Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to host a virtual event on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, and ahead of time, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has outlined his expectations for new product announcements both tomorrow and in the months to follow.

appleevent2020whattoexpect.jpg

Gurman, who has a very strong track record, reiterated that this Tuesday's event will be focused on the introduction of new Apple Watch Series 6 and iPad Air models, adding that Apple does not plan to introduce its rumored iPhone 12 lineup until October.

In line with rumors, the report claims that Apple Watch Series 6 models will come in the same 40mm and 44mm size options as Series 5 models, with the addition of blood oxygen (spO2) monitoring as the health features of the device continue to expand. A new lower-end Apple Watch model will also be announced at the event, according to Gurman.

Gurman also expects a new iPad Air model to be introduced with a similar all-screen design as the iPad Pro. As a mid-range device, the new iPad Air will apparently not feature Apple's latest A-series processor or a ProMotion display.

The report adds that the first Apple Silicon Macs with custom processors will be unveiled by November, in line with Apple's promise of an announcement by the end of the year. Apple's rumored over-ear headphones and AirTags item trackers could follow as soon as the end of this year, and a smaller HomePod also remains in the pipeline, according to Gurman.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Watch Series 6 With SpO2 Tracking and All-Screen iPad Air Coming at 'Time Flies' Event, Apple Silicon Macs by November

Last edited:
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
So....basically my iPad Air 3's screen and performance with a iPP 11" design, necessitating my having to purchase the $300 magic keyboard, or the $200 (or whatever it costs) keyboard folio since the smart keyboard and pencil I have for mine would like not work with it? No thanks for my use case.

The AW6? Yes, but not right away.

Reactions: otternonsense

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
So....basically my iPad Air 3's screen and performance with a iPP 11" design, necessitating my having to purchase the $300 magic keyboard, or the $200 (or whatever it costs) keyboard folio since the smart keyboard and pencil I have for mine would like not work with it? No thanks for my use case.

The AW6? Yes, but not right away.

Too bad they didn't just bump gen 3 iPad Pro 11" down to "Air" status and give us a new iPad Pro with juicy specs so I can have an excuse to upgrade back to the 12.9". I really miss my larger 2nd gen. I mean the new air seems to just be a budget iPad Pro 11 anyway.

Reactions: Jony Ive and Co.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Too bad they didn't just bump gen 3 iPad Pro 11" down to "Air" status and give us a new iPad Pro with juicy specs so I can have an excuse to upgrade back to the 12.9". I really miss my larger 2nd gen. I mean the new air seems to just be a budget iPad Pro 11 anyway.
Agreed. I had a 2017 12.9" iPP, but sold it because it was prone to the unresponsive display issue many have spoken about on these forums. Drove me nuts, sold it for the Air, which has been flawless. In general, I use my new MBA/MBP 16" far more and prefer them to the iPad these days, which I only use in bed.

Reactions: Jd3774life

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Why not 7 digital events?
I hope all those "leakers" are wrong and we will see iPhones.

You don’t need to be a leaker, you just need some common sense to understand why Apple won’t be launching iPhones at the upcoming event.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Hard sell if that iPad Air 4 has same or similar processor...unless price stays the same and RAM is increased.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
It’s probably just me, but there’s too much speculation and wild guesses this year. It’s almost taking the fun out of this. We will find out most everything we need to know tomorrow. I really hope Macrumors keeps tabs on all these leakers as far as accuracy is concerned.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I’m hoping we get a bigger surprise with the Apple Watch, IE a new case design. Or new materials. A blood oxygen sensor will make the S6 nice to have as a fitness device, but not really as something that warrants and upgrade for S4/S5.

Overall sounds like a pretty “meh” event though if this is really all there is - a spec bump AW, a lesser iPad Pro, and subscription service bundles...

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Apple Watch Series 5 Refurbished in the cart. Wait till tomorrow and see if the 6 is worth it. Don't need sp02 monitoring, just want the cellular capability.

What happened to the Diabetes functionality that was supposed to be coming?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Why not 7 digital events?
I hope all those "leakers" are wrong and we will see iPhones.

But even if leakers are wrong, Apple itself said that iPhones are late. So even if they announce the new phones tomorrow, chances are you won't be able to order them for a few weeks.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.