Best for me?: 2017 vs. Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by evanp, Apr 23, 2018.

1. evanp macrumors newbie

evanp

I'm looking to have an alternative to my nearly 5lb MacBook that I can have in my bag most days to sit down someplace and do some writing, so my main concerns are total weight (even a little more goes a long way on your back all day) and probably how it handles bright light situations. But obviously I should also consider support longevity and I want a keyboard case for it.
    Here's a breakdown of my choices:

Air 2 16GB (Nearly new condition, has LTE I don't need)
    - $45 less
    - anti-glare coating and laminated display (how much stock should I put in this?)
    - compatible and low price Anker case weighs nearly half what I've found for the other iPad (about .8lbs)

iPad 32GB (2017)
    - $40 more but newer chipset, bigger storage
    - 25% brighter and oleophobic coating
    - good cases are mostly more expensive and havent found one close to 1lb (mostly near 1.5lbs)

Never owned a tablet before. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

The main advantage to the Air 2, IMO, is that it is the thinnest and lightest of iPads. Yes, the laminated display might be nice in some situations, but I don't think it is going to be your deal breaker. The 16GB of storage might be your biggest concern, but if you are cloud dependent and/or don't need large files like movies on your iPad, the storage probably won't be an issue.

I think you'll be pretty happy with the iPad in general. There's a lot of utility to be had with one in your home as well.

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

I’ve only owned one Mac tablet. The iPad 2017. I read my school books augment with a keyboard for homework and do so many more amazing things on it. I’ve blasted through most of the storage but it does so much. I think the iPad. It’s light very light.