Better Call Saul (AMC - Potential Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Feb 9, 2015.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Obviously expectations are high for the lasted Vince Gilligan effort. So far, so good.

There are SPOILERS in this discussion

[​IMG]

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I just talked you down from a death sentence to 6 months probation. I'm the best lawyer ever.

It's off to a helluva start.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

It looked to be worth checking out the second episode but it was up against NCIS LA.

4. dec. Suspended

dec.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised. It was great how they managed to tie in some of the Breaking Bad world (part of it was in the preview for next episode) while focussing on the main character. This show has a huge potential.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I liked that, too. It dips just enough into BB's world to make it familiar, but it's still its own thing. Saul's story is a much different one than Walt's was, and the show goes out of its way to make it feel that way.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

I see Saul and I envision the Breaking Bad theme. I wonder what the music will really be like.

7. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. I must be a simpleton, but I laugh every time Saul and Mike argue over parking.

This show has real potential.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The first two episodes are sitting on my DVR at present. I'm excited, but skeptical at the same time.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, I'll check it out. I see no episodes on AMC On Demand, although there is a folder with a 4 min trailer. Hopefully AMC will be reshowing mass repeats for catch up purposes. Two episodes aired to date?

10. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes. Only two. Honestly, just set your DVR to tape the show and for a couple of days program it to tape reruns. You'll catch it.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

From what I remember AMC is repeating those episodes a lot this week so you should have a chance to catch them or DVR them if you do that sort of thing.

12. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This. They do that with all their terrible shows, too.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks, DVR is setup and ready to scoop. :)

14. Roller macrumors 68020

Warning: spoilers ahead

I enjoyed the first two episodes, especially after I accepted that this isn't Breaking Bad - it's different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. However, I thought that the scene in the desert was a bit unrealistic in the way that Tuco and his cronies were willing to negotiate with James/Saul over what to do to the two skateboarders. I felt like they played it a bit more for laughs than was appropriate. It's also going to be interesting to see what they do with Chuck McGill. As long as he's housebound, his interactions will be limited. But these are minor points, and I'm very pleased so far.

AMC ran the finale of Breaking Bad last night, too. I had seen it many times, but watched most of it again. I was reminded what a great show and episode it was. From the laser pointer scam to the ricin in Lydia's coffee to Walt's last conversation with Skyler to the last shot of Walt on the ground with Baby Blue playing... amazing stuff.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

More spoilers

I'm always skeptical of sequels, origin stories, and the like. But Vince Gilligan and his crew have (so far) proved me wrong.

I think they've kept almost exactly the perfect balance with the new show. I love the hints of the future: Is Jimmy McGill's office in the same Korean nail salon that Saul Goodman later tries to get Jesse Pinkman to invest in? And who knew that Tuco Salamanca's respect for his elders was not just directed at Hector?

The pace of the show is just right too. As I noted, there are a lot of treats for the Breaking Bad fan, but someone new could wander into this show and still find it entertaining.

Big questions: Obviously something big is going to happen with his brother's law firm. And somehow I think the county treasurer's embezzled mil' and half is going to show up again.

AMC made the first episode free to download from iTunes. While you're there - also check out the music video featuring country music great Junior Brown (who first worked with Vince Gilligan on an episode of the X Files) and a TV jingle for the future/idealized Saul's legal practice. Also free to download, at least this week.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The first night after I had set up the DVR to record this show, it caught the first two episodes. :)

17. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

18. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I've seen all of the episodes thus far. Good show! I like the prduction quality and the way the show is shot and structured. You can tell that there are some Breaking Bad influences in that regard. But yeah, so far so good!

19. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

wow!

each episode is over way to quick!

all caught up for now as well....

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Spoilers

The episode from March 2nd made me laugh, the guy wanting to secede with his own printed money, the kiddy toilet "you're so big"; "give it to me."!:)

21. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

22. malman89 macrumors 68000

I kind of agree with the AV Club review of this week's episode - great episode if you're a Breaking Bad fan, just okay if not.

I've definitely enjoyed the show so far. Looking forward to see where things go.

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Good episode. 'Did the Mayor not have enough stickers?' :p

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't know if I totally agree with that. I can assume that you, I, and the reviewer have seen Breaking Bad, so we probably would resonate deeper with us because we know who Mike Ehrmantraut is.

But the way I see it, the episode was so well acted, so well shot, so well written, anyone could enjoy it. Yeah, it does lean a little heavily on some cliches, but that doesn't make it bad by default. To quote something Roger Ebert said that I totally agree with, it's not what it's about, it's how it's about it.

And this was how it was about it pretty damn good.

"You know what happened. The question is: Can you live with it?"

:cut to credits:

25. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

AGREED! I love it. best one yet, imho.