Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu cites sources who say that Apple will start shipping some of their computers with Blu-ray support as early as Macworld.

Appleinsider also corroborates the report with their own sources, expecting an overhaul to the Mac Pro in the 1st quarter of 2008 with Blu-ray support.

Mac Pro updates have been long overdue with the last major update almost 17 months ago. While some rumors have pegged the Mac Pro update at Macworld, there has been only minimal buzz about it in the final weeks before the expo.

Article Link

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I wonder how much of an impact this will actually make in the "format wars" if it proves to be true.

I think that will depend how much it costs. If it comes standard then it might play a role. However I don't see it having much affect if it's a $1000 BTO option or something.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
However I don't see it having much affect if it's a $1000 BTO option or something.

Only $1000, I was thinking more along the lines of around $2500+. Given the amount they charge for RAM give Apple credit where credit is due.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Its funny when you price out ram on apples BTO. Some ram is 600 bucks more expensive than on macsales.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Another question-- does "with Blu-ray support" mean that it will ship with a Blu-ray drive or just be able to handle an external Blu-ray drive? Can current Macs handle external next-gen drives?

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Maybe this is a stupid question....

but will the Blu-Ray Support be just a player or will it burn Blu-Ray as well?

its apple. it would be blu-ray authoring as well :D

THE FORMAT WAR IS OVER if this happens....blu-ray has been pretty much been dominating if you pay attention to the real numbers (didn't lose a single week in sales all of last year) and if it were any other way apple would do a combo drive.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I wonder how much of an impact this will actually make in the "format wars" if it proves to be true.

Who the hell even knows anymore. I am sick of it, and it has made me apathetic toward buying into either format, or even buying regular DVDs anymore. Now I don't buy anything. (Yes, I know there are dual format players, but I want one format that works in any HD player I come across and in my future computer devices)

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Another question-- does "with Blu-ray support" mean that it will ship with a Blu-ray drive or just be able to handle an external Blu-ray drive? Can current Macs handle external next-gen drives?

I have an external blu-ray burner, that works on my mac, but only for data at the moment.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Seriously, you guys think a BluRay drive will be in excess of $1000 optional? NewEgg has internal drives starting at $200 for readers and $400 for writers. I'll admit that these are probably not the brands that Apple would sell, but still, $1,000 seems too steep.

What do you think Apple will call these drives?
SuperDrive = DVD/CD writer
??? = BluRay/DVD/CD writer

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
are there hybrid blu-ray readers that can also write DVD-+R(W) ?

I don't see Apple dropping the the 'old' format, and having 2 drives (swapable or external) would be a pain.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Too bad. HD-DVD looks like it may become the Betamax of HD. I own 2 Blu-Ray players and 2 HD-DVD players. When I can choose to buy or rent and have the ability to choose between the two I always choose the HD-DVD. It is just better.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Who the hell even knows anymore. I am sick of it, and it has made me apathetic toward buying into either format, or even buying regular DVDs anymore. Now I don't buy anything. (Yes, I know there are dual format players, but I want one format that works in any HD player I come across and in my future computer devices)

than buy blu-ray....microsoft wants you to be confused, thats their number one goal since they are losing badly, but the answer is clear....the future is blu

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I have been waiting exactly 1 year to buy a new Mac Pro. I waitied for iLife 08, then Leopard. I can't wait any longer! I want a new Mac Pro! I know as soon as I buy a new one, Apple will update the line with the new 3.2G procs. So I am forced to wait until the next revision.

Apple, please please please please please update the Mac Pro this month!

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Blu ray in Mac Pros would likely be an add-on to the standard configuration. Thus this will have a limited impact on the format wars.

Even if the Blu-ray drive is standard...the market for Mac Pros is so small it would only cause a minimal impact.

However more options are always good.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Too bad. HD-DVD looks like it may become the Betamax of HD. I own 2 Blu-Ray players and 2 HD-DVD players. When I can choose to buy or rent and have the ability to choose between the two I always choose the HD-DVD. It is just better.

psssh....at what? warner titles are the same on both because they have to fit the master onto the crappy hd-dud disc. if they had more space to work with, MAYBE we would get a decent transfer from them.

watch close encounter of the third kind on blu and you can't say that anymore

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The main problem I have with this rumor is the fact in previous years Apple has never talked about the MacPro/PowerMacs at MacWorld. Updates to these systems have came a few weeks later with minor upgrades. MacWorld is usually were Apple talks about their consumer lineup with the iMacs, laptops and iPods. WWDC is typically were they do something to the pro-user desktop.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
How many people will upgrade?

The problem I'm starting to see (for Apple at least) is that the new iMacs are starting to look like awfully good alternatives to spending $3000+ for a Mac Pro tower.

The performance gap has been narrowing with new iMac refreshes and updates, while the Mac Pro has been completely stagnant.

I have a Mac Pro and one of the new 20" iMacs, and for most things I do, the speed difference is negligible, really. The Mac Pro can handle concurrent tasks without slowing down as much as the iMac. But in some situations, the iMac actually completes a given job FASTER than the Mac Pro does - when you're only running the one application on both machines.

Unless you spend most of your time in one of a few specialized "pro apps", or you tend to do a lot of background rendering/processing while expecting another app in the foreground to run as though nothing else was happening, the Mac Pro is hard to cost-justify right now. (Sure, I realize it has a bigger memory capacity, much more hard drive expandability, and you can pair it with whatever display(s) you like -- and it has the better video card options to make 3D gaming enjoyable. But ultimately, that amounts to paying a BIG premium for more slots and bays on the motherboard, you know?)

Blu-Ray included in some/all of the new Mac Pros is a good move for the future -- but it's strictly an "incremental change" in the grand scheme of things. The Mac Pro needs a new generation of motherboard/Xeon CPU inside it to be a "worthy upgrade", PLUS get some new video card offerings for the thing!

How many pro users will actually use the new MacPro systems?

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
If the Mac Pro comes out later in Q1.. LOL

BD is coming to Apple no question. Movie sales in the end are the main force that wins a format war..not burnable media. That comes in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.