Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy will begin offering AppleCare and AppleCare+ extended warranty plans for the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and other eligible Apple products across its U.S. stores starting September 13, according to an internal training video obtained by MacRumors. The news was first reported by 9to5Mac.

AppleCare-Best-Buy.jpg

AppleCare+ purchased through Best Buy will include accidental damage coverage for the same service fees charged by Apple. Both protection plans will also cover the accessories in the box and most other products on the same transaction, such as an Apple Display or AirPort Express purchased alongside an iMac.

Customers that purchase AppleCare or AppleCare+ can receive service at Best Buy or take their product directly to Apple. Best Buy will continue to offer revamped Geek Squad warranty plans for non-Apple products, including Geek Squad Protect & Support, Protect & Support Plus, 24/7 Support and Product Replacement.

Apple is expected to announce the next-generation "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" within the first two weeks of September, with in-store availability usually occurring around one week later, so AppleCare and AppleCare+ should be available at Best Buy in time for the launch of those smartphones.

Article Link: Best Buy to Offer AppleCare and AppleCare+ Starting September 13

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
i've had nothing but the worst service from best buy, no way i'm bringing my shiny new apple product in to them to be fixed...

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is a nice option to have when traveling in an area that doesn't have an Apple Store. I'd always prefer to bring to to an Apple Store, but sometimes it just isn't an option.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
"Hello - is that Best Buy? Yes? Good.

I recently purchased an iPhone with Applecare from your good selves, and at the same time I also purchased a small tube of Krazy Glue.

I just wondered if the AppleCare plan includes the removal of Apple products that have accidentally been stuck to oneself?"

AppleCare-Best-Buy.jpg

Last edited:

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Accidental damage covered on your Mac just for buying the AppleCare+ from BestBuy instead of Apple is a good deal for me!

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Its nice to see that Best Buy appears to be reversing their anti-Apple attitude of the past few years with this and acceptance of Apple Pay. At a few stores I've been to, the Microsoft and Samsung sections were huge and the Apple products were pushed off into a small corner, but they've been renovated and made more prominent recently.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I wonder with Verizon dumping contracts, no TMobile, and AT&T in corporate stores only if there is a chance that Best Buy will begin selling unlocked phones at retail without marking up the price as they do today. Seems to me that they are carrying the Watch and now Apple Care there is a chance.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I always thought Apple authorized resellers have been able to sell AppleCare? Maybe that changed with the AppleCare+ for phones? Or did Best Buy try to sell their own branded extended warranty on Apple products? At least with AppleCare you don't have to take it to Best Buy for the service!

Reactions: Lazy

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Normally I'd agree with you, but this is a nice option to have when traveling in an area that doesn't have an Apple Store. I'd always prefer to bring to to an Apple Store, but sometimes it just isn't an option.

LOL, if Best Buy is the only store in town, it's still not an option due to their poor reliable service, that's what people are trying to tell you.

I'd rather drive 200 miles to an Apple Store than have Best Buy geeks even touch my phone, even if I lived next door a Best Buy.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Accidental damage covered on your Mac just for buying the AppleCare+ from BestBuy instead of Apple is a good deal for me!
Woops, that's a mistake. Only AppleCare+ includes accidental damage coverage just like directly from Apple. I'm updating the article.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Clearly, you have never dealt with, nor researched, Best Buy's service department.

I live 5 minutes from Best Buy. I live 2 hours and 3 states away from the nearest Apple store. I have no problem taking my Apple products into Best Buy. They can drive over them with the Geek Squad car. But they'll have to give me a replacement.

Reactions: Mazeman

smithy12

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
I know it is a huge profit maker for them, but I really think that in this day and age, the world's most valuable company could offer more than 1 year of warranty on its products as standard.

Not sure if its just a UK thing or not but I purchased a new macbook from Apple via the back to school promotion online last week and was given 3 years warranty plus the free beats

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Woops, that's a mistake. Only AppleCare+ includes accidental damage coverage just like directly from Apple. I'm updating the article.

Wait so it's the same exact coverage as buying from Apple? Apple only does accidental damages on your iPhone and iPad but NOT the Mac?

sammaffei

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Never buy AppleCare at point-of-sale or from retail!!! There are many reputable sellers on eBay that will give you a significant discount. For example, I just got AppleCare for my MacBook Pro Retina 15" for $244 from a seller on eBay where it would cost $350 retail from Apple (and yes, the registration code provided worked).

Also, you have up to the year from the computer's purchase date to buy AppleCare. Don't be in a rush and shop for the best price.

Reactions: jtrenda33

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Never buy AppleCare at point-of-sale or from retail!!! There are many reputable sellers on eBay that will give you a significant discount. For example, I just got AppleCare for my MacBook Pro Retina 15" for $244 from a seller on eBay where it would cost $350 retail from Apple (and yes, the registration code provided worked).

Also, you have up to the year from the computer's purchase date to buy AppleCare. Don't be in a rush and shop for the best price.

And there are also MANY people that sell fake AppleCare, and also fake iTunes cards.

For me, if it's worth getting AppleCare for, it's worth getting real AppleCare...

I wouldn't buy heart medicine at a flea market, and that's basically what ebay is. And for people that don't know what a flea market is, I feel for you. Imagine a dark alley, in, say New York, and getting a 'great deal' on real 'Prado' bags that 'sell at Macy's for hundreds of dollars'...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.