Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
This feature is annoying.
no, it's super-annoying. The worst thing is that they literally say, you plebs don't know what you are doing and what you really want, so we rather "help" you a bit on these decisions. I still can't believe that this is happening.. I would have to be really rude to comment on their BS explanation: "Apple says users should try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on for the best experience on an iOS device."

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
no, it's super-annoying. The worst thing is that they literally say, you plebs don't know what you are doing and what you really want, so we rather "help" you a bit on these decisions. I still can't believe that this is happening.. I would have to be really rude to comment on their BS explanation: "Apple says users should try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on for the best experience on an iOS device."

The bottom line is the Control Center icons are now current connection toggles only; to actually shut off the features, do it via Settings.

Reactions: tooloud10

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2011
Then shut it off in settings - those toggles are firm on/off settings.

No we shouldn't go through this step. I shut off wi-fi when I go to bed, I don't have to go through settings to switch it off. Just a swipe up, tap and lock the phone should suffice.

This is just utter bullsh*t. It's pure logic to press a switch to toggle something on or off.

If you find it useful, fine by me, but you're one of those 1% of people. Apple should make an option in settings that changes the behaviour of this button to what it was and what it now is, so that we can choose.

Or make it a button that has 3 states. One for on, one for off, and one for that weird thing they're doing now.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
No we shouldn't go through this step. I shut off wi-fi when I go to bed, I don't have to go through settings to switch it off. Just a swipe up, tap and lock the phone should suffice.

This is just utter bullsh*t. It's pure logic to press a switch to toggle something on or off.

Well, that's your opinion; for many this is a great new feature.

You can always file feedback and perhaps they will add another toggle in the future, but for now this is how it works and it's a feature, not a bug.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Great idea! Finally. It was so annoying turning on airplane mode and loosing disconnection from my watch. Why would you need to turn wifi or bluetooth off anyway? Saving battery is a bit of a myth and applied about 2000 when bluetooth sucked!

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Yes it will disconnect from WiFi network but keep WiFi on

So that means:
If I toggle the wifi in the CC, it's only disconnected from the current wifi I'm connected to which means that wifi is still ON?
That further means, that if that is the case, it's going to consume battery and actively look for a connection? Which will further require more battery usage? So it's a waste of battery especially if you are in a location that has no wifi and let's say you only toggled it off in the cc. If someone can help clarify this?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
It's the universal safe zone between when people who like to stay up late go to bed and when people who like to get up early wake up. It's the new "new day" time.
Hmm, alright, but Night Shift thinks a day starts at 8am...

This way you have two "new day isn't 00:00" times to remember, not exactly elegant.

Also I don't think it should auto-turn on at all, especially when it actually remains on for most of its use cases anyways...

Glassed Silver:win

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
So that means:
If I toggle the wifi in the CC, it's only disconnected from the current wifi I'm connected to which means that wifi is still ON?
That further means, that if that is the case, it's going to consume battery and actively look for a connection? Which will further require more battery usage? So it's a waste of battery especially if you are in a location that has no wifi and let's say you only toggled it off in the cc. If someone can help clarify this?

Unless you always kept your WiFi radio shut off in iOS 10, it won't use any more power.

Rather the buttons allow you to dissociate from the current WiFi connection but WiFi will remain on and will automatically reassociate with any of your known WiFi hotspots should they come into range.

If you actually want the radio off, it's easy to shut off via Settings - what you used to have to do if you connected to a router you didn't want to previously.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Unless you always kept your WiFi radio shut off in iOS 10, it won't use any more power.

Rather the buttons allow you to dissociate from the current WiFi connection but WiFi will remain on and will automatically reassociate with any of your known WiFi hotspots should they come into range.

If you actually want the radio off, it's easy to shut off via Settings - what you used to have to do if you connected to a router you didn't want to previously.

So they should have created disconnect buttons. Not change the behavior of previous buttons.

Seriously apple sheeple defend everything this company does.

Reactions: Kevenly

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
So they should have created disconnect buttons. Not change the behavior of previous buttons.

Seriously apple sheeple defend everything this company does.

Meanwhile you apparently dismiss those who find it useful as "sheeple."

I personally am happy because I always shut off the radios via "Settings" anyway and this provides a great new feature that wasn't available in any way previously.

I realize that's not the case for you, but that alone doesn't make me a fan of everything they do.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Meanwhile you apparently dismiss those who find it useful as "sheeple."

I personally am happy because I always shut off the radios via "Settings" anyway and this provides a great new feature that wasn't available in any way previously.

I realize that's not the case for you, but that alone doesn't make me a fan of everything they do.

What does this imply towards battery life though? Let's say you just disconnect via the control center.
This is what I am curious with. I've always kept my wifi off when I didn't use it. It might sound lazy, but the convenience of being able to shut it off in one click using the control center was a good thing for me most especially when I'm in bed for example and I'm using my 7 plus with one hand. Makes it easier.
How taxing is this for the battery life though is what I am very curious with. Like what difference is there between having the wifi on (disconnected via cc) vs shutting if off completely.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
What does this imply towards battery life though? Let's say you just disconnect via the control center.
This is what I am curious with. I've always kept my wifi off when I didn't use it. It might sound lazy, but the convenience of being able to shut it off in one click using the control center was a good thing for me most especially when I'm in bed for example and I'm using my 7 plus with one hand. Makes it easier.
How taxing is this for the battery life though is what I am very curious with. Like what difference is there between having the wifi on (disconnected via cc) vs shutting if off completely.

In the case of wifi, no longer connected, very little power increase. If you use location services, implicitly or explicitly though, wifi still being available will greatly increase the speed and accuracy of it, so reducing the time to run the gps and saving power.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I was practically pulling my hair out until I discovered the option to turn it off was somewhere else. A completely pointless "feature" (for me) that I hope will be changed in a future update.

Reactions: Kevenly

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
We know whats good for you, and how to best use your device

-Apple

Add a switch in the control center settings menu to reverse this behavior if you want to? Why in the world would we do such a thing?

-Apple

Then they'd probably say, with no intention of their own obvious irony, that additional options in settings would be too complicated.
[doublepost=1506000706][/doublepost]
Should be something like this instead: View attachment 719389

Go work for Apple. Now!

Intuitive visually and functionally, has the functions everybody wants easily accessible.
[doublepost=1506001373][/doublepost]
From the home screen, it is only three taps away. Once a day, maybe twice, should be enough for what you described.

The ENTIRE POINT of Control Panel was to make functions people use frequently available extra-quickly and simply. Going to settings to turn things on and off is more complicated and time consuming. It's like going to the fuse box to turn off the light instead of being able to use a light switch.
It was the entire reason people clamored for a control panel of this type. Now they have changed it so those of us that need those features commonly throughout the day have to go to settings now like we did back in 2009. They have not even provided an option. Having that option wouldn't take away the precious new behavior that you love so much. Everyone could have what they want easily.
[doublepost=1506001655][/doublepost]
Exactly. People are upset because the 'power switch' doesn't turn anything off. That's because it's not a power switch.

Also, it's exactly as many steps to actually turn the radios off as it always was; Force Touch Settings button, slide to wifi or BT, and click the power button. That is, the addition of Force Touch rendered the Control Center toggles pretty useless, and we've now got an entire new feature.

There are a lot of IOS 11 capable devices in the wild that do not have force touch.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It seems *more* intuitive to me, because I'm generally using those toggles to quickly disconnect from BT/wifi, not because I actually want the BT/wifi radios to be off. Not disconnecting my Watch because I toggled the BT switch is more intuitive to me as well.
[doublepost=1505943228][/doublepost]

How so?

<both phones on home screens>

iPhone:
1) Force Touch Settings button and slide to Bluetooth or Wifi
2) Let go
3) Click power toggle

Samsung:
1) Press tope of screen and slide down
2) Let go
3) Click power toggle for Bluetooth or Wifi
I didn't say toggle Bluetooth on and off, I said connect and disconnect from Bluetooth devices. That includes the option to pair/unpair from a particular device... opening the list of devices and then being able to connect and disconnect from an individual device in that list. I ran this comparison when using a Bose Sounddock between two devices.

P. S. I didn't know about the force touch shortcut but it doesn't apply from the lock screen anyway (holding the Bluetooth icon to open settings in the control center would fix this) but also I had to hit the little "i" in order to disconnect from a specific device unlike on Android where I just tap the name of the device listed in the menu.

Last edited:

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Why didn't they just implement a sub-menu from control center that offered the user the two wifi/bluetooth settings? Seems misleading the way they did it and I would say most iPhone users will not be aware of the nuance.

Reactions: Orka and pacorob

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
What Apple does the most WRONG is that they remove choices. There is no non-nefarious obvious reason to me why they would change the long-standing behavior of these buttons without mention and not provide a choice in Settings so people can choose what works best. Then you get this war between people all the time on Apple forums about how the new thing is a gift from Apple God and the people who just lost functionality or convenience that they want/need. It doesn't have to be that way. One toggle switch in Settings, or some clever design of the buttons would have made everyone happy. Our choices are supposed to be greater with technology, our lives made easier. If people find this new button useful then they should be able to have the functionality but we should also still have the option of the standard use. Nobody is wrong for how they want to use their device but we should have a choice. If Apple takes away choices then people are left with the only choice of not using Apple anymore. But then what of people who have invested a lot in Apple products, lose functionality they need in an update and aren't allowed to revert? Apple is wrong again here as well. The irony of making things more complicated in the name of simplicity. The irony of preaching about security and at the same time declaring the virtues of always-on wireless networking radios. Wrong.

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
Think of it this way. The control panel toggle button is like a room light switch. The settings, WiFi off switch is the main circuit breaker.

So when you explicity turn off your light switch, it automatically turns itself back on at 5am, or when some other device in your house wants the lights to be on, or when you walk to a new room in the house?

I don't know what kind of switches you have, but when I turn off my light switches, they stay off until I turn them back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevenly and tkwolf

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I don't have A/B test data to prove this, but I used to religiously turn off all the radios when I wasn't actually using my iDevices. Starting with 9, I started just turning off the cell radio and leaving WiFi and BT on. Since I got my iPhone 7 a year ago that's been my uniform practice and here's my observation: Apple's power management in iOS is so good at this point that turning off WiFi and BT has no discernible impact on battery life.

I am sympathetic in principle with complaints about dumbing down the user controls and not being up front about changes. I just don't think this is going to have any practical impact on me or how I use my phone or tablets.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I was briefly annoyed early in the beta testing because it wasn't the functionality i expected. But after using it like this for a couple of months, I believe the new iOS 11 CC functionality is the best default option. They do what most users need them to do most of the time. If you are in the minority, you can go into Settings. (I do think they should add 3D Touch options.)

So majority of people toggle wifi and bluetooth off just for fun? I turn them off in situations where I 1) absolutely need the battery life to be at it's best and/or 2) when I'm in a location where WIFI and/or bluetooth devices are absolutely forbidden.

Thanks, Apple, for making the control center useless. Now I have to dive into settings every single time I need to turn those off. :( What next? A power button that doesn't actually turn the device on/off? Volume buttons that have no affect whatsoever on the volume? Decorative brightness slider "because it's ooh so thin!"?

pinhead4ever

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
I think Apple should take this design one step further: power button that does nothing. If you really want to turn off your phone, you need to go to nearest apple store. That would be very handy and provide functionality what users really want :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.