Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
WTB an iPhone at the price point (a little more would be OK) and size of the iPhone SE, but with the features of iPhone X.

We can call it the iPhone SE X.

... what?

Reactions: chooyoshi

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Well, Roman numerals past X would be strange. I also don’t think Pro is likely since next year, or 2020 at the latest, OLED will be mainstreamed like FaceID was this year. At that point I think they’ll drop back to two new models per year, with size being the most obvious difference again.

Then Pro wouldn’t make any more sense than it would have in a pre-X year. iPhone 7/7 Pro would never have made sense, they’re just too similar, and there’s just a $100 price difference.

Personally I’ve always thought X.2/X.2 Plus (like MacOS: “ten point two” or “ten dot two”) makes the most sense; it lets them reset the numeral so you won’t have 11, 12, 13, etc. going forward. It would just be weird to have iPhone 21 10 years from now; at some point it had to change.

As the iPhone 8/8 Plus follow-on, iPhone 9 (or 9 Plus) makes the most sense to me for the LCD, and makes it obvious that it’s still “less than” the X models whether 3017 or 2018. If they introduce an updated LCD model next year instead of going all-OLED, it could be the 9S.

But the idea that Apple hadn’t already considered this year’s naming even before they introduced the X last year isn’t believable. They already had a roadmap in place and knew what the iPhones this year (and beyond) would be called. It is a challenge and it’ll be interesting to see what they decided.

Last edited:
Reactions: FFR

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Gurman gets lots of scoops but how they turn out in a Bloomberg story is usually bad. Anyone with half a brain would know Apple isn’t going call them Xs which sounds like ‘excess’. When Apple released iPhone 8 instead of 7s I think it was pretty clear they were done with the s naming convention. And everyone knows by now that creating all new designs every year is not practical and something most smartphone OEMs don’t do. Why is this newsworthy other than Bloomberg wants to give a negative impression of this years lineup.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

philipc121

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
London, UK
Pretty sure there is a difference between the stainless steel edges on the White and Space Gray models. Subtle, yes, but a different shade.

They definitely do have different coloured stainlesss steel - I have the Silver, which has silver stainless steel, and by boyfriend has the Space Grey, which has space grey (nearly black) stainless steel - like the SGSS Watch.

It’s not always obvious from website pictures since the shine always looks silver/white either way, but the difference can be seen in the top photo here: https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2017/10/iphone-x-available-for-pre-order-on-friday-october-27/

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Will upgrade to second gen 6.5, still happy with my iPhone X. Also, with 5G coming online next year, would like to future proof my next upgrade.

I'm keeping my iPad Pro and Apple Watch as long as possible. Can't see any reason to upgrade those two for the next 3 years.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Based off of these rumors, there’s no reason for 5.8 users to upgrade. Marginally improved camera and speed is not enticing enough. And not everyone wants the 6.5 model.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
The 6.1 model makes no sense. Why is the cheapest phone, bigger than the midrange? They should have either made brought the oled up to 6.1 to match, or just make the lcd 5.8 to match the current oled. The fact that the more expensive phone has a smaller screen makes no sense.

zla

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
More and more evidence points to iPhone Pro

Yep, that's what I've been saying. iMac pro already happened and it's a matter of time before the mac mini pro comes out. They already have macbook pro and ipad pro.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
This is a great opportunity to catch up on all the numbers and move forward next year. Let's go.

Iphone 11 Plus
Iphone 11
Iphone 9

“And today we’re proud to announce... the IPhone 9 and iPhone 11” would probably not go over well with the marketing department lol. Though I would love to see a Verge article titled “How the iPhones 9/11 stack up”

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The 6.1 model makes no sense. Why is the cheapest phone, bigger than the midrange? They should have either made brought the oled up to 6.1 to match, or just make the lcd 5.8 to match the current oled. The fact that the more expensive phone has a smaller screen makes no sense.

I think there is a market for a mid/high range of this size. I am sure Apple has done their research and understand that. Screen size doesn't necessarily dictate price, components and features do.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Apple is gonna name the 5.8 model the iPhone 9.

“Well, we had a lot of trouble with naming these phones. But, after you think about it, it was pretty obvious. There’s really no upgrade from the iPhone X, so were considering this release a step back. Now run! Run and buy it!”

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Less than a month from release, I guarantee they already have the name picked out and marketing has been cranking away at preparations for months.

This is the kind of reporting that's simple to get some web clicks. It doesn't matter if it's true or false. Claim that Apple is considering naming it the iPhone X Nachos and when it doesn't happen you still don't look bad as it was simply your claim that they were CONSIDERING it.
Lots of disgraceful reporting in and around this time of year.

But, that is what reporting has become in 2018.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Apple shoud stick to basic naming scheme

- 6.1 iPhone

- 5.8 iPhone (OLED)

- 6.5 iPhone (OLED)

This already works just fine for all the computers and even the regular ipad. Just append year for consecutive years and be done with it.

Or drop the (OLED) part and just call them Pro. They already use that for ipads and macbooks so it makes perfect sense

And if they keep the same sizes on 2019 or whenever, .. you'll get the exact same name?

I say link it to the year (they release one a year), so:

2018 iPhone +Pro
2018 iPhone Pro
2018 iPhone

They could use the car industry scheme where they use next years year too i.e iPhone 2019 released in Sept 2018.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
The problem is they called it ten, not "ex"
Xs and Xs plus may be ok this year, but next year they should call it 11, and X2 doesn't make sense unless they change the way they pronounce it.

In 2020 they will release the iPhone X4, or simply: 10-4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.