Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Apple will be doing a full screen under the glass Touch ID. Plus Face ID.
Which phones have that?

Well given that it might not ship until 2021, who knows. There could be a host of devices offering it by then.

There are already devices on the market using secure in display, albeit not full screen (how useful is that anyway?), fingerprint readers.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple will be doing a full screen under the glass Touch ID. Plus Face ID.
Which phones have that?

Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Edition

Those phones use the same hardware technology as Face ID. The same dot projector and IR camera system. In fact, the dot projector sends more dots compared to Face ID.

Reactions: Tsepz

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I'm fine with touch ID on a home button... I still want a home button, and no notch, couldn't give a rip about "bezel-less". The size of the screen is the size of the screen. Also, too many gestures. Bring on the iPhone 9! (iPhone 8 form factor with updated internals please).

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
MarketWatch calculates the lifetime costs of owning an iPhone at $300,000. Now I am not saying a totally accurate figure but realistically a significant amount of ones budget shifting towards these devices. With all the built in technology, the costs to maintain these devices also on a rapid rise. Add the entertainment and its delivery costs, one has to wonder when will the breaking point be reached.

The consumers are starting to feel the pain. Will see how far Apple can push the prices.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I can’t think of a reason I’d want to replace my Face ID, especially if they improve the scanning angle. It’s both more secure and more convenient IMO.
And it comes with free headaches, yeah! :)

Everyone prefers different things. I for one hate FaceID and want TouchID to be back. Sensor under the display is perfect.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Edition

Those phones use the same hardware technology as Face ID. The same dot projector and IR camera system. In fact, the dot projector sends more dots compared to Face ID.
You forget that there is news that their Face ID is insecure. Here https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news...e-is-not-half-as-safe-as-face-id-5418121.html
https://www.androidpit.com/huawei-mate-20-pro-face-unlock-inaccurate
https://wccftech.com/huawei-mate-20-pro-face-unlock-tricked/
https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mate-20-pro-face-unlock-915881/

They simply don't put enough effort, not as much as Apple does.

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
Makes sense. Next year, there'll be enough new features to make people upgrade (new design, bezel shrinking, 5G...). So they are going to save the under display touch ID for 2021.

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Face ID and Touch ID each have their weaknesses, such as Face ID not working well when an iPhone is laying flat on a table, or Touch ID not playing friendly with wet fingers. With both systems, users would have the best of both worlds, using the authentication option that is better in a given situation.

And I hope we will get the option for both. Requiring to scan fingerprint /TouchID and face FaceID at the same time for added security, making it harder for someone to force open a device.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
The only thing I really miss on my iPad Pro is Touch ID.
Fail ID works maybe 1/10 times and even when it does, I still have to swipe the screen to open it.
A button that would both unlock and open the device in one go would be magical.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Can you explain that more? I think the swipe up is much more natural than placing your thumb in one specific spot. Face ID is fantastic in the winter when I am wearing gloves. Sounds like everyone gets what they want soon.

Assuming you wear touch input gloves in the winter, so you can use the phone in the cold, than the password unlock is far faster than face ID. If you are not wearing touch input gloves than unlocking your phone is a dead end since you can't do anything with it.

Reactions: Awesom-0

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple is so slow other phones already doing this
Clearly you didn't put your reading glasses on as many forget to do around here. No , no other phone currently has the ability to put your finger ANYWHERE on the screen to unlock as this report suggest Apple will be doing.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I hope that BOTH are required for authenticate! This mean a very very strong security for your device
or
I think the user will be able to choose among different options:
only TouchID active and required to unlock;
only FaceID active and required to unlock;
both FaceID and TouchID active and only one required to unlock;
both FaceID and TouchID active and both required to unlock.
Don't forget a passcode as well.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Assuming you wear touch input gloves in the winter, so you can use the phone in the cold, than the password unlock is far faster than face ID. If you are not wearing touch input gloves than unlocking your phone is a dead end since you can't do anything with it.

i disagree. it was a real pain pressing the home button while wearing touch gloves, since they changed the nature of the button on the 6s or 7(can't remember). face id does work much better in the winter. at least for me)

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Wow so will take another 2-3 years for Apple to do this?? Guess Ill just keep waiting with the X, it's not like the new phones offer anything much anyway.
[doublepost=1567694082][/doublepost]
MarketWatch calculates the lifetime costs of owning an iPhone at $300,000. Now I am not saying a totally accurate figure but realistically a significant amount of ones budget shifting towards these devices. With all the built in technology, the costs to maintain these devices also on a rapid rise. Add the entertainment and its delivery costs, one has to wonder when will the breaking point be reached.

The consumers are starting to feel the pain. Will see how far Apple can push the prices.

That figure is rediculous. Time to stop reading marketwatch if that's what they are publishing. They can say that about anything with how they wrote it (i.e. oh if you invested x dollars instead blah blah). How about clothing, you'd save i bet $10 million over the course of your life if you skipped clothing.

Last edited:

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Clearly you didn't put your reading glasses on as many forget to do around here. No , no other phone currently has the ability to put your finger ANYWHERE on the screen to unlock as this report suggest Apple will be doing.

They were also going to release a wireless charging mat that was better than anybody elses implementation, until they weren't ..

Believe in better when you see it.

Reactions: Awesom-0 and Tsepz

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
I don't see it as backwards, you do the same thing and get the same response only now it's handled in software not hardware meaning one less thing in the phone to go wrong.

My first iPhone X had to go back as 3D touch didn't work.
Except it’s not the same thing: 3D Touch was faster and software can never be as fast as the only way it can distinguish between a simple tap and a prolonged tap is that the latter is… prolonged.
[doublepost=1567694498][/doublepost]
Sounds expensive
Considering how much an iPhone costs they can afford it. Others can.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Actually that would explain the supposed removal of the pressure sensitive screen. Like on the recent Samsung S and Note phones, when they put the finger print sensor in the screen they had to remove the pressure sensitive onscreen home button. That was a very convenient feature to have.

Judging based on my experience with my Note 10+, the finger print sensor would be great to have. Sometimes having the face unlock is great, I use it a lot, but sometimes I want to unlock the phone without looking at it directly or without picking it up or something, and the finger print sensor is very convenient. Especially since I can unlock the phone without having to wake the screen first.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Except it’s not the same thing: 3D Touch was faster and software can never be as fast as the only way it can distinguish between a simple tap and a prolonged tap is that the latter is… prolonged.
[doublepost=1567694498][/doublepost]
Considering how much an iPhone costs they can afford it. Others can.

Youre forgetting no one other than nerds in this forum even knew force touch was avaiable. Heck, i turned it off on technically challenged users as when the menu popped up it confused them.

Reactions: Glyn H

WatchAndWait

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
No other phones have an equivalent to Face ID plus a Touch ID.
No other phone needs an "equivalent to Face ID plus a Touch ID" they choose their version of one or another (unless you're Apple and the rumours suggest you keep flip flopping between two different technologies)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.