Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unless you don’t get it by Christmas. I agree with you though.
Yeah, but the point is this desire of getting it on the very first day seems to be causing people unwanted angst. Once the dust settles and the people get the phones, all will be good. So why not just be content and patient and the OP will get his phone when he gets his phone. It is only a phone after all. :)

Classic_Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
With all the threads about the iPhone X being shipped with tracking numbers, are those who ordered through BestBuy a little concerned that yours won't get here by Friday the 3rd according to your confirmation/order number?

Honestly I am more concerned that people are being ripped off $100 extra dollars. Shame on Best Buy! :mad:

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Can you ELI5?

The verizon version uses a qualcomm modem that works with any provider, is supposedly more power efficient and gets better reception. The ATT version uses an intel modem that is reportedly worse and only works with GSM providers.

If there is any chance that the Qualcomm version is even 1% better, for a $1,000 phone, I am not messing around with the inferior modem.
[doublepost=1509377867][/doublepost]
Honestly I am more concerned that people are being ripped off $100 extra dollars. Shame on Best Buy! :mad:

Either best buy or my credit card company will refund the $100, I am not worried about it.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
The verizon version uses a qualcomm modem that works with any provider, is supposedly more power efficient and gets better reception. The ATT version uses an intel modem that is reportedly worse and only works with GSM providers.

If there is any chance that the Qualcomm version is even 1% better, for a $1,000 phone, I am not messing around with the inferior modem.
[doublepost=1509377867][/doublepost]

Either best buy or my credit card company will refund the $100, I am not worried about it.
But if we purchased a full price iPhone from Best Buy, there's no real way of knowing what modem it has?

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
But if we purchased a full price iPhone from Best Buy, there's no real way of knowing what modem it has?

No, if you selected "Verizon" you are getting the Qualcomm modem. If you selected AT&T you are getting the Intel modem.

The "verizon" version will work fine with AT&T but you need to just put the AT&T sim card in. Some report that you should not even turn it on before putting the AT&T sim in, which will be my plan.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
It’s beyond overblown. You’ll never know, so don’t go looking.

I'm sure the average consumer who isn't doing anything special would not notice, but there were multiple side-by-side tests done with iPhone 7 between the Qualcomm and Intel variants, and there very much were differences observed in LTE speed and signal reliability. Apple even had to specifically and purposely modify the modem software on the Qualcomm modem to reduce its performance, which is the only reason the differences aren't even more widely noticed.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
It’s beyond overblown. You’ll never know, so don’t go looking.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-qualcomm-intel-modem-cellular-performance/

lots of youtube videos of head to head performance.

If you have a choice, why would you ever pick the Intel?

After testing, the conclusion is that the iPhone 7 hardware with the Qualcomm-powered modem has a significant cellular modem performance edge over the Intel variant.

As to why Apple has sourced two baseband suppliers after years of using Qualcomm hardware exclusively, it likely has much to do with broadening its supply chain. In this case, however, it looks like supply chain diversification has resulted in a measurable performance difference between the two models in a lab-controlled environment.

Of course, controlled tests differ from real world usage and scenarios, but these findings are nonetheless interesting. I tend not to read too much into this data, because Apple has no-doubt tested both models, and found that each performed satisfactorily in real world usage.

Also worth noting is that the iPhone 7 with the Qualcomm modem is only being sold in China, Japan and in the United States, which means that Apple deemed the Intel version to be good enough for every other territory.

That said, if you’re buying an iPhone 7 for full price in one of the aforementioned territories, then I highly recommend going with the Verizon/Sprint/SIM-free version. Not only does this version seem to perform better from a cellular modem perspective, but it’s also capable of working with most cellular carriers in the US and abroad.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
With all the threads about the iPhone X being shipped with tracking numbers, are those who ordered through BestBuy a little concerned that yours won't get here by Friday the 3rd according to your confirmation/order number?

Eh, I got the email on Sat. morning. It did claim "it will be in store, or delivery for Nov 3" but I find that absolutely complete bull. MAYBE some larger locations might get 1 or 2...still suspect it will be 99.9999% impossible to just walk in on Friday and pick one up

PLUS these guys want to charge $100 bucks more for the X...like they did with 8/8 Plus. You can't price match online from past experiences...you must show up and show an associate the cheaper price from other sites, THEY look it up also..verify and will give that cheaper price. I try not to ever pay BB prices, if I find it online at Amazon, NewEgg, other sites cheaper...heck even 5-10 bucks cheaper. I'll show Best Buy and they honor that.

My 2 cents about Best Buy.
wON3Zia.png

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
No, if you selected "Verizon" you are getting the Qualcomm modem. If you selected AT&T you are getting the Intel modem.

The "verizon" version will work fine with AT&T but you need to just put the AT&T sim card in. Some report that you should not even turn it on before putting the AT&T sim in, which will be my plan.
Best Buy didn't provide an option to select a carrier when paying full price?

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Best Buy didn't provide an option to select a carrier when paying full price?

Hmm I thought I clicked verizon before buying, could be wrong. If you didnt pick I would assume it defaults to the Qualcomm version that works with any provider.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Hmm I thought I clicked verizon before buying, could be wrong. If you didnt pick I would assume it defaults to the Qualcomm version that works with any provider.
I know I did as well, but as soon as you selected the full price option it greyed out the selection for the carrier.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
I know I did as well, but as soon as you selected the full price option it greyed out the selection for the carrier.

Should be Qualcomm then

edit: I just checked my pre-order, and the item it links to does not specify carrier. If you scroll down to features though, it says CDMA, which is the qualcomm modem

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
So there’s a lot of incorrectness here. First of all, Best Buy does charge $100 more if you pay full price for the phone, but this is not new, nor is it specific to the iPhone. Also, you can price match it within the return period, and if you get it on an installment plan, you’re not paying the $100 extra. You’re paying the same price as everywhere else (unless whichever phone your buying is on sale that week, in which case you’d pay less).

Secondly, Best Buy sells Universal Carrier Devices, which means Best Buy receives from Apple and sells to customers the same model of iPhone no matter which carrier you intend to activate it on. This would mean that it is the model with the Qualcomm modem, even if you purchase it on AT&T. The only time you would get an iPhone with an Intel modem is if you purchase your phone from AT&T or T-Mobile or from Apple for one of those carriers. Keep in mind that this is different than an unlocked phone. These phones will lock to the first carrier they’re activated on (with the exception of Verizon, which never locks their phones).

As far as inaccurate shipping estimates, this is largely because Apple does not tell Best Buy in advance how many iPhones they will be getting, and Best Buy doesn’t find out until after orders have been placed. You could argue that Best Buy should be more conservative with their shipping estimates, but either way it would be very difficult for them to be 100% accurate until they know exactly how many phones they’re getting for launch.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
So there’s a lot of incorrectness here. First of all, Best Buy does charge $100 more if you pay full price for the phone, but this is not new, nor is it specific to the iPhone. Also, you can price match it within the return period, and if you get it on an installment plan, you’re not paying the $100 extra. You’re paying the same price as everywhere else (unless whichever phone your buying is on sale that week, in which case you’d pay less).

Secondly, Best Buy sells Universal Carrier Devices, which means Best Buy receives from Apple and sells to customers the same model of iPhone no matter which carrier you intend to activate it on. This would mean that it is the model with the Qualcomm modem, even if you purchase it on AT&T. The only time you would get an iPhone with an Intel modem is if you purchase your phone from AT&T or T-Mobile or from Apple for one of those carriers. Keep in mind that this is different than an unlocked phone. These phones will lock to the first carrier they’re activated on (with the exception of Verizon, which never locks their phones).

As far as inaccurate shipping estimates, this is largely because Apple does not tell Best Buy in advance how many iPhones they will be getting, and Best Buy doesn’t find out until after orders have been placed. You could argue that Best Buy should be more conservative with their shipping estimates, but either way it would be very difficult for them to be 100% accurate until they know exactly how many phones they’re getting for launch.

good post, thanks.

Will my iphone 6 att sim be plug and play, and I just pop it into the X and Im good to go?

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014

I think this further confirms that I should find a Verizon SIM to activate my new iPhone X with to keep it unlocked before I put in my AT&T sim. Thanks.

Two Stacks

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
New Orleans
all you have to do is sign the installment billing agreement, and do a voluntary down payment. you can pay all but $25 of the money.

then when your bill comes, pay that remaining $25. but for some, that's too much work. people need to realize APPLE regulates what Best Buy is allowed to do with their products. one wrong move and a store gets all of its apple inventory pulled. for good.

freejack

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
If I use a vz sim to activate the phone, I'd still be able to use it on gsm networks correct? I know the answer is probably yes but just want to make sure. Thanks.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Do they advertise that their phones are carrier independent? I thought they charge more because you can buy a phone without the carrier check.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Does anyone has update processing yet ????? when they update status ????

mine keep same green line processing >>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.