Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report out today by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu further confirms a bevy of rumors centering upon Apple's three 2018 iPhones. Expected to be revealed at an event in just a few weeks, the iPhones will all look visually similar to last year's iPhone X, but "boast a wider range of prices, features, and sizes to increase their appeal."

According to people familiar with Apple's launch plans, some inside of the company have referred to this year's launch as an "S year," designated for years when its smartphones keep the same design of a previous generation but bump up internals and add new features. "The company is planning more significant changes for next year," the people said.

2018iphonelineupdummy.jpg

One of the tidbits from today's report focuses on the naming scheme for this year's iPhone models, which appears to have caused somewhat of a "naming conundrum" within Apple. The company reportedly considered going with "iPhone Xs" for the OLED models, akin to the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, etc., but has "altered the name multiple times," so it's unclear what Apple finally landed on. We'll have to wait a few more weeks to know the official names of the 5.8-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.5-inch iPhones.
The new iPhone lineup has presented Apple with a naming conundrum, according to a person familiar with the deliberations. The company will be selling three phones that look similar and all have Face ID. But the cheapest model will be larger than the mid-range version, potentially confusing consumers.

While planning the new devices, Apple has altered the names multiple times. It has at least considered branding the new premium phones the "iPhone Xs," indicating that they're an upgrade to last year's iPhone X, the person said. The company has also weighed eschewing the "Plus" label for the larger model, which it has used since the iPhone 6 Plus launched with a larger screen in 2014. The final names could be different, the person noted.
Reiterating on previous rumors, Bloomberg mentions that Apple will launch a 6.5-inch "high-end" iPhone this year with a glass back, stainless steel edges, dual cameras, and an iPad-like landscape view. This would introduce a feature similar to iPad and previous "Plus" iPhones, although Apple has been thinking about ditching the "Plus" label this year.
There'll be a new high-end iPhone, internally dubbed D33, with a display that measures about 6.5-inch diagonally, according to the people familiar with the matter. That would make it the largest iPhone by far and one of the biggest mainstream phones on the market. It will continue to have a glass back with stainless steel edges and dual cameras on the back.

The big difference on the software side will be the ability to view content side-by-side in apps like Mail and Calendar. It will be Apple's second phone with a crisper organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen.
For the upgrade to the 5.8-inch iPhone X, the "main changes" will be iterative updates to processing speed and the camera. Lastly, the low-cost 6.1-inch iPhone will also look visually similar to the iPhone X, but include multiple color options, include aluminum edges instead of stainless steel, and have a cheaper LCD screen. According to the sources, "the cheaper version's aluminum edges won't necessarily be the same color as the colored glass back," similar to the way the White/Space Gray of the iPhone X's back did not affect the color of the silver stainless steel edges last year.

Further confirming previous rumors, all three models will have Face ID, and the two larger iPhones will have dual-SIM card slots "in at least some regions." Previously, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the 6.1-inch iPhone would come in two models, one that includes a single SIM and a second that offers dual-SIM card slots. Today Bloomberg suggests the 6.5-inch model will get this feature as well.

Today's report also briefly mentions a "nearly edge-to-edge" Apple Watch, while confirming compatibility with existing Apple Watch bands. The next iPad Pros will measure around 11-inches and 12.9-inches with slimmer bezels and Face ID, although anyone awaiting an update to the iPad mini will again be disappointed this year as this model "won't be upgraded."

We're getting very close to the launch of the 2018 iPhones, with German carriers suggesting that pre-orders for the iPhone will take place on Friday, September 14. That puts an announcement earlier in the week, perhaps on September 12, which would be in line with historic iPhone event dates. Following September 14 pre-orders, new 2018 iPhones are likely to see a launch on Friday, September 21.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Considered 'iPhone Xs' Names for 2018 OLED iPhones, Weighed Dropping 'Plus' Branding

Reactions: Ghost31

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Apple shoud stick to basic naming scheme

- 6.1 iPhone

- 5.8 iPhone (OLED)

- 6.5 iPhone (OLED)

This already works just fine for all the computers and even the regular ipad. Just append year for consecutive years and be done with it.

Or drop the (OLED) part and just call them Pro. They already use that for ipads and macbooks so it makes perfect sense

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The way we carry on about getting the best one, and rationalize with "long in tooth." I'm surprised they don't just use the year...
  • iPhone 18+
  • iPhone 18
  • iPhone 18L (for LCD) or Jr (or similar)
Stick the year in the name and it's visibly dated in 3 months, pressuring annual-instead-of-biannaual updates so that we can maintain the all-important "show our friends that we have latest & greatest."

Or to really wind us up and (self) pressure us to pay up for the max revenue-per-phone-sold:
  • iPhone Best
  • iPhone Better
  • iPhone Good
...though I continue to think simple...
  • iPhone Plus or Premier
  • iPhone
  • iPhone L
  • iPhone SE
Come to think of it: does it even matter? What if all 3 are just called iPhone or iPhone 18 (or maybe 19 to borrow rolling out "the future" a few months before January)... leaving it to customers to figure it out. I think there's 6 or 7 cup sizes at 7/11 these days and each cup doesn't have a unique name branded on it somewhere. I've never had an issue considering the various cup sizes and picking the right one for me. If each cup had a unique moniker, I don't think it would help- or hinder- the decision one bit.

After all this time, maybe do a Beatles "The White Album" on these and just tag them with an Apple logo only, assuming that we know it's their iPhone product without needing to read the name iPhone on it. I doubt anyone who would look at these will be confused into thinking they are the new iMac, Mac Mini or Mac pro.

Last edited:

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
SemiAccurate, for whatever their reputation is worth (so...Mound of salt, here), is staking their reputation on a 50% increase per core. Now that would be a mighty impressive feat, given that they're already up there with Intel size execution windows, but given the density, power, and clock speed improvements of the 7nm fab, maybe, if all those things were used towards peak power...

Hoping the iPads go the A12X route, finally being in line with the iPhone processor core launches, while still being higher power/higher bandwidth/more cores. The rumored 3+5 core sounds scary for the Intel U series.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I want something bigger than the X. Debating between the 6.1 and 6.5 screens. This is a time I wish they would show you in person what both look like before preorders begin. I don’t want to order one and find out I should have ordered the other.

Is there a cut out of both the 6.1 and 6.5 I can print online to get an idea how big each one will be?

Reactions: 19callum93

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Am I the only one thinking that “XS” probably never was a serious contender for what seems like will be physically the largest phones lineup they have ever offered? Wouldn’t the name consciously or unconsciously contradict what the product is in many people’s mind?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Less than a month from release, I guarantee they already have the name picked out and marketing has been cranking away at preparations for months.

This is the kind of reporting that's simple to get some web clicks. It doesn't matter if it's true or false. Claim that Apple is considering naming it the iPhone X Nachos and when it doesn't happen you still don't look bad as it was simply your claim that they were CONSIDERING it.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
According to the sources, "the cheaper version's aluminum edges won't necessarily be the same color as the colored glass back," similar to the way the White/Space Gray of the iPhone X's back did not affect the color of the silver stainless steel edges last year.

Pretty sure there is a difference between the stainless steel edges on the White and Space Gray models. Subtle, yes, but a different shade.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
X is over. X is equal to the tenth edition which was last year 10 year iPhone anniversary. This year will be eleventh year anniversary so X is no longer a relevant name.

The problem is they called it ten, not "ex"
Xs and Xs plus may be ok this year, but next year they should call it 11, and X2 doesn't make sense unless they change the way they pronounce it.

Reactions: AppleFan78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.