Best iPhone X gimbal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iBrooker, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Kenshin98 macrumors newbie

Kenshin98

So procam really works in disabling off the OIS. I'm still waiting for my iphone X. Was wondering if it works with Smooth Q gimbal with no jittery effect? Appreciate if anyone able to confirm..

2. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that the standard ProCam app or the 'upgrade' as per my post previously?

3. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I, too, am still waiting with bated breath to know if the ProCam App or any other app can truly disable the OIS and not just the SIS.

I know at the moment both the DJI site and Amazon are selling the DJI Mobile refurbished for $159 and the I think BestBuy has or had or will have the Smooth Q at a Black Friday pricing of $99. Sorry I don't have any links to post up at the moment.

4. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors 6502

Just downloaded "Procam 5" from the app store. Had a setting to turn it off.

5. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

NOTHING can turn off OIS, be advised.

It can be added as a mechanism, as some cameras do, but it hasn’t on the iPhone.

6. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you seen the comparison videos here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-67362-1-1.html theres a huge difference when using procam...

Also can you link to Apple developer docs or where it's stated OIS can't be turned off please?

7. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Definitely slightly better but the wobble is still there. Even the other posters comment on it.

I’m not an app developer so can’t point you to any documentation that says it can’t. But that forum you’ve linked has a tsunami of unhappy customers because of OIS. I’m pretty sure DJI would have turned it off if they could.

8. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like they are looking into it..

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112789-1-1.html

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I don't think DJI will ever address this. They have known this for the last year and not done a thing :( It's more likely they will release a new gimbal to sell instead.

10. avonord, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

avonord macrumors regular

You guys should watch this

He could be wrong but the result with filmic pro and IS look great.

11. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

The comments underneath that video disagree unfortunately. OIS can’t be turned off.
    The gimbal creators will have to come up with software that can compensate. ‘Flowmotion’ claim to have but they’re product hasn’t been released yet.
    Ideally, Apple will put a ‘brake’ system on the OIS so it can be locked, so app makers could switch it off.
    But currently there isn’t even a brake. Lens sits on sensitive springs. No way to control it.

12. avonord macrumors regular

I read the comments as well. The statement “OIS can’t be turned off” is misleading. It could be turned off. It’s just that it may lack the “brake” that locks the mechanism in place. Regardless, to me based on the YouTube video, iPhone OIS works fine with gimbal when using filmic IS feature. (For walking, anyway).

One curious thing is — I have read again and again that the jello issue can be solved by turning off the auto focus. You guys should try it. I can’t test yet cuz I don’t have my new iPhone and gimbal yet.

I’m getting a Zhiyun SmoothQ and an iPhone X in a couple weeks. I’ll report back.

13. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like Flowmotion might be what we're all waiting for!

Skip to 4 mins in to hear their claims abut OIS:

I love the extension pole btw... and I'm tempted to pre-order to get that discount (it says, 100% money back guarantee so what we got to lose?)

14. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

One thing that worries me about FM is that their demos seem to be 95% filmed while on a skateboard or a bike.. and they keep pushing shipping back.

15. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I'm putting flowmotion into another crowdsourcing hype brackets. Flowmotion make the claim but no technical backing of how they are going to do this. I think the answer isn't in a physical gimbal if it's an on/off thing.

I read something like OIS can't be turned off as magnets are inside the lens stabilising the camera...or something like that. People are even trying to place magnets around their camera to reduce jitter. If this is the case, software can't turn OIS off.

16. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm a little worried about the Flowmotion relying on it being faster than OIS:

Having said that, I've seen some videos of the iPhone 7 on pro gimbals and the footage was excellent - so maybe they're right and will get it sorted in time for launch.

Quite impressed with this:

Using the Zhiyun Smooth 3 on the iPhone X

17. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

If all Flowmotion is doing is adjusting speed than Zhiyun has a companion app you can do this with. I'm sure we can create some settings to adjust speed and compensate (problem is, you miss out on smooth slow shots).

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I’m personally using a zhiyun with my old 5s. Probably going to sell it and get a iPhone se since it can shoot in 4K and as far as I know does have OIS.

19. importraverxx macrumors regular

Tested mine last weekend walking around normal using the OSMO and the X with the Speck Grip Case on for a good 1.5-2 hours straight. I thought the result is pretty good for not really paying attention to it. You can see the clip below.

20. Carb0n12 macrumors member

Looks good to be honest. My OSMO will be coming in on Thursday. I will post my results as well. 4K 60 FPS as well as 4K 24fps. I’ll also test out the native camera app, DJI app, Pro Cam and Filmic Pro

21. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I can't wait.

22. Carb0n12 macrumors member

Apologies for the delays, was traveling on the holidays. Going to start filing now then will post ASAP.

23. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

That looks really good! Very impressed with the X's camera so far - and it looks amazing on that Gimbal!

Looking forward to it :)

24. darrinS macrumors 6502

darrinS

For those with the DJI Osmo Mobile, I’m gettin mine tomorrow. I don’t have my iPhone X in a case, maybe a silly question, but do you think having the phone in the Osmo without a case will scratch up the bezel of the X? Thanks for any comments.

Darrin

25. vajeff macrumors member

I just got the Osmo last night. I have the Apple Leather case, and I can get the phone to balance with that case on the phone.

That said, I do not think the Osmo would scratch the phone. It is held in place with a rubber material.