Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I don't really want 'touch anywhere TouchID'. It would lead to the iPhone unlocking whenever you just picked it up to look at lockscreen notifications especially with the thin bezels.

Fortunate then that iPhones don't have thin bezels

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
I really can’t see them going backwards like this.
Except it’s not going backwards. Touchid was superior to FaceID in some use scenarios and I do miss it quite often.
[doublepost=1567688276][/doublepost]
Other phones have Face ID?
They have alternative technologies that provide the same functionality (for example iris scanner)

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
No, going backward would be what Apple did, where if people don't like or need Face ID, they have to go back to using a 4 or 6 digit passcode like it's 2008 again. Cool.
Or, you can choose to have no passcode at all! Not my preference, but it is one of the available options.

Most people seem (no, I can’t support this assertion!) to prefer having their iPhones and iPads locked, so it’s a matter of using a passcode linked to either Touch ID or Face ID at present. There are advantages to both forms of biometric ID. Each has some convenience the other can’t provide.

Having both sounds like the best of both worlds to me. YMMV, of course.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've not missed TouchID one little bit and can't imagine what circumstances I'd use it under if I had the option of both. I guess if I didn't an Apple Watch for contactless payments it might be slightly easier with TouchID than FaceID?

Reactions: Wide opeN

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I much prefer FaceID over TouchID not just for unlocking the phone but more so within apps which just authenticate via FaceID without even prompting to enter username/password. That is much more slicker than TouchID.

Solution:

One method to open, different authentication method for passwords/banking/etc.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Actually it's kind of the same technology: 3D Scan Face Unlock. For example.
Only Samsung used Iris for unlocking the phone, others use a 3D facial scanning system.

Interesting. I wonder whether this is the whole picture. Definitely sounds intimidating for Apple though, loosing one of their USPs.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Which is reasonable and also underlines why Face ID wasn’t a good replacement.
Can you explain that more? I think the swipe up is much more natural than placing your thumb in one specific spot. Face ID is fantastic in the winter when I am wearing gloves. Sounds like everyone gets what they want soon.

Reactions: the johnmc

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Remember when people on here were proclaiming that Touch ID was dead Apple had decided that Face ID was a better solution and everybody should just deal with it?

When in reality they didn't want to use Qualcomm tech and couldn't figure out how to do it themselves :D

Lol, I have endless quotes of people talking all that smack

Here some funny ones:
Touchid was great when it was released, it has now been superseded by faceId.

Oh this is a goodie:
Apple has declared TouchID to be dead.

They are endless. Apologists trying to make excuses around Apple falling behind in Biometrics, claiming FaceID is the be all and end all, when in fact it isn’t and Apple themselves at least know it!

Glad Apple have woken up!

And remember how all the Apple apologists claim that even Androids are going all I’m on FaceID and that Fingerprint Scanners are done.

Yet we saw Huawei with the Mate 20 Pro do both FaceID with the same Hardware as Apple AND In-Screen Fingerprint Scanner.

it’s a good laugh when you go back and see the nonsense they wrote.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
you mean like removing 3d touch and replacing it with a simple "hold"?

I don't see it as backwards, you do the same thing and get the same response only now it's handled in software not hardware meaning one less thing in the phone to go wrong.

My first iPhone X had to go back as 3D touch didn't work.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I hope that BOTH are required for authenticate! This mean a very very strong security for your device
or
I think the user will be able to choose among different options:
only TouchID active and required to unlock;
only FaceID active and required to unlock;
both FaceID and TouchID active and only one required to unlock;
both FaceID and TouchID active and both required to unlock.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
you mean like removing 3d touch and replacing it with a simple "hold"?

Wouldn't be surprised if that is being removed because it is hindering the implementation of in screen Touch ID.
[doublepost=1567689873][/doublepost]
You seriously think moving to FaceID from TouchID was falling behind? Quite the opposite, it was a massive leap forward in biometrics.

Apples Face ID tech is good, probably the best implementation of facial unlocking, but it being the only form of biometric authentication on the phone is inconvenient.

If it takes Apple until 2021 to get a phone on the market that has both that puts them behind some of the competition which are shipping phones with in screen fingerprint scanning now.

Last edited:

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I can’t think of a reason I’d want to replace my Face ID, especially if they improve the scanning angle. It’s both more secure and more convenient IMO.
It all depends on the users needs. I use my phone outside a lot in the winter when I am wearing gloves so I like Face ID. However, Face ID does not work with my super dark, reflective sunglasses or my helmet with a face shield. I am really looking forward to the best of both worlds (assuming this rumor is true). I hope Apple also gives us the option of enabling both at the same time for the ultimate security.

Reactions: 2580285

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You seriously think moving to FaceID from TouchID was falling behind? Quite the opposite, it was a massive leap forward in biometrics.

The 3D Facial mapping was the real highlight. Pretty impressive that over 30,000 dots are projected to map out the users face for the unlocking/identification. A lot of R&D went into Face ID, it’s not perfect, but neither was Touch ID, no biometric security ever will be.

Reactions: rodpascoe

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I like Face ID, but I do prefer Touch ID for apple pay.

That's the only instance where I thought Touch ID was better, but it's a moot point for me now that I use my Apple Watch to pay.

After using Face ID for almost two years now, I wholeheartedly disagree. I am seriously considering upgrading my iPad just to do away with Touch ID.

Do it! I was concerned Face ID wouldn't work as well when the iPad was horizontal and in my lap but my fears were unfounded. I absolutely love my 11 inch IPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.