Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It’s probably just me, but there’s too much speculation and wild guesses this year. It’s almost taking the fun out of this. We will find out most everything we need to know tomorrow. I really hope Macrumors keeps tabs on all these leakers as far as accuracy is concerned.
It’s not just you. Certainly a lot of attempted sniping and who reports it first bs. Makes me want to go back to ignoring anything I am not interested in (Which is most of Apple’s products & services.)

I do hope they announce Apple Silicon sooner though.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I am going to buying an Apple Watch this year. Remains to be seen if it is refurb 5 or new 6. Battery life vs. thickness vs. cost will determine which one.

Reactions: Greatness617

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It’s probably just me, but there’s too much speculation and wild guesses this year. It’s almost taking the fun out of this. We will find out most everything we need to know tomorrow. I really hope Macrumors keeps tabs on all these leakers as far as accuracy is concerned.

If you take out Prosser and his obvious wild goose chase predictions like 120Hz, it’s been a pretty typical year in terms of leaks. Every year, some people claim Apple has tightened security, but it’s simply impossible to do so as long as Apple relies on third party suppliers.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I hope there's more to the AW6 than that. The AW5 was already an anaemic update, other than the always-on screen component it was exactly the same as the AW4. Come on Apple.

As for the iPad "Air", I was never convinced by this stopgap "watered down Pro from 2 years ago" category between the vanilla budget iPad and the Pro. It's just SKU bloat. I'd much rather they modernised the budget iPad and iPad mini, then give it all for a fantastic iPad Pro experience.

Last edited:

kelemor88

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Ohio
I hope there's more to the AW6 than that. The AW5 was already an anaemic update, other than the always-on screen component it was exactly the same as the AW4. Come on Apple.

As for the iPad "Air", I was never convinced by this stopgap "watered down Pro from 2 years ago" category between the vanilla budget iPad and the Pro. It's just SKU bloat. I'd much rather they modernised the budget iPad and iPad mini, then give it all for a fantastic iPad Pro experience.
Thought there was the rumor of fast charging as well.
02 monitoring will be great. For working out and early COVID awareness

Reactions: orbital~debris

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
the new iPad Air will apparently not feature Apple's latest A-series processor
Not looking good. This basically means no chip improvements at all. The current Air is already on A12, cant be A12X/Z cuz that would cannabalize the Pros, no A13 cuz the average consumer would be confused about A13 and A12X/Z. This leaves the current same old A12.

Really, Apple is slacking off again. The didnt bump the chip for iPad 7 (still A10), and if they do the same for Air, then it's stagnation at its best. Apple should have made A13X for the iPad Pros released in March 2020, so as to give themselves room to upgrade the chips in other ipads

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
A well-trained monkey could figure-out the key dates this year:

Tues, Oct 13th: iPhone 12 family Announced

Fri, Oct 23rd: iPhone 12 family Released

Thurs, Oct 29th: AAPL's 4Q20 Earnings Release

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Based on what Withings have done with SpO2 we could be in for a treat:

"Breathing disturbances detection

When activated, the Respiratory Scan can detect breathing disturbances via blood oxygen saturation levels, heart rate, breathing frequency and movement."

"Medical grade oxygen saturation

Provides on demand medical-grade oxygen saturation level (SpO2) in just 30 seconds."

Source: https://www.withings.com/uk/en/scanwatch/shop

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Thought there was the rumor of fast charging as well.
02 monitoring will be great. For working out and early COVID awareness

These are both good but still more like 'S' level updates. After 2 years and considering the mad success of the Watch, I'd really hope for something more.
[automerge]1600089248[/automerge]

When activated, the Respiratory Scan can detect breathing disturbances via blood oxygen saturation levels, heart rate, breathing frequency and movement."

Provides on demand medical-grade oxygen saturation level (SpO2) in just 30 seconds."

Support for which rolling out in your country about 7 months after launch ;)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Not looking good. This basically means no chip improvements at all. The current Air is already on A12, cant be A12X/Z cuz that would cannabalize the Pros, no A13 cuz the average consumer would be confused about A13 and A12X/Z. This leaves the current same old A12.

Really, Apple is slacking off again. The didnt bump the chip for iPad 7 (still A10), and if they do the same for Air, then it's stagnation at its best. Apple should have made A13X for the iPad Pros released in March 2020, so as to give themselves room to upgrade the chips in other ipads

Well let’s just hope that they mean A14 being apples latest processor, and then the Air 4 might have the A13. If it does come with the A12 which is a very powerful chip anyway, then I’ll just keep my Air 3 for the time being.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

Yup, I'm excited by that watch. It actually looks good technically and aesthetically.

jonathanmendoza

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
The new Air will surely keep the same A12 chip. So a refurbished/used 2018 Pro with quad stereo speakers, ProMotion, A12X chip, better camera, etc would still be a better buy...

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Surely A13 for the Air saving the reveal of the A14/A14X for the iPhone / iPad Pro unveiling in October. Staying on A12 would be a slap in the face. A12X would be just about ok (but still a bit disappointing).

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Why not 7 digital events?
I hope all those "leakers" are wrong and we will see iPhones.

considering that those presentations are pre-recorded, it has actually been never easier. I am sure they recorded it all at once but will simply split it up into pieces. No press to invite etc. helps also

morganBH

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2017
Seattle Washington
Nice to be confirmed by bloomberg also that we can expect 3 digital events, tomorrow, the iphone event in October and the Mac event in November
Beautiful time to be alive and a tech enthusiast , but i expect some girl will disagree with me.
Exciting for sure. I’m still rocking the iPhone 6s, so the iPhone 12 announcement cannot come soon enough!

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
That's fine by me that this looks like another minor update. This is already going to be an expensive Apple year for me between a new iPhone 12 or 12 Pro, and a new Apple Watch as a gift for someone who really needs one (S1 bit the dust a few weeks ago). The S4 I got two years ago seems fairly modern, I don't want a reason to have to buy a new one. Apple Watch is too expensive for what it does to replace it more than once every 3-4 years. I rode out the original Apple Watch until it stopped getting updates, and I plan to do the same with the S4.

Agree 100%. I don't get the point of the three tiers. It is SKU bloat. They should slim down to two tiers: take the Air and make it the normal-tier iPad, then have the iPad Pro. The cheap iPad "for education" that keeps getting features like 1st gen Pencil support years late can be replaced by simply continuing to sell older models of the Air.

Reactions: calstanford

kelemor88

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Ohio
These are both good but still more like 'S' level updates. After 2 years and considering the mad success of the Watch, I'd really hope for something more.
[automerge]1600089248[/automerge]

Support for which rolling out in your country about 7 months after launch ;)

hell they fix how slow it takes to sync audio books and podcasts to the damn thing I’ll buy for just that.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
My sources told me about the ARM Macs release schedule back in July. This is my post from back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.