Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

A new report out today by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu further confirms a bevy of rumors centering upon Apple's three 2018 iPhones. Expected to be revealed at an event in just a few weeks, the iPhones will all look visually similar to last year's iPhone X, but "boast a wider range of prices, features, and sizes to increase their appeal."

According to people familiar with Apple's launch plans, some inside of the company have referred to this year's launch as an "S year," designated for years when its smartphones keep the same design of a previous generation but bump up internals and add new features. "The company is planning more significant changes for next year," the people said.

2018iphonelineupdummy.jpg

One of the tidbits from today's report focuses on the naming scheme for this year's iPhone models, which appears to have caused somewhat of a "naming conundrum" within Apple. The company reportedly considered going with "iPhone Xs" for the OLED models, akin to the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, etc., but has "altered the name multiple times," so it's unclear what Apple finally landed on. We'll have to wait a few more weeks to know the official names of the 5.8-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.5-inch iPhones.
Reiterating on previous rumors, Bloomberg mentions that Apple will launch a 6.5-inch "high-end" iPhone this year with a glass back, stainless steel edges, dual cameras, and an iPad-like landscape view. This would introduce a feature similar to iPad and previous "Plus" iPhones, although Apple has been thinking about ditching the "Plus" label this year.
For the upgrade to the 5.8-inch iPhone X, the "main changes" will be iterative updates to processing speed and the camera. Lastly, the low-cost 6.1-inch iPhone will also look visually similar to the iPhone X, but include multiple color options, include aluminum edges instead of stainless steel, and have a cheaper LCD screen. According to the sources, "the cheaper version's aluminum edges won't necessarily be the same color as the colored glass back," similar to the way the White/Space Gray of the iPhone X's back did not affect the color of the silver stainless steel edges last year.

Further confirming previous rumors, all three models will have Face ID, and the two larger iPhones will have dual-SIM card slots "in at least some regions." Previously, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the 6.1-inch iPhone would come in two models, one that includes a single SIM and a second that offers dual-SIM card slots. Today Bloomberg suggests the 6.5-inch model will get this feature as well.

Today's report also briefly mentions a "nearly edge-to-edge" Apple Watch, while confirming compatibility with existing Apple Watch bands. The next iPad Pros will measure around 11-inches and 12.9-inches with slimmer bezels and Face ID, although anyone awaiting an update to the iPad mini will again be disappointed this year as this model "won't be upgraded."

We're getting very close to the launch of the 2018 iPhones, with German carriers suggesting that pre-orders for the iPhone will take place on Friday, September 14. That puts an announcement earlier in the week, perhaps on September 12, which would be in line with historic iPhone event dates. Following September 14 pre-orders, new 2018 iPhones are likely to see a launch on Friday, September 21.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Considered 'iPhone Xs' Names for 2018 OLED iPhones, Weighed Dropping 'Plus' Branding

The article content is expected. “S” cycle is mostly for internal improvements which are negligible unless someone is so keen to get these improvements. Physical design look is the same. Plus size is not a big deal bigger as the regular and it still looks the same.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Well the name is pretty much settled on internally. All the boxes, marketing material and manuals (well the handout they include) are being printed and manufactured right now. If not right this second, very very soon.

Reactions: one more

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
What other “exciting changes”?? Maybe the Pencil support with an ‘Apple Pen’ (smaller size) to match? Colors on the 6.1? Anything else? The time is getting nearer so the teaser rumors are commencing now. Surprised there haven’t been supply constraint rumors yet. I’m expecting one for the Plus model just because.

Hmmm, will they finally go iPhone Pro for the 6.5”? I can see them wanting to change since Samsung also uses the Plus name on the Galaxy S+ model. Yet, they’ve avoided ‘Pro’ for so long. However, there have been some hints of Apple potentially designating the 6.5 as a high end model and in the past for other Apple products that has meant going ‘Pro’. I was thinking plain old 11 Plus, but whatever it’s called, I’m ready to see it.

I have a slight pause if FaceID isn’t updated for wider angles, will wait to see.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
So this is the ‘s’ year cycle. I hope Forbes is right and next year we’ll get the return of the option to use touch-id with the fingerprint reader under the screen (will work on the entire screen) in the patent filed supposedly.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Can't wait for a dual SIM iPhone.
If not, I might just replace my 6S' battery and use it for another year.

On the other side, the Poco F1 is really tempting.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Next, can you clear up the MacBook/MacBook Air ambiguity? The current MacBook is more Air than the MacBook Air.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I want something bigger than the X. Debating between the 6.1 and 6.5 screens. This is a time I wish they would show you in person what both look like before preorders begin. I don’t want to order one and find out I should have ordered the other.

Is there a cut out of both the 6.1 and 6.5 I can print online to get an idea how big each one will be?

If you can wait a few weeks longer after the announcement you could physically check them out in Apple or carrier stores.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
Almost same naming scheme as the iPad line I’m guessing, iPhone, iphone SE and iPhone Pro 2018 series.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I feel like I'm being told how deciding between hot pink and fuchshia nail varnishes was an impossible task, so a whole new shade had to be created (hot fuchsia?).

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
This is a great opportunity to catch up on all the numbers and move forward next year. Let's go.

Iphone 11 Plus
Iphone 11
Iphone 9

Then next year we can just have

Iphone 12 Plus
Iphone 12
Iphone 12 C

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't particularly care what they are called, but I am all for simplicity if they can make it work. Drop the numbering scheme if possible. Regardless though, Apple is in store for a monster quarter. These new phones are going to sell very very well, plus throw in new redesigned iPad Pro's and a redesigned Apple Watch. I'll be going for the X Plus, new iPad Pro 11 inch, and a new Series 4 also.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Less than a month from release, I guarantee they already have the name picked out and marketing has been cranking away at preparations for months.

This is the kind of reporting that's simple to get some web clicks. It doesn't matter if it's true or false. Claim that Apple is considering naming it the iPhone X Nachos and when it doesn't happen you still don't look bad as it was simply your claim that they were CONSIDERING it.

What? Of course they've already settled on a name at this point. This article isn't implying that Apple is still scratching their heads on a name. It's just talking about some of the names that they considered along the way, which is both worth reporting and interesting to read.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
iPhone Pro
iPhone
iPhone we made instead of the SE successor we’re sorry we’ll get it right next year. Possibly March.

Reactions: tfredvik

thenewyorkgod

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
All the people making the "excess" jokes are the same people that made the sanitary pad jokes when the iPad was first announced. Not funny then, not funny now.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I think that iPhone X might be named just iPhone 2018 (bigger = Pro, 6.1 = Color). Or maybe not this year but certainly next year.

Naming it like 11 / 12 / ... etc. is really not very nice and I don't think Apple is gonna use it.

Edit: look at iPad 12.9inch: is there any naming difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen...? No.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Honest opinion is that calling it 'XS', 'XL' etc only further encourages people to pronounce the 'X' as the letter rather than 'ten'. Unless Apple internally admits it's lost that battle and doesn't care any more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.