Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus, Apple now supports Qi-based wireless inductive charging on its latest phones, and that means charging pads have quickly become popular accessories for iPhone owners.

wireless_chargers.jpg

Apple's favored partners for wireless charging pads are Belkin and mophie, and Apple is carrying a $60 charger from each company in its own online and retail stores. But there are lots of other options available on the market, and we've had a chance to try out a number of them, so we're rounding them up in this guide which we'll continue to update going forward.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Best Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus

Reactions: dabotsonline

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Hopefully with Apple now in the Qi market, we'll start to see more better looking (and functioning) chargers hitting the market. I'm currently using the Mophie charger, which seems to work fine, but I'd like to see something even less intrusive design-wise - especially for the stand-version for desk use at work.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
“Best Wireless Chargers...” /proceeds to list nearly every option
Point taken, but part of the difficulty is that "best" means something different to everyone. So it's really an overview laying out some impressions that will hopefully help everyone be more aware of the options out there and help them decided for themselves what will work best for their situation and usage patterns.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Glad to see this list. Just got an iPhone 8 Plus for my wife and myself, and don't really see much of the benefit of wireless charging. I understand it is faster, but I usually only charge at night. Takes all of 5 seconds to plug my phone in and the charging pad still needs a power cable running to it.

I suppose getting a larger pad (which would then take up too much space on my nightstand) would be beneficial to charge more than one device. Apple's pad, when it comes out, may be interesting. Once iPads have this feature added, I would hope to see charging devices that can hold multiple devices vertically to save space.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad this option is included. Interested to see where it goes from here, but with only one device to charge using this, not sure it is worth the extra cost just to avoid plugging in my phone itself.

Reactions: MrMister111

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Have to say, am enjoying my very old Nokia wireless charging plate (DT-900) ~$30 on eBay with my 8 Plus. Very happy I can use them, but especially with an iPhone.

Reactions: j3T

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Lucky I kept my old charger I had for my Galaxy S7 Edge. Works fine on the X in portrait or landscape.

It is a stand type. At least with that I can see the display from my bed if anything pops up.

I charge overnight so speed is not important.

kmm333

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Point taken, but part of the difficulty is that "best" means something different to everyone. So it's really an overview laying out some impressions that will hopefully help everyone be more aware of the options out there and help them decided for themselves what will work best for their situation and usage patterns.

Agreed! It was a nice overview of the different options. I was just expecting something different given the title. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: Swampthing

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Well, I thought you would compare at least the two Apple certified 7.5 watt adapters and some other chargers...
Would like to know the charging speed difference...

Reactions: Swampthing

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Glad to see this list. Just got an iPhone 8 Plus for my wife and myself, and don't really see much of the benefit of wireless charging. I understand it is faster, but I usually only charge at night. Takes all of 5 seconds to plug my phone in and the charging pad still needs a power cable running to it.

I suppose getting a larger pad (which would then take up too much space on my nightstand) would be beneficial to charge more than one device. Apple's pad, when it comes out, may be interesting. Once iPads have this feature added, I would hope to see charging devices that can hold multiple devices vertically to save space.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad this option is included. Interested to see where it goes from here, but with only one device to charge using this, not sure it is worth the extra cost just to avoid plugging in my phone itself.

I felt similarly to you before getting my X and Mophie Qi charger. But now that I've got a week of use under my belt with the wireless charger, I want to ditch all my corded chargers - as does my wife, even though she's still on a 7. There is something really liberating when you can just set your phone down and have it charge. I've currently got the charger next to my bed, where it's probably less important to be cordless (what's it matter while you sleep), but when I wake up at 3am to read emails (coming in from Europe), it's nice to just grab the phone, read the messages then set it back down, with no cords to tug or get tangled up in.

Now I want a desk-top Qi charger (stand, so I can easily check notifications) for my work desk, to eliminate having to plug and unplug every time I need to leave my desk. I've already got a custom acrylic stand I designed that holds both my iPad and iPhone side by side, so I may just buy a Qi coil and modify the stand to become a wireless charger.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I use a TYLT VU and I love it. Just had to prop it up higher with something in the back. It's too low at 45 degrees for my usage.

Dizzy714

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
So does the RAVPower charge at 7.5w or not? Has anybody found a DIY option to get the Mophie charger vertical like the RAVPower’s upcoming stand that mounts the puck so you can place your phone vertically.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I bought two chargers from IKEA (Rällen), that can be build into furniture. They only cost 12,99€ in Germany and have a Wall adapter included. Very happy with those

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Just got an iPhone 8 Plus for my wife and myself, and don't really see much of the benefit of wireless charging.
You won't until you try it. I thought the same thing. Now I love it; I just plop the iPhone on the pad and let it charge. You can argue that it only saves one small step, but for me it makes a big difference and saves wear and tear on the Lightning port and cable.

BTW, I picked up my charger on eBay for $12 and so far it's working great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone...-Charging-Pad-Stand-Dock-Mat-IOS/253156381331

Reactions: j3T

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
Does wireless charging put more stress than usual on the battery? I heard that fast charging does, due to fast charging generates more heat.

himynameisjuan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
I bought a magbak case and it sucks when trying to use wireless charging. It'll charge 1% in 10 minutes. I found myself having to remove the case IF i'm going to be using the charging pad. (mophie)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.