the past 2 years with no issues on Safari or Chrome. If AdGuard blocks a site incorrectly (by my own subjective opinion) I just add it to the Whitelist.
Which AdGuard do you use? AdGuard for Safari or AdGuard for the Mac?

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I know it's not exactly what you asked but I use uBlock Origin on Firefox. I use that for my general web browsing and Safari for paying bills etc where I don't need ad blocking.

I haven't found anything to work on Safari since version 13. Apple is under lots of pressure from advertisers so they stopped them from working effectively. If you're dead set on Safari your only option would be to downgrade to version 12 but I'm not even sure if that's possible and would likely come with security risks.
[automerge]1588203912[/automerge]

I haven't found this to be too common. I think a few sites but honestly I can't remember what ones and I just close them and go elsewhere like the OP said.

How come apple stops safari addons not to work efficently or it is the addon maker not being updated and optimized well ?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
How come apple stops safari addons not to work efficently or it is the addon maker not being updated and optimized well ?
Without having inside knowledge of Apple it's impossible to say how come. What is known is that Apple updated Safari in a way that caused current ad blockers to be unusable. Why could be Apple under pressure from advertising companies (My belief) or maybe Tim Cook just being himself. There is no way for the ad blockers to do what they did before. Now you can do ad blocking other ways but just not within Safari or at least not effectively. I chose to use Firefox because it's not a resource hog like Chrome and doesn't have any Google tracking attached.

This article explains a lot

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
Safari 13 is severely grippled Adblocker-wise, unfortunately. Switched to Chrome (+ uBlock Origin) because of that. Nothing from the Safari-Blockers comes even close. Tested AdGuard (blocked not as much, made browsing slower), 1Blocker, Wipr and others – nothing compares to uBlock Origin.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I like Ghostery

I stopped using it because Safari doesn't give assurances that Ghostery can't view or transmit data from webpages...

I think it was built before the Safari content blocker protocol was released.

danano

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Ghostery was updated to Ghostery Lite, which works in conjunction with Apple's content blocker protocols, and in my experience works well with Safari.

Reactions: pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ghostery was updated to Ghostery Lite, which works in conjunction with Apple's content blocker protocols, and in my experience works well with Safari.
I'm just resurfacing this thread because I just tried to install Ghostery Lite, which I've used on my other Macs, on my MBA 11" running Catalina and found out that the App Store version requires macOS 12. Does anyone know where I can find a version that works with Catalina (or is it possible to copy the extension from another Mac)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.