Blackberry Storm? Anyone seriously considering it???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Edge171, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Edge171 macrumors member

Comes out Nov 21st. I love my iphone but it has SMS, Video, and copy and paste. I heard the screen is alittle akward. I am sticking with the iphone. Just please give us MMS!!!!!!!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Not a chance. Being a former blackberry owner x 2, for what I use it for the iPhone is ths one. I love the seamless factor with my Mac also. Blackberry was a pain in the :eek::eek::eek: to sync with my mac. Had to finally do it through boot camp.

4. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm being assigned one for my work phone. I'll just use it for work email and tethering, but it'll be cool to play around with it at no cost to myself. :)

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Very happy with my BB Curve but will seriously consider the next iPhone revision when I upgrade in the summer, I think by then it will be a good phone ;)

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For those considering it my advice is to always get a hands-on demo. Specifically in regards to the screen's touch sensitivity, accuracy, responsiveness, and multi-touch abilities.

Not all touch screens are created equal, as some people have started to find out on some of these "iPhone killers."

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Just released this morning:

Blackberry Storm will be released on Nov.21 for $250 - $50 mail-in rebate = $200.

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/081113/3_329649_id.html?.v=1

I already own an iPhone3G and I plan on keeping it. I will, however, be interested in demo-ing the Storm to see "what it's all about." There are many things the iPhone can do that the Storm cannot do, and vice versa. Both phones have things the other does not have. We'll know much better once it is actually available. I plan on keeping my iPhone3G though.

9. Keva161 macrumors member

I've played around eith it here at work and urgh its horrible. The whole screen is one big clickable button.

10. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

FYI --- Blackberry now offers PocketMac for syncing iCal, iPhoto etc.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Seen it on the Verizon commercial on TV, and don't really see the need to consider switching. Unless the click feature of the screen is REALLY responsive, or it's not required for typing, I can see it being a real problem once you try to get to a certain typing speed. And how is multitouch dealt with? Or is it?

Also, what were they thinking with the vertical keyboard layout? Having one key stand-in for two letters across the whole keyboard is maybe acceptable when you're space-limited on physical keys, but completely unnecessary on a virtual keyboard.

Aside from this, it seems like a sharp device. But I wouldn't switch to it. No need.

12. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

What is so bad about it ???

13. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

No Wi-Fi

This is one important feature really lacking on the Storm --- NO WI-FI --- only 3G.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, all the early reviews said the clickable screen worked very nicely.

It makes huge sense for a touchscreen. Just sliding your finger won't accidentally click a button or make a choice. You have to lightly press to do so.

Not to mention that Apple has gone the same way (clickable touch) with their new laptop trackpads.

15. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i have a touch and lots of friends with iphones. they're awesome.
    i recently got the g1 and i love it. i'd go as far as saying it's as good as the iphone.
    now it's time to convince my verizon buddy to jump head first into the storm.

i think it will be a great phone. probably not as good as either the g1 or the iphone, but it will definitely be better then the crappy lg touch screens verizon currently sells.

16. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Let's not forget that apple has done away with a clickable mouse button on all their new laptops and turned the touchpad into an entire button. Don't down it unless you try it. Looks like Apple and RIM both think this it what people want. I think it's very unique of RIM to try it on a phone.

They have been doing this for for years. The pearl, which is one of their most popular phones does this. They have their suretype software on it that can predict what you are going to type. Last I checked, Apple does predictive error checking too. This is RIM's way of maximizing button size on narrow phones that can't really support a full keyboard. I've typed on a pearl and think it works pretty well. I hate the super tiny keys on the iPhone. Makes it hard to type when you factor in that it's also a virtual keyboard. Unlike Apple though, in emails and texts, if you wish to have a full keyboard, you just turn in sideways. Something that people on this forum have been begging for since day 1 last year and are still waiting.

Not sure why you guys are quick to down something you have never used, but applaud Apple when they are doing the same thing.

17. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Just more crap I need to download to make it work like the apple products already do :)

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I agree, this is absolutely the next logical thing that Apple will do on the iPhone as it will solve a few problems for them and also make typing and data entry easier on the device.

RIM are not idiots and put a lot of thought into the click-touch screen on the new Storm. All of the initial reviews of the use of it for input are extremely positive.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not considering the Storm. Would like to see it in person, but thats about it.

20. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

We sync our iPhones via iTunes. The BB syncs via PocketMac. It is pretty simply actually and not that big of a deal. :)

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm considering it because i'm on a family plan and the 'rents don't want to switch. Besides the ipod, wifi and app store. ( i don't really MMS/take video with my phone) I don't see a difference in terms of features. I guess the most important thing for me is the web browser, email and of course the phone part. I love my pearl but much rather have an iphone.
    ATT and verizon are equal in terms of service. (long Island) If given the option of the the two phones and both were on the table and i just had to pick one i would grab the iphone in a heartbeat. I guess maybe i'll buy an ipod touch. When do you think the ipod touch will get a bump in size? (60 gig)

22. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm considering it.

I'm seriously thinking about it. I've had verizon forever and don't really want to switch to AT&T. Verizon coverage is the best.

I will try it out when it gets released.

Nuc

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    No, I'm definitely not switching. I like my iphone too much.

That's not to say that the storm might be just as good as the iphone, just not worth switching over. I think the clickable touchscreen could go either way. I could see them as being slightly annoying at times, but they could also be the solution to all touchscreen problems.

I foresee it as beeing the closest competitor to the iphone

I definitely would like to play with one for a bit, but i'm living out my 3g contract to the end. then I'll get the latest iphone! :)

24. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

No its just a fade like the Android or that one verizon had that I dont even remember Apple has a silver lining to its name that blackberry will never achieve!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns