MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This year's Apple Watch Series 7 is likely to have thinner display bezels and use a new lamination technique that brings the display closer to the front cover, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

apple-watch-6s-202009.jpeg

From the report:
The Cupertino, California-based tech giant is planning to refresh the line this year -- with a model likely dubbed the Apple Watch Series 7 -- by adding a faster processor, improved wireless connectivity and an updated screen, according to people with knowledge of the plans.

For this year's model, Apple has tested thinner display borders and a new lamination technique that brings the display closer to the front cover. The new Watch is likely to be slightly thicker overall, but not in a way that's noticeable to the user.
The model will also include updated ultra-wideband functionality, the same underlying technology in Apple's AirTag item finder, according to Gurman, although additional biometric health sensors are likely to be pushed back to a successor model.
Apple had previously aimed to put a body temperature sensor in this year's model, but that is now more likely to be included in the 2022 update. The blood-sugar sensor, which would help diabetics monitor their glucose levels, is unlikely to be ready for commercial launch for several more years.
Apple previewed its upcoming watchOS 8 software update at WWDC last week, demonstrating previously unseen features such as the ability for Apple Watch to unlock door and hotel rooms. It was not clear at the time which Apple Watch models these new features would be made for, but Gurman's report suggests they could be exclusive to the forthcoming Series 7.

Gurman previously reported that Apple is working on a more rugged "extreme sports" model of the Apple Watch and that it could launch as soon as this year. However, Gurman has now revised that expectation and says that it won't arrive until 2022 at the earliest. Apple is also said to be planning a revised model of the Apple Watch SE for launch next year, according to the report. Apple launched the latter model in 2020 as a more affordable alternative to the Series 6.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Watch Series 7 to Feature Thinner Screen Bezels, Faster Processor, and Updated Ultra Wideband Tech

Last edited:

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
Glad to see Apple Watch is getting more frequent releases than the iPad. I might give it a pass since I already have the AW5.

Reactions: Dopestar

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Stop complaining everybody. Thanks to our demanding attitudes Apple has to launch new iPhones, Watches and iPads every year.

Remember when they took 3 years to develop an Mac OS X release? But now we want MORE, MORE, MORE. FASTER, FASTER, FASTER.

We're never satisfied. Even if Apple would launch an Apple Watch that could fly us to the moon, you guys would complain wHy iT dOeSn'T fLy uS tO mArS.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
No killer feature since AW4. Maybe next year.
Always-on display, UWB, always-on altimeter, compass plus the usual silicon-based improvements (faster, better battery life, wider coverage for cellular model, adding 5 GHz Wifi), all came with AW5 & 6.

Always-on display is a killer feature for some. Better outdoor activity capabilities (always-on altimeter, compass, better battery life while tracking activity) is significant for others.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I really want that rumor of glucose monitoring to come to fruition. If it is just a spec bump this year, I might hold off until 2022 and buy a new iPad this year instead. My iPad Pro is over 5 years old and while iPad OS 15 will fully support it, I can’t imagine the performance will be anything great.

daanodinot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2015
I appreciate them updating these every year. Just the like with the iPhone, the low-hanging fruit has been picked over the last years so we should not expect big features every generation. Also remember that these biometric sensors are truly innovative features and take many years to develop.

bollman

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Stop complaining everybody. Thanks to our demanding attitudes Apple has to launch new iPhones, Watches and iPads every year.

Remember when they took 3 years to develop an Mac OS X release? But now we want MORE, MORE, MORE. FASTER, FASTER, FASTER.

We're never satisfied. Even if Apple would launch an Apple Watch that could fly us to the moon, you guys would complain wHy iT dOeSn'T fLy uS tO mArS.
I would absolutely LOVE if Apple stopped releasing stuff every year, especially software.

WoodpeckerBaby

Suspended
Aug 17, 2016
noooo. Blood sugar level reading not likely for several more years.....Waiting "several more years" for anything positive that's diabetic related seems to be all we diabetics do...However the several more years never seems to come to an end....
If you are willing to put in an implant on your belly, that works great and is much more accurate. Works over Bluetooth too.

It just need access to blood, and a Watch is really difficult to achieve that because to work around the need for blood is a really difficult process. Best thing they can do is some smart approximation based on sweet or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.