• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

152217-blackberry_desktop_500.png

In a blog post today, Research in Motion announced its plans for BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac, which will provide full-featured media and data syncing.
Here are some key features the initial release will include:

- Sync your iTunes® playlists, calendars, contacts, notes and tasks
- Add/Remove applications
- Update your device when new software becomes available
- Backup and restore your device data with such features like automatically scheduled backups and optional encryption (security is #1 as always…)
- Manage multiple devices
BlackBerry Desktop Manager will be available in September, and will require OS X 10.5.5 or later. Users are encouraged to sign up for updates at BlackBerry's Mac page to be notified when the application becomes available.

Article Link: BlackBerry Desktop Manager Coming to Mac

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Palm should take note (granted it would be nice if everything could sync with iTunes, but you know Apple's not going to have any of that).

Comment

Moles

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Olathe
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Finally I will be able to actually sync my bb with my mac....

Comment

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
No, Palm shouldn't take note of this.

OTA sync of data is the best way to sync contacts, calendars and communications.

The problem with Palm's approach to iTunes sync is that they used USB id codes that apple pay a lot of money for. They can still create an app to ensure the Pre can sync your media nicely, but for progression's sake, all other data should be over the air. RIMs approach to email, imho, is flawed.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
this can only be a good thing for customers, but I'm a little surprised RIM thought it was worth the time. I can't imagine mac users are a terribly big part of their customer base... though I've been known to be wrong on rare occasion. ;)

Comment

sternfalter

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19)

QCassidy352 said:
this can only be a good thing for customers, but I'm a little surprised RIM thought it was worth the time. I can't imagine mac users are a terribly big part of their customer base... though I've been known to be wrong on rare occasion. ;)

Yep...you are wrong.

Comment

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
For years Mac users have had to put up with Pocket Mac or Missing Sync, when it comes to synchronizing a Blackberry.

Both programs are awful in my opinion.

Congratulations on RIM making their own software to sync with a Mac.

Lets hope it's reliable.

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
It's about damn time. When I was first getting a smartphone instead of a Palm PDA and a cell phone, I thought for a nanosecond about switching from the Palm platform to a blackberry, but the lack of native syncing turned me off completely. Now those with a Mac can choose between Apple, Palm and RIM without losing a vital attribute.

(yes, I know 3rd party solutions are available, but they all seem to lack something, IMO.)

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yep...you are wrong.

You don't know any more than I do. At best, you have anecdotal evidence, which is all I have. I just think the majority of mac-owning smartphone buyers would look at an iphone (or even a Pre, which strikes me as kind of mac-like in its appearance and ease of operation) over a bb.

Comment

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Perfect. I was planning on getting the Tour in a month when I can upgrade anyway. This is just more good news.

Comment

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Too little, too late...

I had a BB 7100t for nearly 5 years and ditched it last month for an iPhone 3GS. I couldn't be happier with the syncing between my iPhone and my MBP and MP and MobileMe.

Comment

iTone

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
CA
I had a BB 7100t for nearly 5 years and ditched it last month for an iPhone 3GS. I couldn't be happier with the syncing between my iPhone and my MBP and MP and MobileMe.

I agree, it's a little too late.

I had a Bold for a week and i returned it simply because it wouldn't sync with Mac. Now i have a 3GS. You fail Blackberry!

Comment

avionicsman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Canuck Land!!
This is good news!!

both the wife and I have 8130's and being able to sync with the mac even using missing sync was a pain-in-the-ass. Lets hope RIM gets it right the first time.

Comment

OddyOh

Contributor
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
sweet, long overdo

Been using a BB Pearl 8130 since Sept 08...Pocketmac is pure, system-hosing, garbage. Missing Sync is expensive, and nigh impossible to set up properly, although I do have it stable now...for how long is anyone's guess. God help you if you create a new contact on your BB though and try to sync it back. I just use my iPod Touch for Contacts now.

So yeah, count me in for this. Hopefully I can install software updates for my BB from the Mac, instead of Boot Camp...it's as lame as it sounds.

I would have just got an iPhone, but Canada is a whole different Apple when it comes to telecommunications...too much government, not nearly enough competition. But let's leave it there for now. :)

Comment

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I second the motion that everyone has said: Finally...

I though that when I got my Storm that it was just gonna be a hold over till I could get an iPhone.... I felt.... almost.... disappointed when I was playing with a 3GS today...

ANYWHO, I digress.....

Finally...... I <3 RIM....

Comment

King James

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
I have a BB until either the iphone comes to verizon or maybe the htc hero, so glad this is coming out soon

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's about damn time. When I was first getting a smartphone instead of a Palm PDA and a cell phone, I thought for a nanosecond about switching from the Palm platform to a blackberry, but the lack of native syncing turned me off completely. Now those with a Mac can choose between Apple, Palm and RIM without losing a vital attribute.

(yes, I know 3rd party solutions are available, but they all seem to lack something, IMO.)

This is true, and the sad part is that they seemed to never know that syncing is what users really wanted next to ease of use. The Palm PDA was the way to go merely because it synced with iCal and Address Book.

Any other smartphone on the market would benefit from either native or 3rd party app syncing with Macs. I hope Palm works their situation with Apple out, or at least provides a third party app that does sync with those core productivity apps.... preferably, a system preferences pane, as opposed to a dedicated app.

Comment

mbpnewbie

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Wow, this is so welcome. I've been a blackberry user on and off(off was because I broke the phones on different occasions and had to use a razr) for a little over 2 years... in that time, I had the original curve when it first came out, the 8310, another 8310, and finally my 8900. The only thing that stopped me from *FULLY* loving my mac was the lack of bb desktop manager for mac. My world is now at peace. And WTF is this tour? Looks like a dumbed down curve with a bold keypad for CDMA networks... Is this basically it?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.