Best Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NotSafeForWork macrumors regular

NotSafeForWork

I tried a few different designs and settled on the vertical stand-type because the phone is ALWAYS in the right spot to charge versus plopping down the phone horizontally before bed only to find it didn't charge overnight. Moving the phone trying to find the sweet-spot got old real fast.

Ended up with 3 of these, they work perfectly ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0IL0QX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

It's called Air Power, but it's not available yet.

3. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Maybe you missed it but it’s been here for years. Qi chargers have been showing up in cars for a long, long time now. I use mine every day.

4. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

The Choetech T511 is 5W, not 7.5W. It says the output is 5V, 1A on its Amazon page.

5. B Jones macrumors newbie

It should be noted that all two of the over 5w wireless charging pads I have had contact with need a QuickCharge power adapter suppling 9v to charge above 5w.
    The Samsung power adapter is rated at 5v/9v (it doesn’t mention QC, but my USB power meter says that is the protocol it uses), and switches to 9v when the Samsung Qi desk stand is plugged in.
    The Anker PowerPort Qi 10 also switches to 9v when plugged into a QC adapter, and again only when at 9v does a Samsung phone report it is fast charging.
    Neither of these pads fast charged when plugged into a 5v only adapter, even if it was capable of supplying over 12w.
    My iPhone8 doesn’t tell me if it is charging at 5w or 7.5w, but the Samsung Note 8 does say when it is wirelessly fast charging.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Apple haven’t released a wireless charging pad, yet.
    They announced the Apple AirPower triple device charging pad at the iPhone X announcement event, but it isn’t due to be released until some time in 2018.
    At a rumoured $200, I’m not waiting for it for my single compatible device.

6. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

It's funny, and odd that, esp given the recent Battery Issues/Arguments in iPhones.
    No one is saying how Wireless charging hurts the battery.
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Wireless charging, whilst convenient and easy, was in reality not good long term.
    Heat is the enemy of batteries.
    And Heat over an extended time is the very worst.

Whilst I love the concept of wireless charging, and my (non Apple phone) has supported Wireless charging for the past few years I've owned it, AND I have a wireless charging mat.
    I don't use it, as I know it will long term hurt my battery much more, as the phone will sit on the pad, getting warm for far far longer than via a wired charger.

As I say, I love the concept, but I won't use it.

And, again it's common knowledge it's not good for the battery

7. HowieIsaacks macrumors regular

HowieIsaacks

It's missing because it hasn't been released yet.
    I have been using a Mophie wireless charger for over a month, and there's no more heat generated by the charging process than if I just plugged my iPhone in to the wired charger. No matter. My iPhone X is under warranty, and I will likely trade it out next year anyway.

8. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Please note. It's not so much the heat as such, as yes, all chargers make the phone/battery warm up.
    It's timescale.
    You want as little heat, over as short a timescale as possible.
    Heat is one of THE BIGGEST enemies of batteries.

Wireless chargers, by their very nature, are much slower, coils generate heat etc.
    So the end result is your battery gets warmer/as warm for a much longer time period.

[​IMG]

The worry will be, rather then plugging in for a hour in the evening, it could become common for people to just plop the phone down on the wireless pad overnight.

I must add again.... i love the concept of putting the phone on a pad all the time to keep it tip top.
    But whilst I'd love to do this, I don't as I know the long term damage.

Of course, added to this is that, most high end phones don't allow you to simply pop the back off and throw in a brand new battery super easy. If that were the case, of course, this would be far less of an issue. :)

9. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

10. Marx55 macrumors 68000

This is amazing. We are destroying planet Earth and nobody seems to care. Wireless charging is a waste of energy. Wired whatever is much better than wireless whenever possible for anything, including also keyboards and mice. Batteries are obnoxious to the environment, besides much less convenient (for instance, less responsive) and a pain to recharge routinely.

11. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

None of these chargers will work with the Apple Watch. It’s not Qi.
    In practice, there’s often not a lot of difference between 5w and 7.5w chargers due to outside variables like temperature, power level, etc. That makes it pretty difficult to compare speeds between wireless chargers, and in lot of situations, results aren’t replicable in different environments. For example, wireless charging speeds will vary by ambient temperature. Because of these variations, it’s hard to definitively say one charger is faster than another. In ideal conditions, you’re going to get better charging from the 7.5w, but you’re not always going to have ideal conditions. It’s best to use these for charging over time when you don’t need an immediate boost, aka when situations where the difference between 7.5w and 5w doesn’t even matter.

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

They look nice but issue is that my phone almost instantly vibrates off of the charger. I’ve bought several and Mophie is easily the best for keeping the phone in place. Charges the fastest too.
    The planet is just fine. Calm down. lol.

13. Hazmat401 macrumors newbie

Hazmat401

Samsung has the best looking premium Wireless charging convertible hands down

14. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

True that. I browsed them all the other day and they are all gaudy plastic techno alexa ring'd crap.

15. koraykupe macrumors newbie

koraykupe

I have "Samsung Fast Charge Wireless Charging Convertible" but I am not sure if it charges my wife's iPhone X fast or normal. Is there any indicator if iPhone is charging in fast mode?

16. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I thought the same, but ordered the Belkin when I pre-ordered the 8+, and have to say that, gimmick it appeared at first, it's really easy to just drop the iPhone on the pad, and done. Waking up to phone calls and messages no longer means trying to find the damned thing, and having the cord sweep things off the nightstand. So at least so far, it's been awesome. The same with the rather large Apple Watch charging dock, which I bought a few months after it came out.

Apple should have probably done wireless charging sooner, but for all their talk about 'think different', and 'rebel', they really like to play reactive rather than revolutionary, don't they... *shrug*
    And up to this point, I never knew there were so many chargers on the market. I don't know if I would have chosen anything other than the Belkin, but it's nice to know of the other options now.

Given rumours that the Apple charger will be 'large', these will probably still sell rather well. At least until the wireless charging iPads come out...

The Powerstation is a good idea. I bought the Belkin portable power brick with the Apple Watch charger puck, and actually needed it on a road trip. I also had to jump my 8+, and had to use a cable, so having a powerbrick that could do BOTH wirelessly would be pretty cool for road warriors. Carry on...
    To each their own.

I think they all look hideous, but they perform a function, and when in operation, are usually covered mostly, or completely, by the charging device. I was looking at the Samsung chargers for a 'travel charger pad', and find them to look too... 'Samsung'... I thought that I'd rather have a small disc, and after seeing these other offerings, think that I'll wait and see what else comes out this spring.

But one thing is for sure, there will not be one pad that rules them all, one pad that will control the market. Especially when they start going in the 'desk fashion accessory' direction.

17. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I have noticed that placement is important, but once the phone dings to notify that it's started to charge, it's worked without issue for me. As I've noted elsewhere, hopefully Apple being in the Qi pool will only help push more manufacturers to step up their game in regard to both design and function of wireless chargers. The market certainly is ripe for change and improvement.

18. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I was given the Anker charger as a Christmas present and I like it a lot. It has a soft touch covered pad so I'm sure there won't be any slippage even if one isn't using a case. More fast charging might be nice, but my iPhone X battery life is so good and drop and charge so convenient that battery life issues are basically done for me. I've no need for fast charging.

19. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Hmm... I had an incident with my Belkin pad. I placed the iPhone on it, and it dinged, and the light came on. I woke up to the light being on, and the iPhone being somewhere surprisingly far under 50%. I don't know how that happened, but I've also had that happen a few times with the AW charging dock. It would seem that, like in sex, position is everything.

I find myself checking to make sure that everything is charging on the nights before 'road trip days'. You can't reason with hurricane season...

20. Marco Klobas macrumors member

Marco Klobas

I got the Satechi. So far so good. I can confirm that the LED doesn't turns green when charging is completed with an iPhone X. Not a big deal for me.

21. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

I bought the RAVPower Fast Charger on a deal for $9.99, one for the wife too.

Wireless charging changed our lives!

22. Poly macrumors 6502

Why would I need an overpriced USB C charger? I am currently using an Anker 24W charger with an USB A cable. Works fine.

23. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I’ve heard reports of noise coming from the wall adapter when no phone is on the the charging pad. Do you year anything?

24. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

25. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

So which, apart from official/unofficial Mophie and Belkin, are Qi credited and do charge at 7.5W please?

Ideally I want one with a UK plug power as well included.

Do the Mophie and Belkin come with one?