Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing throttling after updating to iOS 14.5.1?

• Yes, I am!

• Nope, performance is the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.

apmos

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
iphone 12 here. Scores are extremely low. Did a hard reset, not fixed. Updated to 14.6b2, not fixed. Tried hard reset on 14.6b2 and finally it is fixed. Scores are back to normal.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I updated before I saw this thread. My 11 is noticeably slower. I restarted and none of my widgets would display information.

Edit: it takes a good 2 to 3 mins for my widgets to "come online" for information. What the frig apple? I thought you were supposed to be the company of stability.

Last edited:

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
What the hell is going on?

Before Hard reset:
575EE083-0DC4-45BA-8DCF-7826C6C1DC00.jpeg

After Hard Reset:
B27F36BE-6C24-4808-9793-AC1E07FC8B00.jpeg

I have less than half multi-core performance now...

Both on iOS 14.5.1

• Sad
Reactions: robotica

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Yeah the hard reset thing does nothing for my 7 either. It’s really bad for the fist several minutes after booting, genuinely unusable. After that it’s just bad.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'll try factory resetting the phone...
Thankfully I have a password manager now...I remember how long it used to take to do all the logins back in the day...

Reactions: robotica

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah the hard reset thing does nothing for my 7 either. It’s really bad for the fist several minutes after booting, genuinely unusable. After that it’s just bad.
Do you use Touch ID? I’ve noticed that after a cold boot I need to wait a little bit like until my cellular connects until I first punch in the passcode. If I punch in the passcode too quick the phone lags like crazy until I lock then unlock the phone then it’s fine and back up to full speed. It’s weird. I checked cpu dasher x and the phone is literally running at 400mhz if I type my passcode in too fast after the first boot. But then shoots back up after I lock and unlock the phone and it’s fine until the next reboot.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Do you use Touch ID? I’ve noticed that after a cold boot I need to wait a little bit like until my cellular connects until I first punch in the passcode. If I punch in the passcode too quick the phone lags like crazy until I lock then unlock the phone then it’s fine and back up to full speed. It’s weird. I checked cpu dasher x and the phone is literally running at 400mhz if I type my passcode in too fast after the first boot. But then shoots back up after I lock and unlock the phone and it’s fine until the next reboot.
It does not seem to make a difference in my case. This issue for me has just started with 14.5.1, was this an issue before? I do use Touch ID but I have not noticed that being as issue before. Just triple checked it and still extremely slow, even after waiting for it to connect to 4G and WiFi before putting in my passcode. :( good thing this is only my backup phone or I would be in a bad spot. Feeling quite bad for the other people who are use it full time. It’s still a great phone before this update.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
It does not seem to make a difference in my case. This issue for me has just started with 14.5.1, was this an issue before? I do use Touch ID but I have not noticed that being as issue before. Just triple checked it and still extremely slow, even after waiting for it to connect to 4G and WiFi before putting in my passcode. :( good thing this is only my backup phone or I would be in a bad spot. Feeling quite bad for the other people who are use it full time. It’s still a great phone before this update.
Does it at least return to full speed after a lock and unlock? Or just stays slow the whole time?

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Does it at least return to full speed after a lock and unlock? Or just stays slow the whole time?
It’s very very laggy for the first several minutes after booting and then returns to a usable state. Not back to how it was before the update though. I am sure it will get sorted next update, I hope so anyway.

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2021
Why does all of my iPhone start getting hot after being 2 years old? When they are new they never get hot doing basic tasks and then 1.5-2 years old they start getting hot and the battery life sucks. I’ve had this on a 5, 6S and now a Xs. Sounds like a software update to sell more phones.

Reactions: pippox0

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
IMG_8992.PNG

I don't remember thinking it was slow on any of the later 14.5 betas. I'm on 14.6 now. Looks good.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This post seems rather meaningless without the values pre-update…

See his attached screenshots. The 2nd one (after hard reset) he claims is "normal," so we can deduce that these were the numbers he was seeing pre-update and the 1st screenshot are the numbers he was getting after the update (but before doing a hard reset).

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I guess it comes down to how you use your phone. If you're a basic user who just uses it to be a phone, check emails, social media and things like that, you'll probably never know the difference. If you play games on it, then of course you'll know. For me, I don't do anything that pushes the phone.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
It’s very very laggy for the first several minutes after booting and then returns to a usable state. Not back to how it was before the update though. I am sure it will get sorted next update, I hope so anyway.
Weird. Mine is exactly the same as before the update unless I unlock the phone too fast with my passcode after a cold boot and then processor is stuck at 400mhz and phone is choppy and laggy indefinitely until a lock and unlock. After the unlock its back up to 2.3ghz like normal until the next cold boot. Weird bug.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
Yep, something not right here.
12 Pro Max.
it’s on 14.6 although I would guess that includes the fixes/bugs from 14.5.1 as well?
Result after reboot and all other apps closed.
as I’m on the beta I’ve logged a feedback report for it.

B64E76A9-19D2-4420-B803-813F30FBB028.jpeg

Last edited:

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
Battery life hasn’t been any good on 14.5 and 14.5.1, WTF is going on at apple these days, are they turning into the next Samsung. ?‍♂️

Getting 2 hours less battery life on my 12 pro max.
Hardly.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
No problem with throttling there. My 6 gen iPad, SE2 and ipad mini 5 has same performance as before 14.5.1.

My 6gen ipad is though getting a little bit hot when streaming Netflix / YouTube, but that’s about it.

shorestyle

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I've had some throttling but the biggest bug is calls dropping to 4G. Tried all the fixes but still doing it.

ravetta

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
Everybody reporting speeds after a reboot, listen. You need to wait at least 15 minutes to let the reboot process finish and optimise. I tested directly after the update and got a halved multicore score. I rebooted again, let it sit for 15 mins and tested again and my results were higher than before the update.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Everybody reporting speeds after a reboot, listen. You need to wait at least 15 minutes to let the reboot process finish and optimise. I tested directly after the update and got a halved multicore score. I rebooted again, let it sit for 15 mins and tested again and my results were higher than before the update.
Have you done more testing with repeated reboots to see if this 15 minute rule sticks?

I rebooted my phone a couple days after the 14.5.1 update and ran GB5 yesterday (a day after reboot) with horrible scores. I actually rebooted in the first place because my phone felt sluggish.

Regardless, the fact that we sometimes get halved performance depending on if we get lucky or not (or some other factors) means that something is wrong with the update.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.