Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEFT ARROW

Suspended
Oct 31, 2018
Well, you are paying to play of course - there is a monthly fee for WoW :)

Hearthstone does have IAP that impacts play, because you purchase card packs and can luck into good cards. I guess that's more in the nature of that type of game though.

Diablo did I believe have a real-money auction house where you could buy better armor briefly in the past, but it was shut down fairly quickly I think.

True about paying to play due to the monthly fee :D

You are right about the real money auction house in Diablo - Correct me if I am mistaken, but I think they closed it down because they wanted players to experience the game instead of paying to get the best items and not "grinding" for gear. TBH - I was sad they got rid of it because when you grow older you are more limited with time and have other more pressing responsibilities so grinding for hours on a game just became unfeasible :eek:

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Yay! Time to have in game downloads - pay as you go! Only a matter of time! Activision has ruined Blizzard. This looks like exactly what they had years ago on the Mac/PC with crappier controls (referring to Diablo Immortal).

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
So many haters whining about IAP, even though nothing in the article mentioned IAP.

Frankly, the game play looks great. When Apple released the new iPad a few days ago, some critics talked about how comparisons in power between it and consoles didn't matter, since there weren't console-class games for the iPad... but this looks to have the potential to be one. Mark me as very excited about what this could mean about the future of mobile gaming!

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Michael Skarn roams the earth, looking for pieces of the shattered stone.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Beautiful! Simply gorgeous. The problem here is that this mobile Warcraft will cost even more money than WOW. You will have to pay a fortune to get satisfaction out of this game. This is the problem with the current state of gaming on iOS and I don't see it ever changing.

In fact console games are much more likely to move to this mobile model than mobile games are to be more console like. You can see it with 2K's VC, CoDs Supply Drops, GTA's shark cards/cash/whatever it's called and other virtual currency/goods in many more AAA titles.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Inorite?! If you know Blizzard, they love IAP (their in-game store for example). Blizzard isn't shy charging players $25 for a mount so this makes a lot of sense.

No one forces you to buy that mount. Blizzard is selling cosmetic and vanity items. They don't sell must have or power items.

MTX isn't going away.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Will it run on Ipad air 1 tho! (lol, don't want to upgrade just yet)

I doubt it. Probably targeted to A9/10 and newer. These sort of games never had very demanding requirements though so anything is possible but support for A7 devices is just less than a year away from ending at least officially. The will keep getting app updates as long as devs support iOS 12 or as long as it remains in Xcode.
[doublepost=1541197923][/doublepost]
If Warcraft III is coming back can someone also reboot Command and Conquer please?

Especially Red Alert!
[doublepost=1541198073][/doublepost]
That Warcraft 3 remaster is going to be hot! I wonder how it will run on new Mini if at all.

It definitely will. Desktop Intel GPUs are definitely strong enough to run this sort of game. They have much more trouble running FPS/3rd person action, etc. RTS and fighting games are OK.

Here you can see it can at least run 2016-2017 games. Not high res, high details but they can be played.
https://www.techcenturion.com/intel-uhd-graphics-630

Last edited:

Azeroth1

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I hope it fixes all the things broken between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 as well. Fan of both, played both for years, but Diablo 3 needs to die.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I still play Diablo 3 on PC today doing Seasons.

This game is rather uninteresting, and I'm a little disappointed. I don't have any interest in playing an action/slash game on a phone with the weird virtual HUD for controlling. But nonetheless, it's going to be a cash cow.

LEFT ARROW

Suspended
Oct 31, 2018
No one forces you to buy that mount. Blizzard is selling cosmetic and vanity items. They don't sell must have or power items.

MTX isn't going away.

They also sell tokens to use for other things such as subscription or vanity items.

You're right that they don't force you to buy the mount (they're pretty much ***** anyway :p) but Blizz's online store must be making money because they keep adding new things and Activision is all about the $$$ *shrug*

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
This was pretty disappointing... Diablo Immortal is a mobile-only game which is odd because their target audience is PC/Mac gamers. It looks like it could be fun but I've always hated gaming on smartphones... I did pre-register to see how it goes but generally speaking I wasn't able to enjoy many of the ARPG's I've tried on either iOS or Android... It's just not the same experience. I feel mobile is better for simple games..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.