Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm planning on going to Best Buy around 4:30 but we'll see, I'll be watching various reports. Apparently we have a lot of places in the area to buy iPads including a few Apple stores so I'm hoping that'll keep me safe :) If it doesn't look like I'll get one at Best Buy, I'll just head to the Apple store.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'd love to go to an Apple store, but we have 1 in the state of Iowa :( So, most of us have to buy at BestBuy, Targets and Walmarts etc.
Between those stores I'd guess that Target and Walmart would be better because the employees are the least tech savvy and may even give you one early. But even though theres a few Apple Stores here I'm buying at Best Buy.

I've got $1300 store credit for my defective Macbook Pro that they refunded me due to the Lemon Law so I'm buying two. But my worry is if there's a limit.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I just wanna look, any info on when the ipads will be ON DISPLAY to use?? anywhere?
I know Best Buys by me had people stealing the ipad1 demos so they no longer had them on display for a while.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I just wanna look, any info on when the ipads will be ON DISPLAY to use?? anywhere?
I know Best Buys by me had people stealing the ipad1 demos so they no longer had them on display for a while.

Do you have an apple store? My closest apple store plans to have an hour long demonstration class scheduled on Saturday for the iPad so I'm guessing they plan to have stock still on Saturday.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I've got $1300 store credit for my defective Macbook Pro that they refunded me due to the Lemon Law so I'm buying two. But my worry is if there's a limit.

Best Buy has been told it is 1 per person/household can't remember how it was worded.

Best Buy is not supposed to even put out the display until 5:00pm tomorrow, but who knows if they will all follow those instructions.

fishcube

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Iowa
So, are BB going to have white ipads? I read somewhere that only apple stores are carrying them. It better not be true.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
So, are BB going to have white ipads? I read somewhere that only apple stores are carrying them. It better not be true.

supposed to be a 70/30 mix Black being the majority of course. Also the standard Best Buy's without Apple stores in them are going to be getting only wifi models.

inott

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Anybody in Savannah, GA find out stock at the Best Buys? I was working late and tuned in too late to call my stores. From the general consensus here it seems that most stores should have plenty tomorrow. Can't be too sure with a matter of this nature.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Damn I won't be able to get there till 6pm. I hope I can get one. My guess is that if they are allowing for in store pickup on March 12th, they have plenty. :).

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Damn I won't be able to get there till 6pm. I hope I can get one. My guess is that if they are allowing for in store pickup on March 12th, they have plenty. :).

They will begin those reservations on the 12th. They will not be available for in store pickup on the 12th.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I have a Best Buy a block away and an Apple store 15 minutes away and I'm going to the Apple store. I know they'll have accessories and I'm afraid Best Buy will bungle the ticking system. They'll either not do it, too it too soon, have no order in which they make people get in line, etc...

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I have a Best Buy a block away and an Apple store 15 minutes away and I'm going to the Apple store. I know they'll have accessories and I'm afraid Best Buy will bungle the ticking system. They'll either not do it, too it too soon, have no order in which they make people get in line, etc...
This is my concern as well. Yes, the wait may be longer at the Apple Store, but they'll have sufficient stock and (hopefully) the full line of accessories.

alstromerian

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
How crazy/accurate does this sound:

A Best Buy service rep told me that they typically don't get a a huge rush on launch events. My local BB is pretty close to an Apple store, and there are 4 Apple stores within about an hour of each other. She advised that for the last iPad launch, the nearest Apple store sold out before they did, and for the iPhone 4 launch, crowds didn't really show up until about noon. They sound pretty organized, and will be selling the 3g versions.

However, She also advised that they've been getting a ton of calls on this one. I'm hesitant because the iPad attracts people who don't normally go ga ga for Apple.

With these facts, would you take your chances on Best Buy? I'll be able to arrive at 3. I'm looking to get the 64gb 3g black (att).

Edit:

Has anybody had this kind of experience at Best Buy launches?

Last edited:

Bizzways

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I called BB yesterday to inquire about stock and ticketing. He said he didn't know how many they had and didn't mention handing out tickets. Just said that they won't be selling them until 5pm.

I just got off the phone with the local super-walmart. The guy said they got "7" iPad 2's in. I said "7.. total?" and he chuckled and said "yea, so one of each". The guy obviously doesn't realize how many different models there are this go around. But he did confirm that they wouldn't be selling until 5pm.

I'll be heading to my BB at noon to get in, or start a line. If there is no one there, and the employees claim to have a big stock, then I'll probably leave and come back round 3. But no later than 3. Need to get this one. I've been waiting a year!

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Guess I'll rush out of school at 3 to go to my local Best Buy and form a line.. hoping that no one is there. 1 Best Buy is within 1 mile away from my school, other Best Buy is 15 miles away. There's 3 Targets, 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Best Buy, and 1 Apple Store in my area.. but I'm hoping to get it at Best Buy, aiming for the White iPad 16gb with Blue Poly Smart Cover. There are a lot of AT&T and Verizon around here.. but I don't know if they're going to be selling wifi models of iPad 2 or not.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Seems like a good way to do it. I'd hate to wait in line then find out their out of the model you want. I can imagine a lot of angry people at Apple stores tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.