Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So BMW is effectively saying “play by my rules or I’m crippling the hardware.”

If you owned a BMW and were a member of any of the BMW forums you'd realize that there is so much software in a BMW that is already locked out of any given model -- not just software but max speed, torque and horsepower too.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And satellite service costs the supplier money when they give it to you. They have to keep the satellites in the sky, power the uplinks, pay for content and talent, etc. They have annual costs which they cover by charging you a subscription. BMW has no annual cost associated with supplying you with a screen.

What BMW is suggesting is no different than a television manufacturer charging you an annual subscription if you want to plug a Roku into the HDMI port.

This is the right analogy. I hope BMW is punished in the market for even suggesting this.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My 2017 VW has both carplay and android auto without subscription :)

I just got one too. Tried carplay on the way home from the dealer a week ago. That will probably be the only time, it really doesn't interest me. Now, if I could get Volkswagen to pay me $80/year for NOT using carplay, that would be cool. ;)

Reactions: Json81

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well, I tend to keep my cars for 5 years. If it were a luxury car, 7 years. Hence, makes no sense to go subscrption.

In your case I'd agree. But also it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep a BMW 7 years. The upkeep is crazy expensive once the warranty expires.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Scumbag BMW always trying to reduce base prices and maximize profits by offloading upfront costs. Just like when BMW changed the "BMW Ultimate Service" from "50,000 miles or 4 years" to "36,000 or 3 years" (AND got rid of half the included benefits) and had nothing to show for it! BMW's Leadership Team is comprised of IDIOTS.

bmw.png

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Here's my #hottake: I don't really care. I will likely never own a BMW. Their cars are fine, but I just bought a new car, and I'm guessing I don't have that many more cars in my future. And even if this spreads to other automakers, again, I probably won't own too many more cars.

CarPlay was a must have for the car I bought 6 months ago and it's good, but it's not amazing. Not as important as I thought it was before I bought the car. Nice to have, but not a necessity.

Reactions: Boyd01

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
I think you need to look in the mirror yourself.

BMW now charges $300 for CarPlay. So today if the buyer decides he or she doesn't like CarPlay after taking possession tough. $300 in the trash can.

If BMW uses a subscription model: CarPlay for $80/year, cancelable at any time, first year free = IF I like CarPlay I end up paying 3 years x $80 = $240. Last I checked $240 was less than $300.

OTOH If after a year I don't like CarPlay then I pay $0. $0 is definitely less than $300.
[doublepost=1516203284][/doublepost]

It's not. It's like a ground lease for software.

Yeah, but will BMW keep updating your car's head unit to the last hardware? -- NO
Do they provide an option to pay it off? -- NO

The point is - like other comment said, why do I like AC, Radio and even the mat? Will BMW make all these stuff only subscrption accessible?

Well, if you'd like to use your car for only 4 yrs and sale it, just get a lease.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah, but will BMW keep updating your car's head unit to the last hardware? -- NO

But that is true now. You buy a 2018 model. In 2025 it will still have 2018 software. BMW doesn't update software. Only just recently did they start updated GPS maps at no extra cost.[/QUOTE]

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Which is partly why I don't buy BMWs...

I kinda figured that out, but I still can't figure out why so many non-BMW prospects are hot and bothered by this news. In 20 years of driving BMWs there's been much more heartsinking news out of Munich. I mean the move from hydraulic to electric steering, now THAT was a moment to throw a vase against the wall.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
"Ooookeeyy after 18 hours of tough drive me and my beautiful wife finally reached Paris! woohoo! Now, i'll just turn on the navigation on my Apple Car Play in my tremendous new BMW, so i can find my AirBnb appartment with a beautiful view of the Eiffel tower, for which i totally maxed out my credit card. Oh boy we are gonna have some real love tonight!

"We sure will honey! <3"

"now let's see here... I just need to turn on my Apple Carplay for the navigation to work otherwise we'll never find this place!"

*click*

*Your subscription has expired. Reason: Declined credit card"

And that is how you piss off people.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This idea won’t last long. No one in their right mind would pay for that......would they?

Dangermen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
They should only be allowed to do this if:
1. They offer an option to buy it out-right
2. They truly offer support, bug fixes, etc for the LIFE of the car. I have an older car and they stopped producing software updates without any kind of announcement. They should be a lot more transparent, especially in this day and age.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I kinda figured that out, but I still can't figure out why so many non-BMW prospects are hot and bothered by this news. In 20 years of driving BMWs there's been much more heartsinking news out of Munich. I mean the move from hydraulic to electric steering, now THAT was a moment to throw a vase against the wall.

I may have a unpopular opinion here, but I like the move from Hydraulic to Electric Steering. It's one of the reasons why I bought my Escape.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I think you need to look in the mirror yourself.

BMW now charges $300 for CarPlay. So today if the buyer decides he or she doesn't like CarPlay after taking possession tough. $300 in the trash can.

If BMW uses a subscription model: CarPlay for $80/year, cancelable at any time, first year free = IF I like CarPlay I end up paying 3 years x $80 = $240. Last I checked $240 was less than $300.

OTOH If after a year I don't like CarPlay then I pay $0. $0 is definitely less than $300.
[doublepost=1516203284][/doublepost]

It's not. It's like a ground lease for software.

I guess you (as a BMW owner) just really don't get it. You are missing the point. YES, we know they are charging $300 now for Carplay. The point many like myself are making is, WHY?????? Why are you OK with paying for Carplay when no one else charges extra for Carplay? If you jumped for joy when you leased your BMW that they allowed you to pay them $300 for Carplay, then I guess this is a real celebration for you that you get to pay them $60 less over 4 years for something that I (as a Hyundai owner) pay ZERO, NOTHING for to get Carplay AND Android Auto forever!!

You see, those of us that get it included with our car cost just can't rationalize paying extra for it.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
If you owned a BMW and were a member of any of the BMW forums you'd realize that there is so much software in a BMW that is already locked out of any given model -- not just software but max speed, torque and horsepower too.

Which is why, outside of the radio (that can be as fancy as you'd like), computers have no business being in automobiles.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I may have a unpopular opinion here, but I like the move from Hydraulic to Electric Steering. It's one of the reasons why I bought my Escape.

To each his own. I don't think yours is the unpopular opinion there. Mine is. Most people do not like tight suspension and feeling the road. They like the cushy Lexus ride.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I guess you (as a BMW owner) just really don't get it. You are missing the point. YES, we know they are charging $300 now for Carplay. The point many like myself are making is, WHY?????? Why are you OK with paying for Carplay when no one else charges extra for Carplay? If you jumped for joy when you leased your BMW that they allowed you to pay them $300 for Carplay, then I guess this is a real celebration for you that you get to pay them $60 less over 4 years for something that I (as a Hyundai owner) pay ZERO, NOTHING for to get Carplay AND Android Auto forever!!

You see, those of us that get it included with our car cost just can't rationalize paying extra for it.

Or those of use who have standard sized holes in our dashboards for radios, can just install any radio we like, on whim, forever.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Or those of use who have standard sized holes in our dashboards for radios, can just install any radio we like, on whim, forever.

Not to derail, but that is not the case with many newer cars that use proprietary busses for getting the audio from the head unit to the amp and speakers. As long as you have a way to connect your Alpine or Pioneer or whatever to the proprietary connector in the dash that goes to the amps and speakers, then you're fine. But in many cases, that is not possible. While the hole may be standard, the 57 pin connector inside the dash is not.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I'm surprised by this. I didn't even know that there was a $300 upgrade fee in the first place. And the fact that it doesn't support Android Auto. Most cars I've been looking at have both, and as far as I can tell, both are always free. Not quite sure why they haven't fully adapted to support both and free, but that's the way it is I suppose. Not having either isn't a deal breaker, but it may make me look at other manufacturers alternatives in the same sector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.