Bluetooth Device in 2 Weeks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
O'Reilly's Mac OS X Conference kicked off with a Keynote with Tim O'Reilly and David Pogue. MacCentral provided some coverage... with the following quote from Pogue:

"I can't say what, but in the next two weeks, one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard," said Pogue.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That sounds like very good news for those who are waiting to get a powerbook. I can't wait to test out one of these at CompUSA. Hopefully there won't be a wait on them, like on the 1.25s

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Finally!!!

I am so glad we are finally seeing somehting bluetooth after having it announced for mac several months ago. I hope it is a Ipod or Ibook/tibook

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
A few thoughts

1) I doubt Pogue would either know about a new Apple release or be foolish enough to announce it to the world.

2) This is a Developers conference... so major maker of something important in your life could be a different company altogether... um Metrowerks, or some developer-oriented company. But I guess it would have to be a hardware company.

arn

sluthy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
Why does everyone expect new Powerbooks from this statement? It's just as likely to be a new Bluetooth printer or monitor. Remember their raving about Phillips and Lexmark and them working Rendezvous into their products?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by sluthy
Why does everyone expect new Powerbooks from this statement? It's just as likely to be a new Bluetooth printer or monitor. Remember their raving about Phillips and Lexmark and them working Rendezvous into their products?
Mostly because powerbooks are due for an update any week now.

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Powerbook or Mouse?

"I can't say what, but in the next two weeks, one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard," said Pogue.
It could be a Powerbook , but are Powerbooks important in all developers lives? Maybe. (Already have Powerbook 800 wouldn't upgrade just for built-in bluetooth)

It could be a wireless bluetooth mouse because most developers use mice?
Maybe. (Something I would buy)

It could be a phone or project with sony ericsson/phillips ?
Maybe, not likely. Too soon after relationship was announced.

It might not even be from Apple....

Powerbooks are due for an update, but some would say the the mouse is also due for an update - it has remained the same (apart from new white color version) for a long time.

I doubt he is taking about a palm. I don't have a palm, I only know a few people that do, and if I did, I wouldn't call it an important object in my life.

Whatever it is I hope its at MacExpo London so I can have a look in November.

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
Re: Bluetooth Device in 2 Weeks

"I can't say what, but in the next two weeks, one of the major makers of something important in your life will start making something that has Bluetooth standard."
This was stated at an OS X Developer conference...for APPLE developers. All of the posts I've seen here and at other locations claiming that this could be referring to any other company aside from Apple seem to be illogical. To assume Pogue would make some vague announcement to Apple developers that some non-Apple Bluetooth product is coming seems to be quite a leap.

Agreed, the device itself could be anything...there is no way to determine from what Pogue said if this is a PowerBook/iBook/iPod/iPhone, etc. That part does remain unknown, and we'll all find out in two weeks. But clearly, something is coming from Apple. Debate WHICH product all you like...but who the company is has already been made perfectly clear. (Unless you assume Pogue is simply lying.)

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
it would seem to me that it is very likely that it is Apple, but for legal reasons he cannot specifically mention them, as he says says that they make something important in their lives, and I can not think of any other company that would make something that is important in the lives of all the developers there other than Apple, just about any other product including Bluetooth would not be worth mentioning, I mean, maybe I would care about Palm, but that's not that big of a deal, printers, who cares? cell phones, nothing particularly special, now we move on to Apple, and then it has some significance, not to mention that the PowerBooks would probably benefit the most from it (using a Bluetooth phone as a modem, etc.) and they are very ripe for an upgrade (a SIGNIFICANT one even) so that's what my money is on, though I would LOVE to seen an iPhone, I think it's a little soon for that, Palm including it wouldn't be that big of a deal, though it would be nice, but I wouldn't personally care, since I plan I getting a Kyocera 7135 when they come out, assuming the iPhone is not out by then & that the iPhone is better (which if the rumors are accurate, it looks like that iPhone might not be that cool) and now I am just rambling endlessly so I will stop now.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
dudes ! Palms are dead, DEAD.
A number of people tell me Apple is coming up with a cell phone - but I have no idea whether this particular rumor could be related to that. And these people are much greater Apple maniac then I am so, hard to believe. Yet they are "mature", no kids. So, I vote for the phone. We shall find out soon

Qunchuy

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Powerbook or Mouse?

Originally posted by sandsl

I doubt he is taking about a palm. I don't have a palm, I only know a few people that do, and if I did, I wouldn't call it an important object in my life.
Hee. If you did use a Palm, you might very well call it an important object. A PDA, used regularly, quickly becomes very important.

I'd be a lot more likely to buy a new Bluetooth-equipped Palm (and a USB Bluetooth module for my iBook) than a new PowerBook.

badtzmat

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2002
NYC
phone

isync release with that sonyericcson that is way overpriced. rumors of danger alignment as well. pogue is not going to say anything unless it is something big.

powerbook ibook too easy.

mouse ehh not very interesting what with cheap pen/wireless (no battery) mouse tools out there to be had already.

iphone!!!!!!!

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Hmmm

Ok, to sum up all possibilities and rumors here, it can be said that it is likely a electronic device from Apple and it should be smaller and portable and it will have Bluetooth integrated.

So, iPod? Updated. Wouldnt charge over bluetooth. Firewire better.

iBook/Powerbook? Needs a speedbump. But the integrated Bluetooth wouldnt be such a feature to proudly announce on a developers conference. Why is Bluetooth so important to the product?

--> It must be essential to the product. Maybe an iPhone or something... or something we couldnt dream of (is there something like this?).

Were no rumors floating around about a tablet style device? PDA? :D Watch the eye :D
But it could fit. Hm, lets be surprised!

ljova.com

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
probably Palms but who knows?

well if you want my take -- it'll probably be new <i>PALMS</i>, which sucks, because I don't NEED one.

My wish for Palms is not bluetooth, it's better integration with the celllular phone. I have a StarTac and a Palm Vx; they are the best of both worlds - small, low radiation, light and don't take up much room. It'd be great to combine them into one.

But OH how I'd wish for the new bluetooth device to be a POWERBOOK, as I *do* need to buy one!

ljova.com

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
by the way..

I'd bet that the new device is a Palm, also because it's possible to buy a Bluetooth USB adapter for a whopping $49. Not sure if you can do it just as cheaply with a Palm.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
if it's something coming from Apple, and i think it is.. it has to be the laptops. Apple would NOT release a bluetooth iPod, iPhone, or anything else, until they have computers that can take advantage of that out-of-box. no, the d-link adapter doesn't count, even if it is mentioned on Apple's own site. unless, however, Apple plans on bundling the adapter with all new laptops.

basically.. it's the laptops.. i'm sure of it. although not sure if it'll be both consumer and prosumer or just one (probably prosumer if it was mentioned at a developer's conference).

i only hope they plan on updating the iMacs first (not to include bluetooth, although they might) but just to speed them up.. they're beautiful, but it's been a LONG time!

ljova.com

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by arn
1) I doubt Pogue would either know about a new Apple release or be foolish enough to announce it to the world.

arn [/B]
Why wouldn't he know? He's a member of the press and a key component (sorry to refer to people as "product") of the Switchers campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the Beta-testers for this. Etc. perhaps he wasn't watching his words at a developer conference. At any rate, we shall find out soon...

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
sluthy:
"Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed into a smaller vibration, and that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

I have to say that this is a great sig, but you should remember to give credit where it's due. Bill Hicks all the way.

As far as this thread goes, I think it's a chicken/egg type of thing as far as BlueTooth goes. Apple will release one product, then another, and another, etc. Eventually it will catch on as the way to go and everyone will be making BlueTooth products. 5 years from now there will be people arguing about who came up with BlueTooth to begin with.

-The Gruesome Drewsome

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
"something important in your life" - unless anyone on this forum uses voice-recognition regularly, I reckon it may well be a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.
This would then logically require bluetooth in all new machines as a matter of course, but a USB bluetooth adapter would suffice until these upgrades are introduced...