Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KeithPratt, Apr 16, 2012.

1. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

This camera seems to be the one we all been asking for. You can shoot in raw and prores and keep FCP X metadata its great! I hope you can use Micro Four Thirds lenses on it.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What's most surprising, IMO, is the camera also comes with their DaVinci Resolve color grading software (normally $999) and their Ultra Scope software (don't know price off hand).

Two years ago DaVinici systems started at like $250k and now the software is bundle in w/a $3k camera purchase.

Unreal.

Lethal

4. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

Blackmagic are fantastic, it has to be said. Every time they release a new product, it's a real surprise, and it's always a top quality product. I get the same kind of nerd excitement when Blackmagic release stuff these days that i used to get when Apple released new Mac products when Steve Jobs first returned.

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

It's just going to make the camera "look" even better both onscreen and on the price point.

Can someone help me understand this camera vs a 5diii ?

I am shooting web videos, action shorts and documentaries.

6. simsaladimbamba

It shoots with a higher dynamic range (13 stops) and can store its video in three different, less compressed format (DNxHD, ProRes, DNG Raw), which makes for greater variability when colour grading.

7. KeithPratt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking at the specs, that is an odd sensor size. It's between Super16 and Micro 4/3. Seems to be an EF mount (they mention ZF lenses, but I'm guessing they mean Zeiss ZE). That doesn't leave a great deal of choice for wide angles...

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Blackmagic makes solid hardware, and the camera stats look awesome for the price.

That being said, it's the first camera they've ever made. We'll have to see how the image actually looks.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I hope you can use Micro Four Thirds lenses I just spent a good chunk of change on a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm 0.95 lens.

10. madisontheory macrumors newbie

A write-up, including Vimeo footage, is available here

11. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

so... I was just about to pull the trigger on a 5diii.
    it sounds like this will be way better, especially with the software included.

12. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, if it can keep up to its tech specs, it will be far better than the 5D Mark III, but know, that the files will also be much bigger, thus you need bigger/more HDDs for backups.

A recent project I shot on the 5D amounted to 38 GB of video footage, once it was transcoded properly, it was 220 GB.
    38 GB are easier to store and transcode from again, if one needs to, 220 GB are quite a lot to store, but then again, after seeing the compression and inability to properly colour correct with the H.264 recorded footage, since a lot of information is gone, I would take the hit in storage capacity more than twice (38 GB becoming 500 GB or so).

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I always convert all my footage to Pro Res anyway and back it up on cheap 5400rpm drives.

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Extremely nice looking. I'm in the market for a new camera, and I'll be watching this camera closely to see if it becomes my next tool. I already use a RAW workflow for time lapse projects, so this would be terrific for me.

15. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

which one?

So can I get some feedback on this vs the 5diii?

16. simsaladimbamba, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Since there have been no real life test results published yet, they cannot be a proper comparison yet.
    I guess you already have looked at the specs, articles and videos?

From the specs alone, except the sensor size compared to the 5D, the BCC seems to be quite good. Just the storing of its footage in UncompressedRAW format alone puts the BCC ahead of the 5D.
    5 MB per frame vs. 6.25 MB/s is quite an improvement. And the 5D does not even store every frame.

17. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I personally wouldn't even consider the 5D Mark III since you can get a much better camera (for video not stills) with the $599 Lumix Gh2 and hack it

The 5D MIII was purposely crippled for video so Canon could up sell you to there much more expensive C300, C500, and 1DC cameras. All of Canons stuff is really overpriced.

I'd say get a Gh2 if you need to shoot now. But if you can wait get the Black Magic Cinema Camera or the Digital Bolex.

18. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I realise that in the history of things the price has come down a lot but at the same time DaVinci Resolve Light is now free so technically you could have graded 1080p HD for free without the bundled software.

The mount is EF/ZF only but that's mainly because it's a budget camera and there is no point putting a PL mount on something like this when those lenses are so expensive.

With a Tokina 11-16, Rokinon 30mm and 50mm you should be sorted with a wide, standard and tele.

Low light isn't that great but that's due to the smaller sensor with noise creeping in in the shadows at ISO 800 and even some noticeable at ISO320.

The DR is killer though with some of the tests showing detail even in extreme highlights! Can't wait for some side by side tests to really show off the 13 stops versus the 10 stops of something like a 5d. Those extra 3 stops go a long way to adding to the production value IMO.

This may hopefully be the camera for me as an upgrade from my 600d, although I would still keep that for photo's. The size is great and it would probably if anything make my rig lighter and easier to use!

Not ripping off UK users is brilliant as well and the Sub £2k price point makes this a really interesting camera!

19. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt should be nice for offloading the camera. My only question now will be what kind of shutter it has in regards to rolling shutter problems in the footage.

Keep in mind that for DaVinci Resolve, even though the software is included you need a good/great machine to have it running at optimal speed...

Did anyone else notice that on the camera page they mention "DaVinci Resolve 9.0" ?

20. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

have you done this?
    is there a website or video that you reccomend?
    I forgot about this little guy.

21. mBox macrumors 68020

Its great time to be in this business ;)
    Even though its only 30fps, this camera looks promising :)

----------

Resolve runs pretty decent on my 2009 Uni MBP.
    HD of course not R3D full raster ;)
    Yes version 9 is out soon.
    Love the fact we get free upgrades :)

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Right. The full version gives you a great noise reducer, tracker, unlimited nodes, etc. so there is certainly still value in it even though the free Lite version is ridiculously powerful on its own.

Lethal

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

why does the ungraded still shot look so crappy? :confused:

24. simsaladimbamba

What does look so crappy about it?

We filmed our last series on the Alexa and the image was quite flat and looked dull, but once it got through Avid DS or any other colour grading software, it looked fantastic, albeit the actual plot was still rather dull.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's called shooting 'flat' and it's a way to preserve as much image information as possible (no blacks are crushed, no highlights are blown out and no colors are over saturated) so that you have the most latitude possible when color grading the footage.

Lethal