Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
GPS would be great.

I've got my old classic plugged into the USB in the car, but would upgrade to a touch with GPS as that could do speed camera warnings.

simon the diver

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
you may laugh...

Man I want this media event to come already! :D

You may laugh but a good friend of mine emailed me on monday saying he was finally going to become an "i-Diot" and gave me the list of models available in Canada.

I emailed him back "FFS don't buy anything before Wednesday"

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Keyword of this article "analyst" = Disregard the article. Honestly, I'd rather read predictions of some users here than some analyst's. They have the same shot of guessing it and the user is most likely to be better informed.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I doubt they can make it even thinner and then add a 5 megapixel camera. I defiantly think this is fake.

Defiantly? Who or what are you defying?

----------

Keyword of this article "analyst" = Disregard the article. Honestly, I'd rather read predictions of some users here than some analyst's. They have the same shot of guessing it and the user is most likely to be better informed.

Yeah, because he was so far off the mark with the rMBP... except he wasn't.

Analyst means nothing, any more than "MacRumors poster" does. What counts is the individual person's track record for accuracy and his is good.

This "analysts don't know anything" meme, while more rare, is as moronic as the "Steve wouldn't have allowed this" meme.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Not interested.

Attachments

• Theseareallthe****sigive.jpg
    Theseareallthe****sigive.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 151

nateco

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006

True story:

Friend of mine got a 3gs and 3 year contract(canada) on the launch day of the iphone 4....had no idea there was a new one coming out.

this person was not a senior citizen.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
I gotta say the GPS is unlikely. The problem is that Apple has been getting the GPS antenna/chipset as a bundle deal in the 3G/4G cell chips, not in the Wi-Fi only board. To include GPS that means there has to have been a shift in that part chain which I haven't seen any news on by anyone. As much as I'd like to see true satellite based GPS show up in the Wi-Fi only versions of Apple products, I just can't believe its going to happen.

Likewise the "gamepad" cross-device compatibility just seems unlikely. If Apple wanted to throw in some generic drivers for bluetooth gamepads in the "typical" (2 joystick, 1-pad, 4 shoulder, 8 button) configuration they could easily overtake Nintendo as major handheld gaming system, in the course of a week.

I've used JoyPad over Wi-Fi and it kinda works, but it still comes down to the lack of physical button holds things back. The tactile really is important if you don't want to have to look at the controller from time to time.

What I will believe is some kind of greater remote control functionality. For example letting an iPad or iPod "type" to a Mac or control mouse movement. VNC/RDP/ARD are very popular control methods in the iTunes store, and it's something Apple really could/should have from the start.

I'm still waiting for them to be able to let an iOS device act as screen/input device for a headless MacMini or similar "home server" box.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Man, all they need to do is add an LTE model and I don't need a phone anymore.

*Is not sure if serious*

You do understand that a good chunk of the appeal of an iPod over an iPhone IS the lack of Data Plan charges. Putting LTE in would basically negate that.

You Europeans and your more diverse cell phone markets, making us Americans jelly of your carefree attitude toward data costs. :p

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I like the idea of new colors. But does the iPod touch need to be thinner? It is too thin as it is now. If you don't buy a case for it it will slip out if your hand.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
would be amusing if all the 'leaks' about the iPhone 5 were really the new iPod. :D

I mean the earphone plug is at the bottom...

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
What is the market for this?

I can understand a straight up iPod for just music/podcasts- but isn't the touch basically just the iPhone without the phone?

enjoy

Yes. That is the market. People who want an iPhone but don't want a $2000 contract (or kids whose parents don't want them to have a cell phone).

Not true.

I have a Blackberry but I wanted an MP3 player, and I hate using phones as MP3 players because I don't like wasting my phone's energy, so that's why I have an iPod Touch. I have friends that do the same and have iPhones.

The other month I went to New York and didn't bring my Blackberry, I was so angry because I couldn't communicate with any of my friends. But then I realized, with my iPod Touch and free WiFi all over New York (Starbucks, McDonalds) I could Facetime people, access the internet, send e-mails, iMessage, etc. I was so surprised how convenient it was.

Yes, it is an iPhone without the "phone", but you're wrong when you say people who buy the iPod Touch because they can't afford the iPhone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

lol i went to the Apple Store in London the other days and felt bad for all those people still buying iPods and iPhones. i actually whispered to some people that they should hold off til tmrw.

*Is not sure if serious*
You Europeans and your more diverse cell phone markets, making us Americans jelly of your carefree attitude toward data costs. :p

data plans actually arent that great in Europe, or at least here in Germany. It may be unlimited but they trottle you to 64kb/s after a certain amount, depending on your plan (which makes it basically unusable. takes minutes to load the FB wall). Most plans settle in around the 200-500mb range before they slow u down, with 1 GB - 5 GB being optional but very expensive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.