Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The camera bump on the upcoming iPhone 14 Pro Max is expected to be the largest rear lens housing Apple has ever installed on its flagship smartphones, and a new photo offers a rare glimpse at just how prominent it is compared to Apple's predecessor device.

iphone-14-pro-max-camera-bump-compared-lipilipsi-16-9.jpg
iPhone 14 Pro Max dummy (left) vs iPhone 13 Pro Max

All iPhone 14 models are expected to see upgrades to the Ultra Wide camera on the rear of the device, but the iPhone Pro models could see significant improvements to the main wide-angle camera and updates to the telephoto lens.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the iPhone 14 Pro models will feature a 48-megapixel Wide camera, which would be a major improvement over the current 12-megapixel camera, as well as 8K video recording capabilities. The new camera is also likely to be capable of taking 12-megapixel shots through a process known as pixel-binning, which merges data from multiple smaller pixels on the camera's image sensor into one "super-pixel" for improved low-light sensitivity.

As the image above shows, this will force Apple to substantially increase the height of the rear camera housing on the Pro models. Sourced from Twitter user @lipilipsi and shared by Majin Bu, the side-on shot shows the larger camera bump ridge on an iPhone 14 Pro Max dummy unit compared to the rear camera system on an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

According to schematics leaked back in February, the camera bump on the iPhone 14 Pro Max will be 4.17mm thick, up from 3.60mm in the iPhone 13 Pro Max. The size of the camera bump is also expected to expand about 5 percent in each direction, going from the current width of 35.01mm to 36.73mm and height of 36.24mm to 38.21mm.

Whether the enormity of the camera housing is a worthwhile trade-off for enhanced photo capabilities will be something users will have to decide for themselves, but suffice to say that cases designed for the iPhone 13 models are unlikely to fit the iPhone 14 models because of the size increase.

After seeing lackluster sales of the iPhone 13 mini, Apple this year is set to focus on larger iPhone sizes, and we're expecting to see a 6.1-inch iPhone 14, a 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, a 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, and a 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 14 models at an event likely to be held in September 2022, if Apple follows previous launch timelines. For everything we know about the new lineup, be sure to check out our dedicated iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro rumor roundups.

Article Link: Bigger iPhone 14 Pro Max Camera Bump Shown Alongside iPhone 13 Pro Max

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the iPhone 14 Pro models will feature a 48-megapixel Wide camera...As the image above shows, this will force Apple to substantially increase the height of the rear camera housing on the Pro models

A higher-resolution sensor does not require a larger lens, so that's not the reason for the iPhone 14's rumored increased camera bump size. However, a bigger sensor does, so this means the new phones' sensors won't just have more resolution but will be physically larger as well.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
physics are physics - maybe with the telescopic lens it will be solved but for now this is what we have.

I do hope that the jump in pics quality will be very noticeable and we will get the biggest upgrade. Will be interesting how much storage these 48mpx will take

I was hoping Apple would eventually get rid of that camera bump, but it seems they're going the opposite direction. That the iPhone wobbles when put on a flat surface is the only blemish of an otherwise beautiful design.

Reactions: CK1Czar

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
How big is the iPhone 15 camera bump going to be with periscope next year :eek: at some point the weight shift to one corner of the phone must be noticeable right?

Last edited:
Reactions: miq

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
tbh I'd rather my iPhone 13 mini had a significantly worse camera and no bump. Remember the iPhone 4 where you could just lay your phone flat on a table, and take perfectly acceptable photos?
While I agree it’d be nice, I wish the 13 mini just had the telephoto lens instead of the ultrawide.

I temporarily switched away from my 13 mini to a 13 Pro for a few months. Everything I expected to hate about it, the size and weight, are as annoying as expected. But I do enjoy having that 3x optical zoom and the buttery smooth ProMotion display.

I’ll be switching back to the 13 mini and selling the Pro soon. I just know I’m going to miss this 3x and ProMotion. But what can you do? 🙁

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I wonder how the OS will work around the pill shaped sensor? The notch is ironically a better, more even placement to put things around, even though I'll be glad to see it go. Wonder what that means for the iPad/Mac lineup as they all seem to be transitioning to the notch still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.