Best iPhone X Hands on yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Sep 18, 2017.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I have seen a few good ones, but this one really showed how fast and fluid the device is with the new gestures. I am looking forward to having one.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

So after you use Face ID to unlock, then you have to swipe up to open the home screen,....really ? With touch ID, you touch it and it opens up to the home screen without swiping. Am I missing something or is this a double step that touch ID does not have ?

5. Relentless Power, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Two things:

1.) Face ID is much faster than I thought it would be. Almost instantaneous when looking at that female.

2.) I barely even noticed the notch during the entire review of the iPhone. It really wasn't that distracting.

6. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I was skeptical at first but now I definitely want one! This is the best iPhone X hands-on I've seen so far. Thanks for posting this!

7. sdz macrumors 6502

yes. Double step.
    Actually 2 steps more.
    Power button And swiping.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

No need to press the power button. If you hold the phone up it "wakes". Once it reads your eyes/face to unlock you swipe up. Two steps. Touch ID is one step.

9. sdz macrumors 6502

Not what the man in the review did.
    The iPhone was already in his hands.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

It’s the same thing. Pick up your phone and swipe to get to home screen. Or pick up your phone and push the home button to go to the home screen. Same thing. One step.

11. Macalway macrumors 68030

12. sdz macrumors 6502

WROOONG

13. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Riggght
    Raise to wake is a feature introduced on the 6S. That in itself is one step then you either swipe up (on iPhone X) or touch/press Touch ID (older devices and based on the toggle in the Accessibility settings)
    There has to be two steps for people to see their notifications before going to home screen.

14. Damstr macrumors 6502

How do you know you can't have the iPhone go to the home screen just by looking at your iPhone to unlock it? You don't. You can do that with current TouchID, it's called "rest to wake" and I'm sure something similar will be implemented on the X. That actually means you will have to do less things with the X to unlock and go to the home screen than every other iPhone with TouchID.

It's really not that much of a difference.

15. sdz macrumors 6502

Yes, but I had situations where the iPhone was locked and already in my hands.
    That is why the CoMotion Processor does not detect the "pick up motion". With TouchID no problem: You power on and unlock the device simultaneously .

16. Nozuka macrumors 68020

it's natural, alot of people are afraid of change.

17. sdz macrumors 6502

It is like electric vehicles: Some day I will accept to drive a car on battery if it matches/exceeds the benefits of a Diesel Car: Range & Availability.

18. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

But not instantaneously.

As far as I can tell (and obviously until the reviews come in, none of us have much to go on), the process of swiping up and Face ID unlocking the phone is simultaneous.

If the phone is in your hand but switched off, a tap and swipe isn't going to take any longer than the press and hold needed for Touch ID to recognise what you want to do.

19. voodoo709 macrumors newbie

At 8:33 in the apple employee had been looking at the screen a few seconds and the lock icon was still showing locked, only after swiping up did it finally authenticate correctly, so quite slow in that instance. There seems to be a wide variation on how long it takes to authenticate.

20. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

Only when she swiped up did the phone go to home screen. The delay was in her swiping up. The video doesn't clearly show how long the phone took to unlock.

Bottom line is, we need proper testing to verify all this. But it does seem to me to be a lot easier than Touch for your average user.

21. Macalway, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Macalway macrumors 68030

continued OT.....

It's curious how much control we will have over the ID. The rest-to-wake is what I have always used and it's almost ideal.

Now, just looking at the phone without a swipe up? I'm not sure why you would even need the swipe.

22. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

The screen looks wider than the 4.7 inch version, not sure why apple says its the same width?

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

When he said "Hey, Siri" in the video it activated it on my phone. And I don't like the way that guy pronounces his double Ts. Phone looks nice.

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Because people want to see their Notifications without it immediately going to the Home Screen just because they look at their phone.

25. UKFan643 macrumors regular

It shows that it unlocks pretty quickly. Watch the video again and you'll see as soon as he points it at her face, the lock icon at the top of the screen changes to unlocked. But that doesn't get you in the phone. It only unlocks it. Then, you swipe up to get to your home screen.

I happen to like that. I like being able to look through my notifications before I go in to the phone. So I like that it will unlock and then wait for me to choose to go to the home screen.