Best iPhone X gimbal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iBrooker, Nov 2, 2017.

1. darrinS macrumors 6502

Thanks for your thoughts. I received mine today. It is a very nice device. Can’t wait to shoot some videos. I had purchased a Zhuyen Smooth Q but returned it. It was probably user error, but I couldn’t get my iPhone X to balance. I also didn’t like the spring holder.

2. Gom33 macrumors newbie

Did you guys have issues with the gimbal going unbalance after 2-3 minutes when you had case on? I was Filming my sons bday party and the Osmo just “died” in a sense. Battery was on but the motors on gimbal stopped working? I haven’t tried without a case, just trying to think if the X is too heavy with case? I had iPhone X w/Apple silicone case on. Gimbal is brand new.

3. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Osmo Mobile is great. I have it. Lots of intelligent features such as auto panorama stitching, face following, slow pan for time-lapse etc. Great.

4. robdel macrumors newbie

I am just about to order the Osmo Mobile and wonder if anyone has an update to make in re wether the gimbal will work fine with the iPhone X or not. If not, please specify what is or when it is not working properly.

5. darrinS macrumors 6502

I recently got mine. I only shot video outside on one occasion so far, but it worked great with my X. I was easily able to balance it with my RhinoShield Mod case. The only thing that didn’t work, but i could have done something wrong, is I couldn’t get the zoom feature to work. I held in the lock trigger and used the thumb pad, but nothing happened. I am super happy with it though.

6. robdel macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the swift reply. I've read horrific reviews and watched horrific videos on youtube, but I've also seen some great videos done with the two gadgets paired, so I am puzzled. However, I think I'll buy one this weekend.

Do you use the DJI app or filmic pro or something else?

Thanks again for replying!

7. darrinS macrumors 6502

I’ve just been using the DJI app. I will probably try out more apps once I get used to using the Osmo. I was at my local Apple Store a couple of days ago and saw that they sell the Osmo Mobile. I didn’t even know that. If you buy it there, I’m sure you can easily return it if you’re not happy.

8. robdel macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll revert with a review in a week or two.

9. vajeff macrumors member

I have not used a ton, but when I have, I have had no issues with the X and the Apple leather case.

10. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Using a magnet supposedly interferes with the OIS and "disables" it so to speak. haven't tried this myself.

11. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

Just tried this on my iPhone X. I think my magnet might not be powerful enough, and maybe this is pure placebo effect, but as I move the magnet around in the camera area, I THINK it certainly improved. I need to pick up stronger earth magnets to try this. I'm hoping it doesn't have any permanent damaging effects. I would assume the mechanics involved are quite fragile and might easily bend, warp or become stuck, BUT, if not, this could be the band aid answer.

12. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I have had the same thoughts. My concern was magnataising the the mechanics internally that could cause poor operation. Will it damage it in the next two years before my Apple care runs our? Could Apple prove I was misusing my phone?

I have a DJI Osmo and I may do a before and after comparison.

13. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

14. edfoo macrumors 6502

What can this gimbal do that others e.g. DJI Osmo and Zhiyun Smooth Q and Smooth 3 can't do?

15. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently, 'works' - without jitter etc.

It also allows you to use an extension pole as the battery is built into the phone grip. Checkout their youtube videos.

It's been dogged by heavy delays though - some think it may even be vapourware!

16. edfoo macrumors 6502

I only own the Zhiyun Smooth Q. Even with the overweight iPhone 8 Plus, it still works well, no jitters. It also has a tripod hole at the bottom of the handle if I want to attach an extension pole (strong one preferably) to it. Best of all, I bought it for AUD $129, which is like around USD $100.

17. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

the Smooth Q has a tendency to wig out for no reason even with non 'Plus' ™ phones. If you hit the wrong angle it will stutter and shake violently. Not just personal experience but you can see it in many of the videos shot online / youtube.

18. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Any updates on the DJI and X compatibility issue regarding the phon built in stabilization conflict?

I plan to pick one up tonight.

19. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

No real fix for it. Both cameras have OIS and the problems have persisted. There is a way to cripple the OIS using a magnet. I'm not recommending anyone do that but it does work..

20. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Thanks for your quick reply. So for an amateur weekend family video dad, this gimbal will do more bad than good when shooting with my iPhone X? I don't plan to ever shoot professional like videos but rather improve the quality of my home videos.

21. darrinS macrumors 6502

I’m like you, a simple amateur shooting home style videos and I love my DJI Osmo Mobile and my iPhone X. My videos are much improved.

22. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Have you tried using a selfie stick? A cheap selfie stick (extended) can really reduce the jitter of walking and tracking shots. Unfortunately at this time using the DJI Osmo Mobile will make your videos worse than when shot by hand.

23. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Thanks my bumper buddy =) I'll be picking one up tomorrow. Just trying to decide for either the DJI or the Zhiyun Smooth Q.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    I've never owned a selfie stick in my life and don't plan to use one :) But thank you for the tip.
    Also, I see the DJI for $199. Was it regularly $299?

24. darrinS macrumors 6502

I had a Smooth Q and returned it. I had difficulties balancing my X with it off. The directions weren’t as clear as the Osmo, so I probably wasn’t doing it right. And I didn’t like how the iPhone holder worked. It’s just a spring, I’m not super coordinated, and it was difficult to open the spring and place the phone in. I felt like I needed 3 hands. The Osmo has a knob to twist for the holder. And it’s super easy to balance, especially with a different case everyday. Lol I’d recommend buying the Osmo at the Apple Store so you can easily return it if you’re not happy with it.

25. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

DJI it is then! I like the finish better anyways. Any problems in balancing considering you have a lot of cases to test? lol

I'm a BB Elite plus member so I have a 45 return period.

I'm thinking of either getting a Samsung t5 (external SSD) or a gimbal to go along my 512gb 15" MBP TB and X.

What's your setup and storage method for videos to edit?
    Darin,

I have another question pls... I plan to use the DJI app primarily to take pictures and videos.

Does it save the pics/videos on its own library or it goes directly to your iPhones photo library?

It would suck if one will have to save two large video files in two separate libraries.